What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

something old, something new......................

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Heck I guess I didn;t realize the price of it.  I always thought it was cheap to shoot.
You can get .45 factory ball ammo for about $12 for a box of fifty.  You can also buy reloads even cheaper at some stores. If money is the object, buy a used .22 semi auto. There are plenty of inexpensive Colt, Ruger, S&W etc. around.  Buy the ammo in 1000 round boxes and it is very inexpensive. Practice with it for a couple of months.  
The aiming and handeling characteristics of .22 and big bore handguns are pretty much the same.  When you get comfortable with the small bore, move on up to the bigger pistol.  Start out with targets at 30 feet.  Just remember, the more you practice, the better you will get.
Watch the OLN channel.  They have a program called American Shooter which is very interesting.  They had one guy on who breaks a ballon with a 1911 .45 at 100 yds.

If you get a .357 magnum, you can shoot cheaper .38 specials too. We used to load a revolver with .38 specials and put a .357 magnum in the last chamber. Then shoot targets with cheap bam-bam-bams and finish with a satisfying boom. The savings weren't real big, just a couple $ per box, so go for the .22 if you really need to save. If even that's too much, there's always super-soaker.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Sep. 26 2006,6:30)]If even that's too much, there's always super-soaker.
LOL  I hear ya Bruce.

The price of rounds are really not an issue.  I was just saying I thought they were cheap.  I am not at the point where I can afford a good pistal so I am just hanging out.  I have a little 2 shot gut gun .22, but thats nothing I want to target practice with.  Its accualy my wife's for home protection.  I do want to get a gun.  Although I really think it would be more satisfying to beat someone to death if they break into the house, and only use the gun if they had one.  I am not a violent person, but there is this side of me that wants to have a really good reason to beat someone to a bloody pulp.  Since I try to avoid that kind of action normaly.

When I got a .22 in late junior high/early high school, I went through ~500 rounds the first afternoon and nearly bankrupted myself. I doubt it cost much more than $5, but that was huge to me at the time. I already had a .410 shotgun and shouldn't have been so mesmerized by shooting, but the semiautomatic .22 just begged me to pull the trigger. I definitely should have stuck with a squirt gun.

Back