What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is that despicable bug that sucks...

Cindy

Staff member
..and carries a red blob on its back?

I have them all over my sarracenia!!! They are so tiny I can't take a picture of them but they move when I tried to squeesh them. All I know is that they leave behind a red-brown sticky dots all over the leaves. I believe my neps have them too because I see similar dots. But nep leaves are tougher and the plants are not suffering.

I discovered them after being away for a week. The whole plant had dots all over and when I tried to clean them, they came off with some water. I tried using organic pesticide and nearly fried the leaves. So now, I am stuck to dabbing alcohol on every bug I see. But they are so tiny, I am going blind!
mad.gif

Should I use systemic pesticide? But I am afraid to kill the plant. Any brand you would recommend?

Thanks!

spider mite?

I use orthonex. I'm sure most forum members will recomend it also.

Aphids.

I've used Ortho Systemic Insect Killer with good results.

Ortho%20Systemic%20Insect%2016oz__l.jpg

You might have the product called Provado, instead of Ortho brand.

If they are spider mites. orthene won't kill them. You'll need a miteacide.I use AVID for spider mites.

Ok guys, I found that it is thrips.
mad.gif
How do I kill thrips?

Oh lord. Thrips were the bane of my existence earlier this season. The ortho should work fine on those also.

flytraplady5, I've  used orthene for spider mites and it worked wonders.

Any photo's you could share Cindy?

Back