What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Carnivorous Plants, by Barry Rice

flytraplady, by ur nick it seems u grow VFT's too.....can u tell me if smaller traps...(total leaf size) compared to the long leaves and big traps on a dentate means its time for dormancy? I don't see the other characteristics...its still growing at the same pace....only the oldest 3 leaves that were there since the past 1 month when I bought it are becoming yellow and 2 of them are gone.

apart from that....back to topic.....if u have savage garden and the new barry rice's book. Which one do you think is giving more info and VFTs and which one in general is better?

I guess if u guys say that savage garden is a must have for ref...I may again get it
smile_n_32.gif
...hopefully michael at amazon.ca is not mad at me ;) .

I got my book today. Man, what a beautiful piece of literature! Great photos and great information.

Nicely done Barry. This book deserves to be in any CP grower's collection.

As for the above poster's question regarding Savage Garden and Growing Carnivorous Plants: I have both and I must say that both are must-owns. Go buy them NOW!

Got my copy of Barry's book yesterday, too. I'm still working my way through it. I'd have had it read by now but all the pictures are slowing me down
smile_n_32.gif
! They are gorgeous! Gotta stop and look them over good before reading on to the next page.

I'm still waiting to hear about how to get an autographed copy??

OMG! OMG!
My book just got here today. The photography alone is worth the price of the book.
I have only skimmed a section or two. Looks great!

What does this mean?
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

Label/Receipt Number: 9102 0095 9187 1322 6884 70

Your item was misrouted by the shipper. The error has been corrected and every effort is being made to deliver it as soon as possible.

Mis-Shipped, September 27, 2006, 8:07 am
Bullet Enroute, September 26, 2006, 10:48 am, GREENSBORO, NC 27495
Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received *, September 24, 2006

confused.gif
NOOOOOOO
confused.gif

It means that they are sending me your copy as well. I'll have 2 books. LOL
smile_n_32.gif

biggrin.gif

Ozzy You live near some one I know!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Sep. 27 2006,9:01)]
biggrin.gif

Ozzy You live near some one I know!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Yeah? Who?

My copy is on its way!
biggrin.gif

Oh, sorry Ozzy that the glorious postal system is giving you the run around for your book.

is barry's book the same "size" as savage garden...ie., like a hand book? or is it bigger with like poster size images ?
smile_n_32.gif

I really want to get it...but considering that it will be around 50$ in total to get it ...since I have to pay for shipping which is around 10$ ....its kinda putting me off.

Savage garden was better in this aspect as it was only 30$ in total....apart from the fact of me returning it. Though, thanks to you guys....I am reconsidering on gettting it again ;)

PAK et all
the only way that you can get an autographed copy of Barry Rice's new book at this time is to order it through California Carnivores. Disclaimer: I am not selling anything jest answering a question.
This book is hardbound and much larger, like 8x11 inch pages or maybe larger , than The savage Garden.
Lois

Is it 200+ pages as most sites are saying, or 400+ pages mentioned on Amazon.com ?

larry, it's 224 pages.

Cool, just ordered it. Now the waiting begins.

The book is physically much larger and printed on high quality paper. It is a good coffee table book. I don't know how they compare as far as word count. I think they are good companion books as Barry went into some more details on plants that didn't get as much attention in Peter's book, perhpas because of the fact they didn't exist in cultivation when the book was printed or were so rare it might not have made sense.

The book is worth it for the pictures alone. One is labeled as never having appeared in print before.

Stephen Davis
Carnivorous Plant Bog Gardens

Concerning amazon.com; adnedarn said he ordered his Thursday, 21Sep06. I ordered mine Friday, 22Sep06. I was quite anxious to get my copy since Barry was coming to visit Saturday, 30Sep06, to see my collection and I was hoping to get him to autograph it. Well, adnedarn received his on Monday, 25Sep06. It is now Sunday, 1Oct06, Barry has come and gone and I have yet to receive my copy of his book. adnedarn and I both paid the same, used the same shipping method, yet have had completely different experiences.
smile_h_32.gif

I would rather have visted with him for the evening then recieved the book earlier... I would have gladly traded you, book for visit.
smile_m_32.gif

laugh.gif

I think it is a little bit more of the Getting to meet the writer, and then have him sign it! lol! Whos gonna get it for christmas? Only 2 months away

I just got my copy. Ahh. The smell of new books.

Back