Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing Carnivorous Plants, by Barry Rice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.amazon.com/Growing....1928070

This book simply rocks.

My copy arrived in the mail yesterday. I skimmed through it quickly, then read the first two chapters.

The photographs are plentiful and gorgeous. Each chapter has a section focusing on conservation. The horticultural advice is excellent. It spends time on genuses, such as Aldrovanda and Byblis, that have received scant attention in other books.

Definitely the best book since The Savage Garden.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought savage garden ..but returned it in 2 hrs since it had only 4 pages of info on the VFT. The pictures were ok but not specacular. Is barry's book any different? I really love his faq ...so is the book into detail on the VFT with lots of pics on them?

if yes then I will buy it too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (vraev @ Sep. 26 2006,12:51)]I bought savage garden ..but returned it in 2 hrs since it had only 4 pages of info on the VFT. The pictures were ok but not specacular. Is barry's book any different? I really love his faq ...so is the book into detail on the VFT with lots of pics on them?

if yes then I will buy it too
    you returned it!? reading the whole thing is how i got into the other types of CPs!! before the book....i never even knew what a nepenthes, byblis, bladderwort, sundew or butterworts were!!...
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That serious was a, to put it bluntly, stupid move their on youre part budy, its great for refrencing.

Sorry, but its good to have on hand for some one who really wants to know about CP's, and you can show them pictures of the plants.

But w/e its youre choice! Becaues youre not gonna find a real indepth VFT book, other than real scientific information, alot of it useless to the common grower.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still impatiently waiting for my book to get here.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want to see something funny. LOL Steve (Elgekco) won his book in the auction a few months back. I pre ordered and paid for his copy right after the auction.

I ordered my copy two days ago. Here is my Steve's estimated delivery date.

Quote[/b] ]Estimated Arrival: October 2, 2006
    And here is mine.

Quote[/b] ]Estimated Arrival: October 2, 2006
    LOL

Good thing I ordered yours months ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont get it 0zzy
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Sep. 26 2006,4:23)]That serious was a, to put it bluntly, stupid move their on youre part budy, its great for refrencing.

Sorry, but its good to have on hand for some one who really wants to know about CP's, and you can show them pictures of the plants.

But w/e its youre choice! Becaues youre not gonna find a real indepth VFT book, other than real scientific information, alot of it useless to the common grower.
    well...the main reason I gave it back was to get back the 30$ and then use it for buying the light for the plants.

However, after checking out lights and so on....I can't get light for my size terrarium which is just 45 cm x 15 cm x 25 cm height.

It is soo much harder to get good lights for that size. So I decided to stay with the present ott-lite lamp. The plants are all growing....so it shouldn't be too bad.

Another reason as I mentioned is because of no VFT info apart from descriptions of few cultivars.

However, later in 2 - 3 yrs....IF my VFT's live and I go on to have more interest in growing other plants...(inspecific I like the Sarracenias and pitchers) then I will probably re-buy the book. Till then....I guess I can use the 30$ for my cell phone bill

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast