What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First batch of Sarracenia jewelry!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
My mother just surprised me with the first batch of Sarracenia jewelry. It's 99.9 pure sterling silver; it's incredibly realistic! You can see each individual vein, the ala, and the peristome! I left the camera at home, so I'll post pics monday or tuesday. If anyone is interested in them, let me know and let us know what you think when I post pictures. I plan on auctioning off some at the next charity auction. Right now they are just pure silver, but later I want to experiment with natural gemstones. She even added little silver dragonflies!

She's gonna teach me! she said she didn't like my S. wrigleyana, what do you guys think? I'd also like to make Dionaea earing and pendants, but the traps close! Any tips on how to cut fresh traps so they won't close?

Sonds cool. Be sure to remember to take pictures when you get the chance!

For the traps, just superglue a tiny little wire or something stiff to the back and that should counteract the closing when you cut it-- Are you guys doing carbon burnout castings? Those sar.'s would be huge jewelry wouldn't they?

No its an old post (got kicked off cause its past page 7)

But its Basicaly a special steal... they like make the jewlrey then cast it....

I think.

It is NOT steel. It is PURE silver, it's so pure that it's purer than regular sterling silver. If you take it to a jeweler it will test positive for pure silver. When you fire it the particles fuse. It doesn't tarnish like regular silver, because it's more pure. It also comes in 22kt gold. Please don't say it's steel because it is most definately not.

What old post?  

I've never heard of the carbon burning stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Those sar.'s would be huge jewelry wouldn't they?

That'd make for some serioues bling! lol Nah, these're small crafted items... Anyone have the link to the old topic with the pictures? ::too lazy to use the search function::
biggrin.gif

I'm using small pitchers. I took the lid of a big pitcher and made a pendant.

My old topic when my mom first started making things is here. sorry for the bad pics.

Here

vft's dont close when i cut them... as long as its kept semi wet it will stay open.
Alex

Yeah but then you fire em and they close and it sucks. I molded some cork and stuck it in the trap so it looks naturally open, even though it's closed on the cork.

sounds awsome!

so you just are using real size for the smaller CP's and making fake large ones?

When is the nepenthes gonna come out?!

I'm gonna do nepenthes when I get home
smile.gif
I'm using all real cp's.

Ooohhh Clint I may be interested in one of these from ya. I look forward to the pictures!

Yeah dude, I can't wait to show you guys! Right now i'm doing VFT's, more saracenia, and sassafras leaves. The "dente" traps work great but i'm not sure how the typical trap will do. The spines might just break.

My mother's gonna teach me how to use a blowtorch
biggrin.gif

I love blow torches!

I hope you can do the Common VFT cause that would look great, but wouldnt the "teeth" break off?

Yeah, I think the teeth will break off. I'm on my 7th coat and i need about 15. Even if they didin't break when I fired them , the silver would be so thin on the teeth that they would break anyway.

Here are some pics guys!!!!!

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01039.jpg

DSC01036.jpg

The bee on the sarracenia pitcher is a nice touch
Lois

I dont quite understand the other ones but NICE job!

The top left is a hood that broke off a big pitcher and the one beside it is a giant club moss "frond" My mom wants to clean up the raw edges and put a Tahitian pearl on the broken lid.

i'll post pics of them in just a sec. I dunno if the pics will show it, but they are 10 times shinier after they have been polished in a tumbler.

Oh yeah, the two bottom ones are wrinkled because they were dead when I picked them. the top one is fresh and looks good.

Hopefully you can see the difference. It's almost mirror-like in person.

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

Back