What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

well this is interesting.................

im a member of the local Optimist club. last night was our yearly banquet where we change officers. well the governor of our district(which covers Montana, Alberta, Saskatchewan and northern Wyoming) came down from Regina, Sask. for the event. during the evening he mentioned that the Regina optimist clubs would be selling beer at the beer graden at the Rolling Stones concert next week in Regina.............so guess what Darla voulenteered us to go up and do?

congrats!

Whats the Optimist Club do?

Looks like you do some good stuff!

I thought the beetles were dead
confused.gif

yah missed a word
smile_n_32.gif

its a very interesting group of ppl. well atleast my distric is, ive heard some of the others function a lil bit differently but we are still operating in the same way the clubs always have. you would actually be surprised how many ex-cops are in the club. anyways we know how to have a good time. we have 4 board meetings a year. since the October one this year falls on a Friday the 13 we have been told to prepare for Freddy Krueger meets Octoberfest
smile_n_32.gif

3 years ago at the October board meeting at the 6 am buisness meeting, i watched the incoming governor of the district down a 8 oz glass of vodka, swallow a live goldfish and eat a worm to show his commitment to the cause.

we party hard but we do get ALOT done, build playgrounds, help support families who have kids with cancer and about anything else we can think of

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Holly crap!

Sounds uhmmm fun! Cant wait to do join the Optimist club lol.

im told other districts are a bit more toned down. course our district is usually in the lead or close to it in growth world wide. so that should tell yah something. our board meetings are generally better attended than most which is odd since we cover about the largest area. ive driven 12 hours to a board meeting and i wasnt one with the farthest drive. some had closer to 18 hours. we take what we are doing seriously, but dang it we are going to have fun while we are at it!

12 hours? Jesus Christ! That's dedication!

no thats living in the middle of nowhere. i consider Billings(which is 4-4.5 hours away depending on howmany HP's are out) a day trip. if yah live in the middle of nowhere you have to like driving if yah want to do stuff. the closest walmart is a 200 mile round trip which should give yah an idea of shopping opertunities. its over an 8 hour drive, doing mostly 70 to get to the other side of the state. ill get up at 5 or 6, hit the road for Billings or Great Falls. get there at around 10 am, shop till 4 or 5, have dinner and head home. dont think anything of it. its just a fact of life. there are ppl up here who have kids that live 40 miles from school. lots of driving is a fact of life. we can put 100,000 miles on a vehicle in under 5 years.

hell we are driving 3-3.5 hours one way to voulenteer to sell beer at the Rolling Stones concert and we wont even see them. but stuff like this keeps life interesting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]we can put 100,000 miles on a vehicle in under 5 years.

did you say that right?
I put 100,000 miles on my cars in 5 years, and I have 5 Walmarts within a 10 miles radius..

I consider 20,000 miles a year "average" for just about anyone..
hence my confusion.

Scot

sorry...........let me expain.

we are running 3 vehicles(though the Jeep only gets 5,000-10,000 per year one year it got less than 2,000), only ever using one at a time on trips. my car doesnt get used for hunting, and most trips farther than 5 hours the car gets taken. so being that my wife and i are almost always in the same vehicle together we are prolly averaging twice your 20,000 per year. i think we are averaging between 20,000 and 36,000 per year, per vehicle(just counting the Impala and shop truck) depending on what trips we take that year

Back