Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The media is SO Stupid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our paper had a photo of a moose chasing a man. At least the caption said conservation officers/game wardens were trying to round up the moose and it chased one of them. If that's what the photo showed, it was a midget moose that was only inches behind the man. Or, more likely, the man was actually running parallel to a full grown bull moose running in the background and, depending on the length of the photographer's lens, the man could have been pretty far from the moose. But somebody somewhere made up an exciting caption to accompany a random photo.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate the freedom of speech some times....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, yeah, this is the incident I was talking about over on the Nep board. The result? folks talking about how they want to border their gardens with Neps to take care of their vole problem.....
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granted a house that has a border of Neps would be awsome, the mouse problem would still be an issue.

Yeah, using CPs as pest control is one of the two common misconceptions that I hear when talking to others about CPs. The other one being , "If I stick my finger in it will it eat it?" I being a up and coming genetic engineer and being sarcasic I usually respond with, "No they can't, not yet at least."
    -Doug

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it&#33 but 'That's funny ...'
    -Isaac Asimov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheAntiLion @ Oct. 02 2006,10:21)]"If I stick my finger in it will it eat it?" I being a up and coming genetic engineer and being sarcasic I usually respond with, "No they can't, not yet at least."

You will have to send me one of these crazy "Hybrids"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]All 3 statements are 100% false.
    Are you sure? OK, the first one is just them trying to be funny and failing, but the latter two might be accurate. There's annecdotal evidence of the capture of small mammals by large CPs, but has any of it ever been published in a scientific journal? If not, then it's not conisdered "proven" to happen.

This is actually the basis of my research. Plenty of people have seen snakes climb, some have even vaguely described it, but until now (well, until I get the darn paper done and published) there has never actually been a study of *how* they do it in terms of exact kinematics or muscle use.

Remember, from the scientific standpoint, until it's published in a scientific journal, it's just rumor. Hell, even if there *was* an account on record of a plant catching a small mammal, it might still be considered inconclusive since it isn't known if the plant actually absorbed the nutrients (versus the mammal just rotting) as determined by radioisotope assay.

So if they say it hasn't been 'proven' yet, that means you should document your experiences and find a local botanist who can help you publish in a scientific journal. Grab the credit for yourself!

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]is the first to actually prove that plants can indeed eat small mammals.
    Well according to you, this statement is false because they are saying that this incident has proven that cp's eat mammals. There is not scientific proof that the plant ate the mouse. Their claims are pure speculation, just as all the other claims that haven't been documented.

Quote[/b] ]Previously, insects were the only things that were known to be in a carnivorous plant's diet.
    Again just like you said, nothing has been proven and it is still not known that plants digest anything except insects.

Sometimes, you just have to use common sense. Something the media rarely do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12