What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good R/O unti?

Slower than RO? Sweet zombie jesus that's slow!

I guess you have a pint there.  I never took that into consideration.  All the more reason to stockpile it when it does rain though.  LOL  I am sure it does rain at sometime in Arizona.  Doesn't it?
smile_n_32.gif

Well, the solar still may end up being faster than an R/O unit. I have never run one, and forgot at how slow the make pure water. It may have the added benfit of speed too. LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Oct. 05 2006,2:21)]I guess you have a pint there. I never took that into consideration. All the more reason to stockpile it when it does rain though. LOL I am sure it does rain at sometime in Arizona. Doesn't it?
smile_n_32.gif

Well, the solar still may end up being faster than an R/O unit. I have never run one, and forgot at how slow the make pure water. It may have the added benfit of speed too. LOL
They do report that there is rain here in Southern Arizona, but they only report what is recorded from certain instrument clusters, at locations like the airport. Even during our rainiest seasons, Summer and Winter, it can often fail to drop any rain, on many large areas. We've been at our present location - a rural area, West of the valley that most of Tucson is in, for about 6 years now, the first 3 years in our present location, we received zero rain. There was some rain reported for "Tucson" at that time, but no more than a drop or two ever came within 5 or 6 miles of our exact location. When we do get storms, most of them are heavy and brief, preceeded by winds that create dust storms. This dust is then washed out of the air by the rain, thereby creating rainwater that is too salty and of low pH, and must be purified before it is safe to use on CP. Our usually high temps and low ambient humidity create the need for more watering than otherwise, so my limited CP collection uses about 40-50 gallons of water per week. I like the idea of using a solar still, and plan to put a few together as soon as time and weather permits (I already have most of the necessary materials). I also have a 600 gallon storage tank for purified water.

I bet it's easier to grow cacti and succulents than CP's huh?

Not nearly as cool, though
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 05 2006,4:24)]I bet it's easier to grow cacti and succulents than CP's huh?

Not nearly as cool, though
smile_n_32.gif
Yep, those are the weeds, outside. Saguaro, prickly pear, teddy bear cholla, jumping cholla. etc.

Dang!! I couldn;t imagine not being able to hear the rain outside. That has to stink. I didn;t realize it was like that there. OUch no rain in 6 years. Bummer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Oct. 05 2006,4:32)]Dang!! I couldn;t imagine not being able to hear the rain outside. That has to stink. I didn;t realize it was like that there. OUch no rain in 6 years. Bummer.
Actually only rain-free for the first 3 since we've lived in our present home. We started getting some rain after that dry spell, but it's nothing you would want to count on. Some years, very little, others much more, but nothing like you'd expect in Georgia. Yep, and I've always loved living in the Pacific Northwest on Whidbey Island. It only stops raining in August, there. My wife, however, is partial to "here".

Im gonna make one of those solar stills Would be easy enough and Cheep enough! GREAT idea! Would be some what of an Eyesore though wouldnt it?

Back