Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good R/O unti?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Dyflam @ Oct. 05 2006,4:53)]The "waste "water is not really wasted... it is returned to the aquifer.

However distillation requires energy which comes from a power plant which burns oil which causes pollution which causes global warming which will be the demise of humanity.

You make the call.
    Precisely. And where the heck are you gonna get "rainwater"? Certainly not here, unless you can take care of your plants with 1-6 gallons per year. And they don't mind it being so full of dust the pH is 8 or 9 and the TDS is 1,200ppm or worse.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're interested in distilling your water you can look into solar stills. Not much waste there and fairly inexpensive.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Joseph I guess it depends on where your collecting the rainwater from then and how your collecting it. I use rainwater exclusicly on my CPs and have no problems. I collect off the house when it rains. Of rouse I am here in GA too. I duno I guess R/O is just not for me. To much hype for something thats not scientific. I agree there are some instances for it though. Rain water works fine for me, and when I get my reserve to where I want it everything will be watered exlcusivly with rainwater. Right now its just my CPs as I am limited to 55 gallons. I was just throughing out distilling as an option I personaly don;t use that method. I guess we are fortunate here. Not all our power comes from petrolium. We have a nuke plant close to us feeding our power grid. LOL I will have to check out the sloar still though. Thanks for the link!

Edit: I just checked out the link to the solar still, and I think I am going to make one of those, eventualy! It seems simple enough to make and would be better, in my opinion, than an R/O unit. Although it would be slower at producing pure water though. Thanks again for the idea!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph is in Arizona so not much rain but a great place for a solar still... if you get the water before it evaporates.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slower than RO? Sweet zombie jesus that's slow!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you have a pint there. I never took that into consideration. All the more reason to stockpile it when it does rain though. LOL I am sure it does rain at sometime in Arizona. Doesn't it?

Well, the solar still may end up being faster than an R/O unit. I have never run one, and forgot at how slow the make pure water. It may have the added benfit of speed too. LOL
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Oct. 05 2006,2:21)]I guess you have a pint there. I never took that into consideration. All the more reason to stockpile it when it does rain though. LOL I am sure it does rain at sometime in Arizona. Doesn't it?

Well, the solar still may end up being faster than an R/O unit. I have never run one, and forgot at how slow the make pure water. It may have the added benfit of speed too. LOL
    They do report that there is rain here in Southern Arizona, but they only report what is recorded from certain instrument clusters, at locations like the airport. Even during our rainiest seasons, Summer and Winter, it can often fail to drop any rain, on many large areas. We've been at our present location - a rural area, West of the valley that most of Tucson is in, for about 6 years now, the first 3 years in our present location, we received zero rain. There was some rain reported for "Tucson" at that time, but no more than a drop or two ever came within 5 or 6 miles of our exact location. When we do get storms, most of them are heavy and brief, preceeded by winds that create dust storms. This dust is then washed out of the air by the rain, thereby creating rainwater that is too salty and of low pH, and must be purified before it is safe to use on CP. Our usually high temps and low ambient humidity create the need for more watering than otherwise, so my limited CP collection uses about 40-50 gallons of water per week. I like the idea of using a solar still, and plan to put a few together as soon as time and weather permits (I already have most of the necessary materials). I also have a 600 gallon storage tank for purified water.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet it's easier to grow cacti and succulents than CP's huh?

Not nearly as cool, though

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast