What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purified water

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Can I use it to water my cp's instead of distilled water?

-Niki-
smile_l_32.gif

You mean like those Brita filters? They only remove taste odor and color. Dissolved minerals, the ones we have to worry about, pass right through it.

I water all of my cps with regular water and they are doing just fine.

they'll be fine for awhile but the build up of minerals in the soil will eventually take its toll.

I just flush the pots every month or so, because I don't have the time or money to but distilled water for all of my plants.

I meant those 4L jugs I buy of distilled water, well my bf accidentally got a 4L jug of Purified water instead. So I guess it's no good?

As long as it isn't spring water or water with added sodium for flavor.

It should say how it was purified on it somewhere.

Thanks JustLikeAPill
smile.gif

Here is what the label says: OZONATED, DE-IONIZED.
SERVES DISTILLED WATER USES.

Does that last part make it alright to use on my cp's?

Thanks!
-Niki-
cool.gif

It's fine. I think ozone kills bacteria maybe? Dunno if it will harm bacteria in the soil. let it sit out overnight.

Deionized water is just one step purer than reverse osmosis.

Great! Thanks again JLAP
smile_m_32.gif

No prob.

Water that initially has mineral concentrations called Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) too high to sustain long-term CP health, can be treated in many different ways to reduce this TDS. Reverse Osmosis, De-ionization, and Distillation are just a few of them. Water with 10ppm of TDS or less, is considered distilled water quality. I once lived in a location where the tap water, sourced from a local river had TDS equal to distilled water quality (the good old days). Ozone, when dissolved in water becomes H2O2 (Hydrogen peroxide), it is very unstable and quickly breaks down again, into water and oxygen. Rain water naturally contains some dissolved ozone as well as other gasses.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 05 2006,11:37)]It's fine. I think ozone kills bacteria maybe? Dunno if it will harm bacteria in the soil. let it sit out overnight.

Deionized water is just one step purer than reverse osmosis.
Isn't brita water de-ionized?

No. Absolutely not. Brita filters have a carbon and sand filter.

If brita makes bottled water and sells it, then whatever it says, it is. I dunno if they make water and bottle or not.

Back