Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sand related question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

Sorry if this has been asked before:

I have always used Silica sand, also sold as Quartz silica sand in my CP mix. The main reason for this being that it is readily available, as it is sold in 50lb bags under many brands for a host of different applications. The other reason being I know it is free of unwanted contaminates.

The silica sand is very very fine, is their any benefit to using a courser sand? The bulk of my sand usage is for Drosera, however I am interested in hearing thoughts on other forms of CP's as well (Dionaea, Cephs,Sarrs...).

Thanks for letting me pick your brains,

Andre

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theoretically, coarse sand would have less chance of compacting. I've heard rumors that silica sand can lead to phosphate buildup, but those rumors were never substantiated to my knowledge.

I just buy builders playsand in 50 lb. bags. Dunno what's in it and really don't care I've never had any problems. Just don't use calcareous sands such as aragonite in brands like SouthDown.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the fine sand (It's finer than sugar) and didn't like it. I still have a 5 gallon pail full of it and I bought it ~2 years ago. It makes the soil mix very heavy and tends to compact easily. It is also difficult to prevent it from washing through the holes in the pot. I definitely recommend a coarser sand for CP mixes.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 05 2006,10:53)]Theoretically, coarse sand would have less chance of compacting. I've heard rumors that silica sand can lead to phosphate buildup, but those rumors were never substantiated to my knowledge.

I just buy builders playsand in 50 lb. bags. Dunno what's in it and really don't care I've never had any problems. Just don't use calcareous sands such as aragonite in brands like SouthDown.
    Unless you're using it (the aragonite) for your Pinguicula gypsicola media/mix.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Oct. 05 2006,2:42)]I tried the fine sand (It's finer than sugar) and didn't like it. I still have a 5 gallon pail full of it and I bought it ~2 years ago. It makes the soil mix very heavy and tends to compact easily. It is also difficult to prevent it from washing through the holes in the pot. I definitely recommend a coarser sand for CP mixes.
    A couple of decades ago I was able to obtain and use some 90 and 120 grit silica sands, and even some 12 grit, they were clean looking and white as milk. These days I'm lucky to obtain 30 grit that looks like a white teeshirt that was washed together with black clothes - kinda a dirty gray. It works suitably where sand is warranted, but I sure miss the option of using finer grit sands and would enjoy having some again. Back then, in Southern California there was also a milk-white quartz gravel, about 1/4 inch particle size, worked nicely as a top-dressing to supress moss growth and stabilized the media in the pots.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I could find here at lowes and home depo was builders sand and play sand. Now I haven't tried any pool places yet. I have started playing around with play sand for some mixes and it listed as bing silica sand, but it does seem fine, and would like a courser mis myself. I should be ok with it being quartz sand right? JUst being a little fine?
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quartz is fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using play sand for a while, of course you need to wash it a bit, but the plants don't seem to mind. But yeah, it does seem to compact the soil a bit. Though, why use sand at all for plants like Utrics or water-loving species of Drosera? I say, when in vain, forget the sand and use pure peat. Though, I haven't tried pure peat yet, but I don't see why not.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast