What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why children shouldn't play with drills.....

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
....because accidents happen to adults too.

I was putting in an LED in my control box  When I was drilling the hole for it it got a little happy and decided the plastic wasn't enough and went into my finger as well.

154917428O349025838.jpg

This looks better the day after compared to last night.

Word to the wise.  Always have someone else helping you to hurt instead of yourself.

LOL  Just picking  Although I have pierced a friends finger with a square bit before.  Oooops

Grizzly.

Ewww.. I've never done THAT before!! I have although.. went to drill through a piece of metal (about 2" wide 6" long) and the vice was RIGHT THERE but "This will just take a sec" Sure enough, drill bit caught, metal spun around, ripped my shirt, and just BARELY caught my stomach... That coulda been bad!! LOL (I added to your topic title btw- just so people know what they're walking into...
smile_m_32.gif
)

I was adding a air deflector to my the front of the hood on my van years ago.  Had to drill through the metal to screw it on.  Pushing the drill through the metal....forgot finger on other side applying countering pressure.......Ouch!!

Been there, done that.

smile_m_32.gif

I saw that title addition Andrew.  I knew I didn't put that there.
smile_m_32.gif
Thats cool.  The blood was the night before.  It was dripping really good  LOL.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Oct. 06 2006,8:51)]I saw that title addition Andrew. I knew I didn't put that there.
smile_m_32.gif
Thats cool. The blood was the night before. It was dripping really good LOL.
And were you good to your CPs and share with them or did you selfishly keep all the blood for yourself?

That looks painful. Your gonna have a little trouble picking things up with that hand for a few.

Believe it or not it does not hurt at all.  Besides the bulky dressing I keep on it to keep it clean being a problem there is no pain. The finger went numb right after doing it.  I have feeling again, but no pain.

Luckily it is on my non dominant hand.  It is the left bird finger.  So I can still type just not as fast as I used to and I can still pick things up ok.

Nope BCK I did not share with the CPs I went into medic mode and started cleaning and debreading the wound.  Yes I cut off all the skin I knew would die right then when my fingure was numb.  LOL  Its going to die and get necrotic anyway.  So I cut off all I could.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Oct. 07 2006,12:04)]Yes I cut off all the skin I knew would die right then when my fingure was numb. LOL Its going to die and get necrotic anyway. So I cut off all I could.
JB, that's two strikes!! One more and I shall chastise you severly! I bet you didn't give the dead skin to your VFT like Barry Rice did. *sigh* What kind of CPer are you? *shakes head*

The joking aside, I took a finger nail off last year, trying to open a valve on one of the drying beds at work. I said some words I didn't know I knew. It bled like crazy and throbbed for a week before it settled down to a dull ache which lasted a few more days. Come to think of it, I didn't occur to me to share with my CPs either
smile_n_32.gif

Now see what I am talking about? You go into Medic mode when you get hurt. I didnt; say any wordy dirds. When it happened I just backed the dril out of the hole got up and went into the kitchen and started running cold water on it. When the wife came in to see how bad it was I started giving instructions for the items I required very calmly. Since I get excited easy I try to keep it calm to begin with. I only snipped off a very minute ammount. I used to start cussing like a sailer when I got hurt, but here lately I just get really quiet.

I can imagine the nail getting ripped off would hurt. I have had both sides of both great toes operated on to remove and perminanyly kill the nails in the corners so I wouldn;t continue to get ingrown toenails and they sliced the skin at a 45 from the base back to expose the nail bed. Dang that hurt like crazy. I had to sleep with my feet up to stop the throbbing and couldn;t walk much for days. And there is still a thin layer of nail on two of the sides I have to deal with every so often, but NOTHING like it was when I was a kid.

Honey Helps keep it less infected! and helps it heal faster!

so far not infected and it is healing nicely with antibiotic oinment thanl you. The bee spit can stay and be used for a good treat or something. LOL

I work in a CNC machine shop. A few years ago I was setting up a CNC lathe and I had a brand new 1 inch drill that I was putting into the holder. The drill was held in the holder with 2 6 mm allen head bolts. I was trying to break the bolts loose and the allen wrench broke
smile_k_ani_32.gif
anyways, the side of my hand came down right on the flute of the drill and cut it down to the bone
smile_k_ani_32.gif
blood everywhere! It took 10 outside stitches and 6 inner stitches to close it up. It is still numb there where the cut was.
Since I work with sharp metal things all the time, I make sure I am VERY careful because it is way too easy to get careless and get injured. Be very careful when working with drills, etc...don't get in a hurry or take shortcuts or get lazy or you will get hurt.

AMEN to that. My finger was an example. I didn;t take all the nessisary precautions, and was doing it in front of the TV too. LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Oct. 07 2006,11:13)]Be very careful when working with drills, etc...don't get in a hurry or take shortcuts or get lazy or you will get hurt.
Here's another good bad example. During the winter about two years ago, a guy here in town brought his motorcycle into his house to work on . It was cold and he had run out of daylight and decided the kitchen would be a good place to work on the carberator and fuel lines. Well he was about 5' from his wall furnace which, being an old make, still used a pilot light to ignite the burners. He was pretty badly burned and his house and motorcycle were destroyed. The good news is the carburator and fuel lines were no longer a problem.

Oh lord. What an idiot. LOL I don;t think I would go that far or be that unthoughtful. Ouch

Back