What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honey Question

confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]that's crap.

an ingrown hair irritates the skin and causes a local reaction. the irritated tissue can abscess. typically, the abscess will be very small and contain a batch of white cells that have rushed to the area to fend off the irritation. usually pressure will build and the offending intruder will be expelled with what we call "puss". same thing happens with splinters etc. if the offending item is not expelled, the body will try to wall it off and build scar tissue around it.

SOMETIMES the area will get infected. this usually happens because the hair, splinter, etc. has taken some bacteria into the wound with it.

if your friend had put honey ON it, it might have gotten better faster! honey has antibacterial properties. they are similar to hydrogen peroxide, but much milder.

from a friend

My doctor said that the only reason why honey has somewhat of antibacterial properties because it has quite a bit of dead bacteria which prepare your immune system for a bacterial infection, but they do infact contain live organism in most cases.

Youre doctor is BS, Honey will form a MILD Peroxide, its enough to kill bacteria, So what you are saying is you shouldnt use peroxide cause you could get bacteria still.

confused.gif

youre doctor is stupid, dont listen to him

And JLP youre Statement is kind of redundant, if half of them failed in the bottom half of their class that leaves the bottom half not the greatest? lol

I have a horse with an infected sore on his leg that I am treating. I don't know if it is the puss or the cream that the bees like, but they are all over that thing like it is nectar! I cannot eat honey now without wondering if puss was used to make it.

Uhmmm ok, is it a wasp, hornet, cause that doesnt sound like a bee. Wasp's and Hornets love protine until the end of the season, then they go for the sweet stuff for reserves for the winter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Oct. 09 2006,9:31)]And JLP youre Statement is kind of redundant, if half of them failed in the bottom half of their class that leaves the bottom half not the greatest? lol
That's what makes it funny!

Believe it or not, the honey in the comb is actually more expensive than the honey removed from the comb. Many people who have tried honey in the comb swear by it (after a while, it is kind of like a chewing gum with a honey flavor.)
I keep bees just for the honey and the pollination of all of my fruits and vegetables (although there are certain things that they do not pollinate, they do a lot of it). My son especially loves the taste of the fresh honey. I use it because it is easier on the digestion (it is a simple sugar rather than a complex sugar like sugar from beets or cane), it tastes good, it is very useful for cooking, and I like the simple pleasures in life.
By the way, I noticed several comments about honey spoiling... honey can spoil if the bees do not cap the honey while it is in the comb. When capped, the moisture content is usually lower than 17 percent and at this point it last forever. Some honeys will crystalize (some faster than others) under c ertain conditions but this does not mean that it has spoiled...all you need to do is gently reheat the container in a warm water bath. If it is reheated under very high heat, it loses some of it's nutritional value.
You will know when honey has spoiled...usually after the container it was in has blown up. The only way you would get honey that will spoil is from a beekeeper out to make a profit. Stick with respectable beekeepers and you should have no problem (or if in doubt, buy it as comb.) Just do not ask me how the bees know when it is time to cap the comb...I am not sure anybody would know the answer to that!
Believe it or not, but there has been jars of honey that are still good that have been found in the tomb of various pharohs in Egypt.

Well I plan on getting a Kenya TBH and doing that eventualy to sell the Comb. I know I can buy industrial packs, but that doesnt seem as good of an idea, plus I will probably just sell the JArs with Some comb in it (some with some with out that way people would buy it)

Me? I still havent had honey comb..

as for what im going to do for a normal frame set up, im going to do a Horizontal hive, with frames... And I will be able to add supers on if I want to!
laugh.gif

I once had a comb with the honey in it, it's much better than normal honey, but there is a lot of honey in a small amount of comb.

-Ben

Thats why Supers with 8-10 frames can weight up to 90 pounds! (thats the big suppers theirs small and medium supers also) Suppers is what usualy holds the honey

If you are interested, they now sell frames that have the comb containers built right in... all you have to do is remove the filled comb and put a lid on it, then put an empty container in the frame and replace the frame. It tends to be more expensive to start, but it saves an awful lot of work in the long run and since it is pre-packaged, all you need to do is label it and sell it.
smilie4.gif

As an added note, the comb is usually formed by the ingestion of honey and it generally requires approximately 8 pounds of honey to create a pound of wax. That is one reason a lot of beekeepers do not sell comb honey is becau8se it ir requires a loss of honey.

Back