What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!!!!

• Thread starter FarmerDave
  • Start date
Please help me, I need some closure! Earlier my dad was feeling pains in his chest and his whole upper body all of a sudden went knumb, so he was going to drive himself to the Hospital but he couldn't even drive himself all of the way to the end of our driveway which is about 50 feet long. So my mim drove him to the hospital and after they got there my dad had a seizure. They used the heart zappers(or whatever they're called) on him and they want him to stay overnight because their worried about his heart. I don't know what to do and I'm very confused.

Please talk to me to keep my mind off of it for a while and maybe stop worrying.

Wow man. I'm sorry. I don't know what to say.

yeah, he's only in his forties and I don't know how well I can take his death.

what to do? theres only one thing. look to your friends as they are the best strength you can ever have.
Alex

Sounds like a neurological problem. Good news is they can probably medicate him.

yes they're going to put a tube into his heart and do something with a balloon and clear out the blood and oxygen passages.

The zapper is called a defibrillator. Your heart has a natural pace maker that tells the cells in your heart when to contract through electrical jolts (thus controlling your heartbeat.) Sometimes your heart will fibrillate, that is, it'll start spaming or the cells wont contract at the right time to you're not really pumping blood like you should. The zapper de-fibrillates the heart with an electrical jolt; the goal being to get the pacemaker back in controll and the heart cells all beating on cue so blood will flow regularly.

I believe the balloon procedure that you're talking about is a balloon angioplasty. Pretty much what they do is stick a balloon in a clogged artery, inflate it widening the artery. Then they sick in a metal spring thing that supports it.

I'm sure that in both descriptionar that I'm oversimplifying, but oh well. I'm no doctor.

Best wishes to you and your family!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sounds like a neurological problem.

Strikes me as a typical heart attack, but we'll see.

You can't help but worry and it's got to be scary, but he made it the hospital and is in good hands. If he's in his forties and needs angioplasty, the best thing for you to do (for your father and yourself) is to join him in any dietary and lifestyle changes the doctors recommend. It can be hard for one person to change, but it isn't so hard for two.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If he's in his forties and needs angioplasty, the best thing for you to do (for your father and yourself) is to join him in any dietary and lifestyle changes the doctors recommend. It can be hard for one person to change, but it isn't so hard for two.
man i agree with this so much its amazing... just think if you had to make a huge change to your life. it would suck if you were the only person to do it right? but if you have a person right there next to you that you love its cake.
Alex

Didn't know a HA caused seizures. You learn something new everyday.

Like I said, I'm no doctor. Could be a bloodclot or something else...

I'm so sorry... I'm thinking of you and your family. Please keep us up to date.

ditto... let us know how he does, i hope he'll be ok man.

Lets get youre mind off of this, Have you been able to get new plants? Go feed youre VFT befor it goes dormant soon! IT allways makes me happy, or go stare at some Sarr's or neps... or look at a Ping or Utric flower... or draw a silly picture of a Ceph with eyes and a funny qoute!

Thanks guys!

I just learned that my father will be ok but that he's going to have to make some serious life changes.

When my mom got him to the hospial he started having his heart attack. His artery was 98% clogged and they told my dad that if they had got him there any later he would be dead. Also during surgey the doctors said that my dad kept on sitting up and looking at what they where doing.

And the best thing was that after the surgery he wanted to talk to us on the phone.
smile.gif

Thanks for all of the help on getting through this, it really means a lot to me.

Est was right
smile.gif

Good news is he'll be fine! 98% clogged? wow.

wow. im happy for ya! any later and he'd be dead?...lets all say thanks to Dave's Mom!!
THANK YOU! haha
Alex

Sorry I got in late here guys, glad to hear that you dad is doing better Farmer Dave ! Lifestyle changes will be had to take but when the other choice is not so easy to take they come easier. Does this mean your gonna have to take up more farming for a while ??

I got here late as well, but I'm very glad he is ok.
smile.gif
As scary as all that is for a family, for a hospital, its a pretty common event. So they are experts at handling it. A close friend of mine had an angioplasty done and she's been fine. She has a "stint" in an artery and has had to make some lifestyle changes (although the problem can be hereditary). She quit smoking. She's working on eating better and losing some weight. Exercise is good.

The docs will tell your dad everything to do. Now you and your family will just have to help him stick to it. Be supportive, join him in any new diet or excercise routine.

I think your Dad will be around for a long time.
smile.gif

Keep us updated though.

Back