User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Peregrine falcons +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This started when I posted this thread back in March and the birds were identified as peregrine falcons.

http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....regrine

This is another photo of them.

While they were in residence no other bird survived in the area…except pelicans flopping around in the surf.
    Heck, not even sharks eat pelicans. They left in June and the neighborhood went down hill.
    Other birds returned and I woke up every morning to the annoying cooing of doves outside my window.
    Having breakfast on my balcony was a whole new experience.
    Sparrows were everywhere.
    Forget walking inside to get another cup of coffee…my toast disappeared. Wrens were bathing in the corner of my CP tray.
    But in mid-September the birds were gone. All except one tiny little guy who flew around with impunity. No bigger than a robin, he would come screaming by my patio in a
    near vertical dive, break right around a palm tree, break left around the flag pole, disappear around a corner and then do it all over again.
    The more he practiced, the more impressive his flight became.
    I took this time exposure photo at dusk with a 360-mm lens, which accounts for the poor quality.
    That is the same window ledge mom and pop used to hang out on. I have no idea what he eats. A good size anole would give him quite a tussle but he sure is healthy.
    Aaaaannnnd here's Chicklit.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awww!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awww Chicklit is adorable The parents are beautiful! I live in FL and I don't think I've ever seen those guys.
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awww...Chiklet is beautiful as are mom and pop. Peregrines are handsome predators.

I went to Busch Gardens recently where they have 5 bald eagles who can't fly (injuries, pesticides). So I was able to get some good shots. They are amazing birds...very fierce and regal.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. Are they only winter visitors there? It would make sense for northeastern peregrines to spend the winter in Florida. Probably have little shuffleboard courts and golf courses on top of buildings. And have supper at 4:30.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 09 2006,3:57)]Cool. Are they only winter visitors there? It would make sense for northeastern peregrines to spend the winter in Florida. Probably have little shuffleboard courts and golf courses on top of buildings. And have supper at 4:30.
    If they are don't let Ozzy find out. You know how he feels about "Snowbirds".
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not believe this pair migrated north for the summer. They disappeared from here in Early June and Chicklit showed up in Mid September. That is not enough time to have migrated, mated, raise a chick and fly back.
    I suspect they simply flew about a mile south to a large park on the intercoastal and raised him to “flying” size.
    Chicklit has spent every night on that ledge since I first sighted him. Mom was always in the area flying cover for him. I guess that is why all the other birds flew the coop. She spent most of Sunday afternoon taking a siesta on the ledge and has gotten much larger “filled out” since I first saw her.
    That was really neat since I had some friends over watching the Talladega race. We could see her from every chair in the living room. Some of the ladies sat on the balcony watching her and watching the race through the window.
    Chicklit made a couple of his "speeding bullet" passes and the ladies loved it.