What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

job interview

• Thread starter Presto
  • Start date

Presto

wicked good plants!
Staff member
so, 5 months after graduating from college, I finally, finally have a job interview tomorrow!

any tips for nailing these things?

-Emily

depends what kind of job. make sure everything is ship-shape about yuor looks. hair, shave, D-O...that stuff. sucking up doesnt usually help...trust me.
Alex

I want to wish you good luck! It took me over a year to find a job as a surgical tech after completeing that course. I had to move to get a job too. The school did not help place me like they said they would either. Anywho.

Tips. Lets see. Think of some questions and write them down. I am not sure what type of work your interviewing for so it is hard to come up with some questions to get you started. With the medical field, and typicaly with the OR where I work it is good to know if you have to provide your own scrubs or if the hospital provides them for you. It is good to ask about parking and if you need to get a parking pass or even pay for parking like some places do. Even though most of this stuff gets covered in orientation it is good to ask questions during the interview. Atleast in my experience they like it when they are not the only ones doing the talking. Step up and show them your not just a person that follows directions and answers question. Make it known that you have initiative to do some common sence things without being told you naeed to do this that and the other. By stepping to the plate and asking questions I think it points out that your willing to go above and beyond just taking orders. Show leadership skills. Show up about 15 min early for your interview. I would recomend leaving 30 min earlier than it would take you to get there just in case something happens or you get lost trying to park. I know with hospital parking it can sometimes be confusing. Plus you need to give yourself time to find where human resources is located and still be sitting in the human resources waiting room 15 min prior to your appointment. Dress nice ( I know you know that part) bring a pen and any other info you may need. Turn OFF your cell or leave it in the car. If your interview is out of town do not wear what your going to interview in on the way there. Wear streat cloths for the ride and change in a bathroom when you get into town. You never know what might happen on the trip and you could potentialy get your cloths dirty before the interview. Um I can't think of anything else at the momment.

What are you interviewing for?

Goodluck!

Actually I'm interviewing for a laboratory job at my college. Specifically, it's at the Center for Vector Borne Disease. Vectors are things like ticks and mosquitoes that can transmit diseases to humans. So the job, as far as I can figure out, would involve studying ticks to try and find a vaccine for lyme disease. I want to go into entomology, so this is a perfect job for me!

thanks, guys!
smile.gif

Well, then congrads. Hmm I would still say ask questions. Show yourself a leader and not a follower. Ask if you need to provide your own labcoat and stuff like that. Since you know more about the area of study than I do I whink you can come up with some pertinant questions. I would still sujest showing up 15 min early for the interview and still wear nice cloths. Again Goodluck. I wish you the best.

Best of luck in that interview , Emily.

thank you, lois
smile.gif

it went well! I met the assistant professor for the project, and it seemed they're eager to get me in there. I just have to meet the professor who's in charge of it all...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]make sure everything is ship-shape about yuor looks. hair, shave...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]-Emily

laugh.gif

Sounds like it went really well Emily. Congratulations!
smile.gif

thanks PAK!

hey, don't judge, maybe I'm a really hairy girl!
smile_t_32.gif

Pay attention and when they ask if you have any questions I would do some research on the company and ask about something, dont ask anything about what they can do to improve youre work time ( pay leave when do they have holidays)ask something about the company, or something about travel, or if you would need to further youre education. Let them bring up Pay and Leave, and if they dont let you know when theywilll have a desicion ask them when theywill know who they are highering.

Write a thank you note after the Thing and send it too them (next or same day) keep it short and simple.

Haha, I noticed the shave thing as well
smile_n_32.gif
But then I thought maybe Emily would wear shorts or a skirt and she would need to shave her legs
smile_m_32.gif
Anywho, I'm glad the first interview went well Emily!
laugh.gif

I was going to offer a few tips, but it seems that you've already gotten. so congratulations are in order!

But if I were going to offer advice, I would definitely make sure to be clean shaven and not displaying any signs of having bled.
smile_m_32.gif

Seriously, I try to do research on the company. In this case, do a bit extra studying up on the ticks and Lyme Disease. Ask questions. Be enthusiastic. Shake hands. Smile a bit. Dress conservatively. Don't be quick to mention that your hobby is collecting carnivorous plants - unless asked first!

crap I missed it!

STILL SEND HIM THAT LETTER!

thanks everyone!
laugh.gif

I didn't mention the CPs...though these are insect/plant people, they might be impressed!

tomorrow I meet with the professor......

did you mention how much Social insects rule?!

(yay Paraponera clavata!)

Here's hoping that meeting the professor goes as well as your first interview.
Noc em dead , Emily.
Lois

I got the job.
cool.gif

Sweet !! Now go out and figure out the vector for the CP bug. I got bit and know several others that have too, but as of yet I have not trasmitted this to my wife
smile_m_32.gif
Maybe there is a seasonal correlation or migration habits of low flying ducks ??

Sounds like you will like your new job, good luck.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ Oct. 20 2006,11:21)]I got the job.  
cool.gif
Yes!!! Now you can talk freely about CP's and grow a little stubble!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ Oct. 20 2006,11:21)]I got the job.  
cool.gif
Congratulations and good luck!

Back