What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this bug?

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Today I discovered that a bunch of my Sarracenia are infected with these little pesties... anyone have an idea what they are and how to get rid of them?

Thanks
Steve

bug1.JPG

bug2.JPG

Looks like mealybug to me. They're sort of like motile, wooly scale.

If the infestation isn't too bad, then you can probably go for physical removal with water and or alcohol. However, be mindful that they can establish themselves in the substrate as well. It may be wise to take a look at the media to make sure it isn't infested.
If the infestation is bad, then I would probably recommend changing the media or flooding the heck out of it for a few days (either with constantly running water or simply keeping it submerged; they're Sarracenia so they'll be fine with either, of course) as well as utilizing a systemic. Apparently contact pesticides can have a hard time killing off all of these guys because they make a wolly blanket of disgusting. For specific brands, see Barry Rice's book (you have it, right?)

If your plant is densely vegetated, I wouldn't wait for it to get out of hand. As with all scale, you are authorized to use EXTREME PREJUDICE. :puts on an army helmet:

agree with what it is... and get it gone QUICK. If it's bad, and your plants are well on the way to dormancy. Maybe just cut all the pitchers off. Treat the media with some systemic pesticide. and monitor closely. (Well, I'd treat then cut off the pitchers a few days later so you're not dumping the chemicals on the cut part of the pitchers...)

Mealy bugs! Nip those in the bud! They can multiply quickly.

Or go trout fishing with it.

Definitely mealybug.

Treatment: 70% isopranol solution if the infestation is mild; a systemic insecticide (e.g., orthenex) if severe. Plant should be isolated from others.

You may want to UNPOT the plant and check for root infestation. Mealybugs can attack the roots and the infestation can be even greater than what you see on the leaves. Root infestations are harder to deal with; systemics work sometimes. Some people report success with immersing the pot in VERY hot water for up to a minute (non-CPs), which supposedly kills the mealys and their eggs without killing the plant. Then UNPOT, wash the roots in tepid water, and repot in new pot/medium. This may work for a sarracenia since its main roots are rhizomatous, but I've never tried it myself nor do I know of anyone who has tried this method on CPs.

Mealys can be difficult to erradicate. Good luck.

definitely mealy bug. I would definitely unpot and check the media! You do not want mealies in the roots!!!! treat with a systemic.

Thanks everyone. I have treated my entire collection with Orthene and will be repotting most of my Sarracenia soon anyway. Hopefully this will take care of these little pesties.

Jim, you wanted pics of plant pests, so you can now add mealybug to your collection.

Cheers
Steve

I know everyone is tired of hearing me talk about Merit, but it works great for mealybugs too.  Those are definately mealys too.  THose little buggers will jump from you too.  Alcohol works good for minor infestations just rug them with it and it kills them, but I treat with Merit anyway.  Bayer advanced rose and flower spray, it contains merit and is a systemic.  Also it is not harmful to plants or animals since it is the same stuff as in frontline.

Back