Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lava rock, Dyna Rok II, Aliflor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone used and care to comment on the use of the following products in planting mixes for carnivorous plants? They are often used for orchid potting mixes, but I haven't heard of their use (except for lava rock and Pinguicula) for carnivorous plants.

Does anyone have any experience with these planting mix additives:
      [*] Aliflor -- an expanded (air-puffed) fired clay pellet product, I believe[*] Dyna Rok II -- a porous mined mineral composed of ancient diatoms, about 90% silica[*] Lava Rock -- natural crushed (or crushed and tumbled) lava that is very porous[/list]
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used lava rock for Mexi-Pings and Neps as additives to mixes. I have not noticed any major effect from using it but in my cases the portions are probably only 1 part in 10, sometimes less.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used dyna rok (diatomite) for Orchids for the past 5 years. I haven't tried it on CP's yet, but am planning to experiement. I think it would work. It's supposed the be clean and with a neutral pH.
    Probably try on a few pings first. It's not that cheap so the usual peat sand mix is probably not better!
    Peter.

Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive been using Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil lately as an additive. i believe its a fired clay product but i dont have the bag here at work. its heavier than perlite but its far less dusty(a huge plus in my book) plus at ~$6 for 10 pounds its pretty cheap hope to use it quite a bit with Pings but im adding some to my nep pots as well once they are in pots bigger than 6 inches, the weight helps keep the larger vining plants from tipping(mix is roughly 1/2 LFS, 1/4 coconut husk chips, 1/4 Schultz)
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shultz rocks! I use it as an aquarium substrate. It's light, doesn't float, doesn't grow algea, blends in well and doesn't affect PH.

It's made of Fullers earth or something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in reguards to the seemingly contridictory posts between JLAP and i as to its weight................its quite a bit heavier than perlite but by no means is it terribly heavy. i too have been using it a bit in aquariums and dart tanks. it seems to be very useful stuff to have around
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, it's definately heavier than perlite but it's lighter than pebbles of similar size like laterite or flourite. I should have been more specific.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used fired clay extensively. I've had success with every CP I've tried, including Dionaea, Sarracenia, Drosera, Drosophyllum, Pinguicula and Utricularia. It works well in the place of perlite and vermiculite - doesn't float like perlite and holds water longer than vermiculite. Looks a lot nicer than perlite, too.
    By the way, lava rock works for lots of CPs besides Pings, too, especially pitcher plants (particularly Darlingtonia, I gather.) I have lava rock in with my Darlingtonia, Drosophyllum, and I think a few Neps - I use it a lot with succulents.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast