What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Respect for Forum Off Topic/Inane Banter

• Thread starter JBL
  • Start date

JBL

I'll keep it simple. Lately there has been a rash of topics going astray. If you enter a discussion, keep it a discussion, on topic and not a personal conversation best done in chat or IM. You know who you are! Get together and annoy each other, not everyone else!!

The reason for me posting this? Well, I'm a mod, but not too active lately. Let's just say life is too short for this B.S. And I'm sure that those mods who have been stepping up (Suzanne, Dustin, Andrew and Ozzy) would agree with me. They have had the unfair burden of dealing with this kookiness lately and I'm offering my 2.5 cents in support.

I'm sure the offenders may want to post their rants, whinings, complaints and 'free speech' baloney here. Go ahead and make the mods day. We'll just ignore you. It may be best if you just heed the advice given to you...over, and over, and over again. We don't want to think you're sniveling pains in the behind, really. Just stop this garbage and all will be well.

As to the thoughtful majority of members here, you know this doesn't apply to you, so no need to waste your time responding. Your valued input is always welcome.

Thank God....thats all i have to say.

Just one thing I would like to add that JBL may have not touched on as much as I would have.

Please do not hijack peoples topics. Especially going from lets say a discussion on a hybrid Drosera and then going over to a discussion to something completely different like Sarracenia, with chatting in between. If you can't add anything logical and coherent to the topic then do not post at all, unless it is a topic intended for "fun" like in the Generals tab.

Thanks

Could you present examples so members can see exactly what you are referring to? Every forum online is different and I have noticed that what is most encouraged in one forum may be most frowned upon in another; so I don't want to assume.

The example NepG is talking about can be seen at this link.
Andrew

So the discussion would have been fine, and still is fine, provided it is taken to a new thread dedicated to it instead of derailing a current thread with a different focus?  If so, would the same apply to my posts in this thread?

JBL's first paragraph indicated it was something more and I'm slightly confused.

I think your post was on topic, but that's just IMO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 25 2006,10:53)]I think your post was on topic, but that's just IMO.
Thanks, I appreciate the reassurance.

The reason I asked is that JBL's first post could have been read as being against any set of posts that generally consists of only two members responding to one another; which the thread I linked to generally is.  Though I agree that off-topic remarks may be best served in a new thread, I wanted to get a feel for whether posts like the one I linked to (or the one adnedarn linked to) were welcomed here at all.  I feel that both were of more value in a public topic, where hundreds of lurkers could benefit from the viewpoints and knowledge made available, rather than in a PM, but do not wish to break the rules of the forum.

JBL, could you clarify?

You people look too hard into a simple idea. Basically in Andrews link to the topic I am referring, is someone asked a simple question then it ballooned into someone talking about sarracenia and darlingtonia and ridiculous question and reply of what does IIRC mean. In the link you provided Nicholas, you are not off topic at all, just quoting and giving your idea. It relates to the topic at hand. Chit chat and talking about nonsense does not.

I think you may be looking too hard into it? I haven’t read that would you vote for topic cause I don’t get into political topics
smile_n_32.gif
So I can't comment on that. the point of the one NepG talked about and I linked to, is the original topic was asking about a specific hybrid etc. The topic went to totally different Species (or a range of species). Although that would be a great topic, it just doesn't belong there, derailing that topic.
So what we're asking is if you read that topic, and came up with a similar idea- simply start a new topic, instead of taking that topic off course to your new idea.
As far as "chit chatting" or just two people going back and forth in a topic (which surely can happen if it's two major people with knowledge on the subject) But what if someone went into that topic, and asked another person what their signature meant.. then those two people went back and forth in that topic, talking about the signature... That's something that should go into a PM instead of in the topic, taking it off subject- and having to reason to be in a post.
Hope that's a little bit clearer?

so i cant hijack my own threads anymore..............
smile_n_32.gif
as in this one you guys are just no fun
smile_n_32.gif

nepenthes gracilis and adnedarn, that did help clarify things. Thank you.

Hey Nicholas,
Wouldn't that be funny if the most civil and calm political discussion in the history of the internet was deleted?
biggrin.gif

Capslock

Like I sad, I havn't read it.. But someone said it was getting deleted? I havn't seen any disscussions about it getting out of hand in the mod forum...
confused.gif

OK OK folks...settle down.  lol

This really isn't something to get your panties in a snit over.  There is nothing new here.  We've always had rules about being on topic and not posting stuff that's just space-waste.  And we're pretty lax about the rules I think.

No one is gonna get booted for straying off a topic.  It happens all the time.  I do it...everyone does it.  If it gets TOO bad, you'll just get a note from a mod.  That's it.  No biggie.

All you have to do is use COMMON SENSE.  If someone is asking a serious question, then try to help them...share what you know.  Even if it might seem off topic, if it relates in some way that might help the poster, then add it to the conversation.  In General, in personal or fun topics...have at it!  But don't start carrying on a private conversation with a couple of people adding pages and pages and pages of posts others don't want to read.

I don't think that's too hard a line to draw.  
confused.gif

So don't get all freaky.  Everything the same as it was.  Now let me get back to my squash.  MMMmmmmm.

Anybody else like squash?  Oh yeah.  That's off topic.  
confused.gif

smile_n_32.gif

No no no, it's the opposite. It was clarrified that the thread was perfectly OK. I'm just saying it would be funny if it were deleted. You guys are doing a great job!!!

Capslock

OH, I see... I'm sorry I didn't notice it. I'll go delete that right now for you.
No, I hate squash...
What time does diry queen open??

Do I need to edit your post? DAIRY Queen. And stop talking about it because you are gonna set me on the path to a craving...

so have we reached a desision on arming bears yet? trying to make plans for my spring hunting season and the talk of arming the bears has me torn between taking my hunting rifle or an AK........................
smile_m_32.gif

I still don't know what the heck you are talking about!!!
Yes Dairy Queen! MMMmmMmMMmmmmm..... Blizzard Shake Cone Slushy premade dilly bars for my own Dairy Queen experience at home chocolate in my Blizzard... OMG I gotta go!! hehe

Back