Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: The upcoming election

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ Oct. 29 2006,3:19)]Where did I go wrong?
    You left the door open for religion to sneak in. This resulted in a debate, and religious debates can get so ugly so quickly.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woo! I think this has been lively!

"At the risk of offending anyone…please do not bother to vote."

lol, I love you for saying that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With fundamentalists trying to control our government, religion is definitely a serious political issue for everyone, pro and con. If I was homosexual or homophobic, furthermore, gay rights might be the hot button issue for me. The most important thing to me is ending this Neocon wet dream of the Imperial President.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Lauderdale. Your post started off correctly, but got side tracked when religion hit the stage. To be honest I posted on where the thread was and not the original post. I would actually need to go through and reread the issues you mentioned to give you a clear answer to the post that started this thread. Although I may have gotten side tracked, The religious aspect of politicians does play a role in how some people vote. I will be back later with a response that does the first post justice.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the thread went sort of crazy there. and off-topic.

Seriously looking at the current situation, the dominant issue is the war in Iraq. Many of us feel that our unprovoked attack was completely unrelated to the terrorist attacks on 9/11. None of the attackers were Iraqi, and Iraq had nothing to do with that effort. In fact, Iraq was a dictatorship, but a secular dictatorship often at odds with the fundamentalists. So for many of us, the attack was unwarranted, and seemed to be more the idea of a neocon cabal bent on securing oil rights and a permanent military presence in the middle east. Since our President told us lie after lie about the stockpiles of WMDs, and the imminent danger of a nuclear Iraq, many Americans were duped into supporting the effort. We all felt like something had to be done after 9/11, which is why almost nobody was upset about going into the training ground of the attackers, Afghanistan, and booting out the sympathetic government there. But Iraq? Where did that come from? And it's no trivial matter, with 3,000 American troops killed, with tens of thousands maimed, and hundreds of thousands of dead Iraq citizens. And worse, we all but abandoned Afghanistan, leaving OBL on the loose and the Taliban in resurgence. This amounts to the biggest foreign policy disaster of our lifetimes. Yet this administration is defiant, painting opposing voices as terrorist sympathizers who "hate America".

So, for me, the most important thing in the next election is to find a President with some moral integrity, with an understanding of world politics. Someone who will actually tell the truth, and trust in the American public to support the right things. We need someone who values the Bill of Rights instead of viewing it as an annoyance to circumvent. We need someone who cares about the American public, and puts real problems like the rising cost of health care and the declining state of public education above pandering issues like making sure gay people don't get to marry. We need someone who will make us proud to be Americans again, because for a lot of us, these are not the good ol' days.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]MOST of you are saying that gay rights and religious beliefs are the reasons I should vote for a candidate.
    Strawman. I don't recall anyone actually claiming it should be the primary or only issue, merely one that should not be ignored.

Quote[/b] ]Very few of you seemed to be interested in the attributes that make a good president.
    Why does that matter? No candidate will have any of them. In order to be an effective politician in the modern day and age, you must be nothing short of a ruthless, power-hungry lying sociopath willing to do anything it takes to get what you want. And that goes for *all* politicians.

Quote[/b] ]-At the risk of offending anyone…please do not bother to vote.
    Why, because our priorities differ? I love how you assume that just because gay rights and religion has been the topic that derailed this thread, my views are confined to that and little else.

Quote[/b] ]You left the door open for religion to sneak in. This resulted in a debate, and religious debates can get so ugly so quickly.
    Precisely. I thought the original topic was a great idea, and I'd like to have a crack at that, but the thread was derailed by the need to correct the hate-speech spewing forth.

It's been a long time since I modded on an Ikonboard-run forum; is it possible to split threads, sectioning out certain posts and putting them in their own thread?

Quote[/b] ]
    So, for me, the most important thing in the next election is to find a President with some moral integrity, with an understanding of world politics. Someone who will actually tell the truth, and trust in the American public to support the right things. We need someone who values the Bill of Rights instead of viewing it as an annoyance to circumvent. We need someone who cares about the American public, and puts real problems like the rising cost of health care and the declining state of public education above pandering issues like making sure gay people don't get to marry
    I agree, but I'm not hopeful that such a person will be in the running. Instead we'll elect another person who is, in effect, a high-functioning sociopath, after power for it's own ends, because that's all there is out there to vote for.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mokele you make many good points. There is really no good candidate to vote for lately. That is why I like Obama at the momment, but even he does things I don't care for. I wish I knew who else was going to eb on the ticket so I could start formulating my opinions on them and choose the lesser of two or three evils.

Oh and they should be able to split this thread. Most message boards have that ability if your a mod. I know all the boards I modded at I could do it and they were not even Ikonboards.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Guys, if there is a way to split the thread, I don't know what it is!

At any rate, Mokele, you are one jaded individual. Elequently spoken, though.

Quote[/b] ] Someone who will actually tell the truth
    Yeah, right. How about someone who will tell less transparant lies? At least that would be a step in the right direction. And while we're at it, how about someone with a descent grasp of the english language.

Nucular indeed.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast