Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The upcoming election

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]-Was there anything that we, the British, Spain or Italy did to the Muslims that would justify the murder of thousands of people Caps?
    Not to me, no. Not prior to 9/11, and especially not by Bin Laden. However, there is nothing that hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have done to deserve dying either. I don't think we're blameless in the world, as people have legitimate grievances, but flying planes into buildings full of innocents is just wrong. And terrorists who are motivated by a desire to theocratize the world have no sympathy from me.

Quote[/b] ]So, John Kerry was duped into voting for the invasion before he voted against it?
    Yep. I still don't know where he stands on it, and thought his explanations at the time were weak. However, we were all deliberately fed false information by the President. Yet I had a good sense he was lying at the time - why didn't Kerry?

Quote[/b] ]-John Kerry said that a person who doesn't get a good education gets stuck in Iraq. Is it time for him to apologize to our soldiers?
    No, that's just a desperate, last-minute campaign tactic. Kerry botched a joke, but unlike the President, Kerry didn't duck out of his military duty. He's a decorated combat veteran, and I believe has more respect for the soldiers than Bush. There's something wrong with an administration of chickenhawks lecturing someone like Kerry about the military. Has Bush apologized for going AWOL on his National Guard unit? Isn't that just a tad more substantial than an isolated quip made by a combat veteran at an appearance? There's a lot of apologizing for a lot of things that has to happen before I worry about John Kerry. With the polls swinging the Democrats way, this is just another desperate, manufactured issue aimed at somehow turning the tide in the last days of the election. But it's just John Kerry, who isn't running for anything, and it's not going to work.

Or maybe it will. Who knows? I've been wrong a lot of times about a lot of things.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Also although i was not checking out the men, Arab women are extremly beutiful, its too bad they wouldnt talk to me.
    Ha! I could substitute ANY race in for Arab, and the same would apply! None of them would talk to me....until I duped my wife into marying me.

Quote[/b] ]-Was there anything that we, the British, Spain or Italy did to the Muslims that would justify the murder of thousands of people Caps?
    No, there certainly wasn't. This, however, does NOT mean that people greivances against us aren't justified. I'm not sure you were trying to imply that, but if you were, it's a straw man.

Quote[/b] ]-So, John Kerry was duped into voting for the invasion before he voted against it?
    You know, I heard something really good about this (not Kerry, but people in general who voted for then against the war) on Real Time with Bill Maher - I can't remember who said it, but it was something along the lines that many people voted for the war even though they didn't really want to because they were afraid of committing politcal suicide. That doesn't justify it, but it's interesting, at least.

Quote[/b] ]-John Kerry said that a person who doesn't get a good education gets stuck in Iraq. Is it time for him to apologize to our soldiers?
    And? I can't tell you how many times I've said things that were funny to me, only to find out my audience wasn't too amused. So what? That somehow means Bush is doing a better job? That man can't even speak English. for heaven's sake!

I can't really comment on the rest because I would be speaking in ignorance, so I'll let others tackle those.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it seems I am in disagreance with the Kerry statement. It sure did not sound like a patched attempt at a joke. I have always been told that it is walks like a duck, quacks like a duck you can be prety sure it is a duck. Yet that really is not the issue at hand. Even had he been trying to put on a so called "joke", it was still offencive and he should appolagize. JUst because it is a mistake doesn;t mean he should get off scott free. There is alot of truth said in jest.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has indeed now apologized. But I think it's dishonest to say that this reveals that he thinks the military is stupid, and I think some of the "outrage" is manufactured to cover for real election issues. Can you believe we're days away from an important election, and we've been diverted to talking about a single sentence uttered in jest by someone who isn't running for anything? That can only happen as the result of a carefully managed campaign strategy. We should reject the temptation and focus on the actual election issues.

Casplock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, everyone, here it is in a nutshell.... I don't 100% agree with this, but consider the source (talk about many a truth said in jest).....

Quote[/b] ]Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)

"I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace.

So, here's one plan."

1) "The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those "good ole boys", we will never "interfere" again..

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea, the Middle East, and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!!

France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide h ere... Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing non polluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else(like Canada ! or Oklahoma!). They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given
    to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building woul d make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses."

She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' "

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I can't believe he'd say that.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ Oct. 31 2006,6:34)]I suspect that many nations are just plain jealous of our standard of living. Well, we worked hard to achieve that and maybe if they quit hating each other and tried working together they might achieve something other than killing each other. There is certainly enough oil wealth in those nations to give everyone there a better standard of living.
    "Our" standard of living? Which "us" are you referring to, the rich or the poor? I certainly hope you aren't lumping all of America into the same socioeconomic group. The way I see it, there are at least two groups of Americans in this respect - those who are impoverished or just scraping by, and those who are extremely well off - in addition to a middle ground where people live like they're well off on enormous piles of debt. I hardly think the "we" that most other nations look on with jealousy and scorn is the same "we" that broke its back making this country the success that it is. If you take the time to look, I have a feeling you'll find that very few of the families holding the wealth and power in this nation were the ones whose ancestors worked the fields in indentured servitude. Nor will they be the the ones descended from pre-union sweatshops, or those who went broke on shady financial practices. Bush Jr.'s record goes to show that these aren't even the people who bother to go out and actually fight for our success.
    And if these jealous nations are well-off enough to improve everyone's standard of living, why are we - one of the richest, most industrious countries around - still stuck in the toilet when it comes to basic things like education, health care, and poverty? We have our fingers in every economy in the world, so if the Middle East can bootstrap themselves on a dying industry like oil, why haven't we managed to do anything with the entirety of human industry at our disposal?
    Your arguments are flawed, speculative at best. You assume that we are a country ruled by the people, but if you take the time to look, the evidence points strongly to the contrary.
    As a last point, I'd like to say something with regards to this whole assinine Kerry debacle. Was his comment so off-target? I think there's a lot of truth to it. I've always found it awfully convenient that there was a minor recession, coincided by a deluge of military recruitment, shortly before Bush and company allowed the 9/11 incident and conjured up a war on the Middle East. I know a lot of kids that I went to school with who signed on shortly before 9/11, because they couldn't find better pay. And guess what? These weren't honor roll students. Given that conservative agendas constantly push education aside as a priority, it all seems a little too choreographed.
    I also think that this retaliation is rather telling, as it exposes a chronic, severe lack of education/literacy on the part of nearly all Americans. Kerry said (to paraphrase) that those with little education end up stuck in Iraq. He said nothing about soldiers, America's military, or any vaguely patriotic topic. Kerry is postulating on those with little education, not those in the military; his statement doesn't proclude the existence of educated soldiers. It doesn't even assert that any of the military is poorly educated. If you're buying into the republican propaganda that says Kerry is somehow dissing soldiers, then you're either very gullible or lacking in basic English comprehension skills.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/williams.asp

In the interests of accuracy, Robin Williams did NOT write or say the piece above. Just the last line about the Statue of Liberty.

Capslock

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast