User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 48 of 175

Thread: The upcoming election

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting back on topic, some issues that would force me to vote for any candidate, regardless of anything else:

    Unhindered stemm cell research.
    I don't appreciate how the government can look at the potential SC research has to offer, and say "pass". Sure, you could use legally and consentually obtained stem cells, sure, you would save billions of lives (over time), but nah...that'd be against god.

    Ab0r+i0n.
    I bet no one is going to agree with me on this one, since I have yet to find anyone who does, but you have the religious right saying that "medical procedure is murder", and everyone else saying they don't care about the issue, or women have the right to choose (well i think men should have a right too, we're the ones that have to pay for said child). In my eyes, a baby shouldn't be considered life until it can survive on its own. I don't mean find its own food and stuff, but I mean not dying shortly after being born. Premature babies would have absolutely no chance of surviving if it wasn't for hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more) in medical care. Until 8 months or whatever, when a child can survive without critical care, medical procedure should be perfectly legal and NOT AN ISSUE. Of course, the people that get mad about medical procedure think they have god on their side, but wait...how many people throughout history have thought they had god on their side, and proved to be wrong? Oh wait...all of them.

    Abolish welfare and social security.
    I don't like my hard earned money going to other people. If you work a mediocre job because of lack of education, disability, whathaveyou...when you retire, move somewhere cheap like Oklahoma or Bulgaria. If you don't have the foresight to save and budget your own money and expect the gov't to do it for you: thanks for playing the game of life...you lose.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

  2. #42
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    5,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] It seems to me people like Mokele and JustLikeAPill have a bigger agenda than just getting equal rights for Gays/Lesbians. They want to use the law of the land to try and make homosexuality MORALLY equal to traditional marriage of two opposite sexes. It's never been about the civil rights of being married, it's always been about trying to be morally acceptable and it is not!

    Well, this is an interesting idea - though I beleive you are wrong about the "never been about civil rights" part.

    I mean, can you blame them for saying that they are, in fact, of equal morality? There is NO, I REPEAT NO, hard, scientific evidence to the contrary.

    All moral judgements on sexuality are born from emotion and/or religion.

    Also, if you think that it's immoral, fine. Stay in the closet and be miserable your whole life. But don't try and impress your morals on others who may not share them.

    If your argument for their imorality is a religios one, well, then too bad. You can't have a say in the laws. Not allowed.

    You cannot show how it harms other people, because it doesn't. Keep your nose out of other peoples' bedrooms.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

    YOU! Outta my gene pool!

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Oct. 26 2006,4:50)]The war on terror... Terrorists people aren't just generally hateful people who arbitrarily pick the U.S. or Israel to bomb. They are willing to commit suicide because they somehow believe they're doing society a favor. If we were really helping folks out, they wouldn't hate. If they had comfortable lives, they probably wouldn't hate us. The fact is that U.S. foreign policy with our need to control everybody's problem while we sit here watching it through our giant plasma TV's has made us as many enemies as friends.
    There are many reasons why terrorists chose to target the United States and Isreal, and the reasons differ for each target. The United States is in my opinion the worlds bully, economically and militarily. We often prop up unpopular dicators who are favorable to the United States regaurdless of how the people of that country feel. The United States also seeks peace at the end of a gun barrel. Just because we have the power to decimate a country does not mean we should. I also firmly believe that violence results in a violent responce, hence our violent attacks result in returned violence. ALso if anyone says they hate our freedom all I have to say that is why dont the bomb the dutch then (arguably the most liberal and free people of earth in my opinion)

    Isreal is the target of terrorists because of its turblent past, its current policies twords it neighbors, its occupation of Palestine and mistreatment of Palestinians, its refusal to listen to the world community, its war crimes, etc..

    To lump the two countries together as being attacked for the same reasons is a falicy, the people who attack Isreal do not attack the United States and if they do its only because our support of Isreals unpopular actions (look at the US response to Isreal invading Lebanon, we rushed them more bombs, Also the United States gives about 4 billion a year to Isreal for defence, this makes us unpopular in the Middle East as Isreal often uses their "defence froce" to attack its neighbors) Obiously this is a more complex issue than i have summed up here and im sure their are topics i did not address but im posting on a forum not writing a diseratation here.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

  4. #44
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Sarrfiend @ Oct. 26 2006,3:56)]It seems to me people like Mokele and JustLikeAPill have a bigger agenda than just getting equal rights for Gays/Lesbians. They want to use the law of the land to try and make homosexuality MORALLY equal to traditional marriage of two opposite sexes. It's never been about the civil rights of being married, it's always been about trying to be morally acceptable and it is not!
    It's already morally equal and acceptable to most people.

    Thanks for joining just to say that. It really means a lot. Really helps your credibility. Who do you think you are, anyway?

    And you know, why we are at it, where do you people get off making such a big deal out of marriage and morality? Have you forgotten that the divorce rate is about 50%, and the other 50% most definately has some infidelity in a good portion of it. Where is this "sanctity of marriage" all you people talk about? I sure don't see it. Who are you as a citezen of the US to define morality? Are you god? where is this god anyway? I can't believe in those things that don't believe in me. YOU do NOT define morality for ME nor anyone else and I don't for you. What are you afraid of? men having sex in the streets, parks and shoolyards? Afraid of Amyl Nitrate stands popping up next to your Hooters? Your conspiracy theory just makes you sounds paranoid Sorry, hate to ruin your fantasies. Not going to happen. You might find us in the PTA meetings, though.


    Man, It's really hard to censor yourself.

  5. #45
    Capslock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deep breaths JLAP! Take deep breaths! LOL!

    Of course you're right about this. I don't actually take issue with people following their religious beliefs. That is their absolute right, and I'll fight to preserve their right to do just that.

    The problem is when things go from "having an opinion" to supporting a law that affects others. Advocating bringing the power of government to bear against others is not "just expressing an opinion". It's materially and physically imposing on others. Which in some cases is called for (murderers, etc.) But in cases like that, it goes well beyond having beliefs or opinions and into the realm of concrete action.

    And this goes to the original question about what are the important election issues. Remember, this country was founded to escape religious persecution, and to set up a country where you can be any religion, or none at all. Everyone's rights are respected provided they aren't breaking the law and hurting others. Freedom and liberty were words and concepts heavily used by our founding fathers. And preserving their views and radical (for the time) ideas is what's important to me in the next election.

    Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

    My photos are copyright-free and public domain

  6. #46
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh boy you'r right caps.

    I'm sorry for insulting your religion. What I was trying to say is that god doesn't get a vote in america.

  7. #47
    War. War never changes. Est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    3,935
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Sarrfiend @ Oct. 26 2006,12:56)]It seems to me people like Mokele and JustLikeAPill have a bigger agenda than just getting equal rights for Gays/Lesbians. They want to use the law of the land to try and make homosexuality MORALLY equal to traditional marriage of two opposite sexes. It's never been about the civil rights of being married, it's always been about trying to be morally acceptable and it is not!
    AAAAAHAHAHAHA!

    I'm sorry, but this is TOO rich, guys. Here we have a conversation where people are bringing up some logical, meaningful points from reliable sources. We have pages of discussion which delves deep in to a contravercial issue in a meaninful and educated manner.

    Than some no-name comes in and takes a crap on logic.

    Bless this internet!

    Ahhh, I think I need to change my pants.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]It seems to me people like Mokele and JustLikeAPill have a bigger agenda than just getting equal rights for Gays/Lesbians. They want to use the law of the land to try and make homosexuality MORALLY equal to traditional marriage of two opposite sexes. It's never been about the civil rights of being married, it's always been about trying to be morally acceptable and it is not!
    For someone with a whopping one post, you seem to know us well.

    Since the painfully obvious seems to ellude you, I'll spell it out for you: While I believe that people like Outsiders71 and yourself are no better than racists or the Taliban, I firmly believe you have a right to your opinions, no matter how mis-informed and hateful.

    However, your right to have opinions on my sexuality does *NOT* extend to denying me basic civil rights. You can claim I'm an evil monster all you like; plenty of people already do, but the basis of this country's freedom is that I can live my life without you imposing your morality on me, and vice versa. If you don't like that, go live somewhere with a climate more to your tastes, like Iran.

    Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •