What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The upcoming election

Ok, everyone, here it is in a nutshell.... I don't 100% agree with this, but consider the source (talk about many a truth said in jest).....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)

"I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace.

So, here's one plan."

1) "The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those "good ole boys", we will never "interfere" again..

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea, the Middle East, and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!!

France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide h ere... Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing non polluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else(like Canada ! or Oklahoma!). They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given
to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building woul d make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses."

She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' "

Wow, I can't believe he'd say that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ Oct. 31 2006,6:34)]I suspect that many nations are just plain jealous of our standard of living.  Well, we worked hard to achieve that and maybe if they quit hating each other and tried working together they might achieve something other than killing each other.  There is certainly enough oil wealth in those nations to give everyone there a better standard of living.
"Our" standard of living? Which "us" are you referring to, the rich or the poor? I certainly hope you aren't lumping all of America into the same socioeconomic group. The way I see it, there are at least two groups of Americans in this respect - those who are impoverished or just scraping by, and those who are extremely well off - in addition to a middle ground where people live like they're well off on enormous piles of debt. I hardly think the "we" that most other nations look on with jealousy and scorn is the same "we" that broke its back making this country the success that it is. If you take the time to look, I have a feeling you'll find that very few of the families holding the wealth and power in this nation were the ones whose ancestors worked the fields in indentured servitude. Nor will they be the the ones descended from pre-union sweatshops, or those who went broke on shady financial practices. Bush Jr.'s record goes to show that these aren't even the people who bother to go out and actually fight for our success.
And if these jealous nations are well-off enough to improve everyone's standard of living, why are we - one of the richest, most industrious countries around - still stuck in the toilet when it comes to basic things like education, health care, and poverty? We have our fingers in every economy in the world, so if the Middle East can bootstrap themselves on a dying industry like oil, why haven't we managed to do anything with the entirety of human industry at our disposal?
Your arguments are flawed, speculative at best. You assume that we are a country ruled by the people, but if you take the time to look, the evidence points strongly to the contrary.
As a last point, I'd like to say something with regards to this whole assinine Kerry debacle. Was his comment so off-target? I think there's a lot of truth to it. I've always found it awfully convenient that there was a minor recession, coincided by a deluge of military recruitment, shortly before Bush and company allowed the 9/11 incident and conjured up a war on the Middle East. I know a lot of kids that I went to school with who signed on shortly before 9/11, because they couldn't find better pay. And guess what? These weren't honor roll students. Given that conservative agendas constantly push education aside as a priority, it all seems a little too choreographed.
I also think that this retaliation is rather telling, as it exposes a chronic, severe lack of education/literacy on the part of nearly all Americans. Kerry said (to paraphrase) that those with little education end up stuck in Iraq. He said nothing about soldiers, America's military, or any vaguely patriotic topic. Kerry is postulating on those with little education, not those in the military; his statement doesn't proclude the existence of educated soldiers. It doesn't even assert that any of the military is poorly educated. If you're buying into the republican propaganda that says Kerry is somehow dissing soldiers, then you're either very gullible or lacking in basic English comprehension skills.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Nov. 01 2006,5:03)]As a last point, I'd like to say something with regards to this whole assinine Kerry debacle. Was his comment so off-target? I think there's a lot of truth to it. I've always found it awfully convenient that there was a minor recession, coincided by a deluge of military recruitment, shortly before Bush and company allowed the 9/11 incident and conjured up a war on the Middle East. I know a lot of kids that I went to school with who signed on shortly before 9/11, because they couldn't find better pay. And guess what? These weren't honor roll students. Given that conservative agendas constantly push education aside as a priority, it all seems a little too choreographed.
I also think that this retaliation is rather telling, as it exposes a chronic, severe lack of education on the part of nearly all Americans. Kerry said (to paraphrase) that those with little education end up stuck in Iraq. He said nothing about soldiers, America's military, or any vaguely patriotic topic. Kerry is postulating on those with little education, not those in the military; his statement doesn't proclude the existence of educated soldiers. It doesn't even assert that any of the military is poorly educated. If you're buying into the republican propaganda that says Kerry is somehow dissing soldiers, then you're either very gullible or lacking in basic English comprehension skills.
~Joe
Yeah I noticed the same thing but didn't say anything. Are the smartest kids going to go join the army? hah! No they will go to college. If they use the military to get to college because they can't afford it otherwise, that's a different story.

I don't support the army anyway. It's so... I dunno. Lots of unethical things happening these days, especially when The **** promotes torture. Not to mention the gay community isn't good enough.

Clint & Joe - Just because each of you went to school with a couple of kids that joined the armed forces and they werent 'honor roll students' does not mean that the less intelligent people are the only ones to join. You cannot take a few examples that you are aware of and make a large generalization. Take a look at a few studies, they show time and time again that specific age brackets in the armed forces have equal to or higher intellingence then the same age bracket of people in the US.

Yes, I knew someone would say something. . That's why I was afraid to say something.

For example, my mom's ex husband (not my father) was a crack head and joined just to clean up his record.

I retract my statement and i'm sorry for any offense. It's just a pattern i've noticed. I do support you, wolf9. I don't support the war, but I support the soldiers.

I'm taking a contrarian position and supporting the war, but NOT the troops.
smile_n_32.gif
(obviously joking!)

Capslock

Lol caps

Really though, it's important for you guys to understand that we understand that you didn't get us into this. You are just doing your job. We shouldn't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch because you guys have families and kids and mean a lot to the country. I'm too much of a wimp to do it, that's for sure.

I promised myself I would not post this.  I really did…I lied.

Monday
John Kerry makes his “stuck in Iraq” statement.
The Republicans sharpen their swords.
Our troops use old Kerry campaign posters for target practice.

Tuesday
John Kerry says he will never apologize…that it was simply a botched joke.
Four members of his own party criticize him.
Bill and Hillary want no part of this one.
Nancy Pilosi is silent, no where to be found.
Kerry cancels all campaign appearances for the next day.

Wednesday
He apologizes to the members of our military. Says his statement was misinterpreted…no mention of the “joke” excuse.
Soooo…Was he for the botched joke before he was against it.
National news organizations show film clip of a platoon of soldiers in Iraq holding up a very large banner that says, “Help us John Kerry, we are stuck in Iraq.”

I LOVE IT.

Just for the record, 98% of our military have a high school diploma, far higher than their civilian counterparts.  96% of our officers have a college degree.
George Bush Graduated from Yale with a higher GPA than John Kerry.

Lol, I thought the banner was funny, too.

I was wrong about the soliers. I'm sorry.

We really can't assume The Bush got through yale by himself, can we? Nucular. eh heh heh.

FYI, Hillary did comment on it.

I just can't believe we're talking about a lame one-liner from a guy that isn't running for anything when we have an actual election coming up with very real issues affecting the whole world at stake.

I think that's the point of it, though. To distract.

Capslock

He should have known better than to make a joke. He's not funny. Leave the jokes to The Bush and the real issued to the Dems.

I don't care of Kerry at all but I would rather start hearing more important news. I think it was a bad joke personally, I dont think he would say what it seemed he said even if he thought it true. There is an important election in about a week, this is just distracting from it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ Nov. 01 2006,3:49)]-Didn't Hamas start lobbing rockets into Israel before Israel invaded Lebanon ktulu?
-Does Israel not have the right to exist?
Actully you need to make sure you attribute things to the right parties. It was Hezballah not Hamas (both majority Palestinian, but very differnt Ideas and goadls) that was involved, Hamas is the current ruling majority part of the palestinian state. Hezballah actully attacked an Isreali military position and took some soiliders hostage and killed a few more. The rocket attacks came in response to Isreal saturation bombing (including both cluster bombs and chemical weapson, for those who want it cited, it was reported by the BBC on a Syria News channel however i dont know which one.) civlians in southern Lebanon and around Beruit. This whole thing started after Isreal destroyed a water treatment plant in the West Bank effectivly cuting off many Palestinians from any source of water.

And since you asked, no I do not believe Isreal has a right to exist in its current state. If Isreal wants to remain where it is I believe it needs to work with Palestinians to establish a One State, secular, represenative solution to this conflict. Isreal needs to be willing to give up Jersulem and make it a city for peoples of all faiths, not a city controlled by a jewish state. This is actully fairly close to the orginal plan that was drawn up until the Zionists decided they had to have a Jewish state and siezed much of the land they now control and expelled hundreds of thousands of Palestinians for their ancestrol lands and forced them to live in refugee camps where many of the still live. If you want my honest opinion of Isreal, for a country who wears the Holocaust on their sleaves they sure are close to creating another one in Palestine. But i always forget its only genocide if the victims are white.

*I am not anti-semetic, please do not confuse my ill feelings tword Isreal as a hated of all jews, I have jewish friends, many of whom share my opinions of Isreal*

Ohhh... you are braver than I, sir.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 02 2006,2:14)]Ohhh... you are braver than I, sir.
Why because I posted my honest opinion of what I believe to be a country that uses terror tactics against its neighbors, violently expelled the natives of the land they occupy, and use exessive amounts of force against civilians. (Gee no wonder the United States likes Isreal so much, they are like a mini-version of US)

Auctually, I meant mentioning wearing the halocaust on their sleave while they are on their way to creating another one.

I agree with you about Isreal. I love Isrealis, but not their government.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] He said nothing about soldiers, America's military, or any vaguely patriotic topic. Kerry is postulating on those with little education, not those in the military; his statement doesn't proclude the existence of educated soldiers. It doesn't even assert that any of the military is poorly educated. If you're buying into the republican propaganda that says Kerry is somehow dissing soldiers, then you're either very gullible or lacking in basic English comprehension skills.

I do not agree with this. Yes he may be postulateing, but the only people he could have been talking about was the military. No offence, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that the only people who are going to get stuck over there would be the military. Now the average uneducated person would not even think about going over to Irac in the first place. The only people going to Irac are people who are native and going back and our military. Now I know that not everyone in the military has low education, BUT there are alot of them in there. We have a nusre that works with us on the weekends and is an officer in the military who is the most dumbest box of rocks we have up here. So just because you have a highschool education doesn't really mean much. That doesn't mean I am going to go around calling every military person idiots. A 5 year old could have put the two and two together that Kerry was talking about the troops because they would be the only people going over there from the states to get stuck! If a civilian goes over there they wouldn't be stuck unless they were kidnapped. They teach you to read between the lines and figure out what tha aurthor is saying in English 102. Remember symbolism and finding the hidden meaning in Shakespear's and others works?

Granted this may be a distraction, but Kerry is a highlevel Dem and if the members of his on party do not chastise him for it they are going to look like they agree with him. Guilt by association.

Now to the Isreali issue. I think we give them too much money. I do believe they have the right to defend themselves though. And if going in with bombs to kill those against them they so be it. There are plenty of ways for the "innocent" civilians to get out of the way of this stuff. They could stop harboring these folks. They could stop allowing them to setup shop in the appartment buildings. Now they may not be able to stop them dirrectly, but they could report the strongholds instead of not saying anything. I am sorry if crazed suicide loons are strapping on bombs and blowing up resurants and civilian areas of mine I am going to do what it takes to eleviate my problem. So you can blame the civilian deaths on those terrorist that hide their weapons and leadership in civilian buildings.

Back