Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The upcoming election

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha Mokele you are my hero
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... I may hate people like them but I wouldn't compare them to the taliban.. they aren't that radical...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Well... I may hate people like them but I wouldn't compare them to the taliban.. they aren't that radical...
    Seriously! Time for Mokele to simmer down. Go block a river & cool off, Mr. Mbembe. Kidding asside, that is a rather radical comparisson. They're not, after all, out trying to KILL you. Some might argue they're even doing you a FAVOR in preventing you from getting married, lol. I say let you suffer along with the rest of us!

JLAP, this may sound sactimoneous (wow! Check out THAT verbiage), but don't HATE them. Hate their beleifs, fine, but not them. They, like any people, are deeper than any one beleif may lead you to beleive.

I don't hate anyone for having a differing oppinion from me. If they try to impose their oppinion on me or others in a way I object to, I will surely stand against it. Doesn't mean I have to hate them. Hate only breeds more hate (Gosh, I really DO sound sanctimoneous).
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Kidding asside, that is a rather radical comparisson. They're not, after all, out trying to KILL you.
    Yet. I wouldn't put it past them, in all seriousness. Human nature, especially that of fanatics, is depressingly predictable and predictably depressing.

Also, is it really such a bad comparison? The only difference is the level of success achieved in their goals, which are identical: the imposition of their religion's code on *everyone*, without consent or consideration.

I use that likeness deliberately to shock, with the hopes that it will bring the realization that the two groups are almost identical in motivations, goals, and even language.

Before you dismiss this, google "Dominionists" or "Dominionism". People openly advocating turning the US into a theocracy, with mandatory adherence to christian law and even death for those who oppose or break those laws are real. And they are *not* some group of isolated loonies in the mountains somewhere: they have *millions* of dollars at their disposal, a strong support base in the extant Christian Right, and have the ear of politicians at all levels of government.

I'm not claiming some doomsday scenario; Stupid as it may be to place my faith in a species that has proven totally unworthy of such, I do believe that their goals would never be allowed to be implemented. But the fact is that these people are closer to reality than you thought or feared remains, and that the Christian Right has *explicit*, *open* and deep ties to openly Dominionist groups.

But most of all, I am sick of the hypocracy of politicians who claim that we've "brought freedom to those under an oppresive religious regime", but then turn around and legislate their religion's morals as law, unable to see that they are doing precisely what has lead to Islamic states in the Middle East.

Yes, my analogy is shocking, and it's meant to be. But I believe it does hold water, and the likeness is accurate enough that the comparison can be made in a meaningful fashion.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.. some of them have killed a few of us but that's a very very very small minority. The rest just beat us lol

JOKE PEOPLE!

Schloaty, no, I don't really hate them hate them. I don't like them, that's certain. I feel sorry for them because they are so ignorant.

Woo i'm glad this thread is fizzling out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually keep out of these topics but, more power to you Mokele and JLAP!
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, this is interesting... Outsider is the one guy who says he compassion for us all. His views are based on what he believes is best for people and society. Whether that should be translated into legislature is his own choice as well as yours; every voice is heard equally at the polls. It has always been those on moral high ground that keep society from degrading into anarchy. That's one of history's simple secrets.

That brings us back to natural law. The nature of anything in existence comes with rules of existence. If anything breaks the rules of its own existence, it ceases to exist at the same level. This certainly applies to people. We die physically because our bodies stop doing what they're meant to do. We die on another level when we ourselves don't do what we're meant to do. Hate hurts you, anger hurts you, unfaithfulness hurts you, apathy kills you. Whether you're giving or recieving. Love, peace, faithfulness and caring are all recognized as good because they are ways of life.

Here's the Christian perspective. God has never broken the rules of his existence, so he lives forever. The rest of us all screw up our own lives, and kill ourselves. Those of us who follow him do so because he's offering life, and life forever. We do as he says, because he's the ultimate authority on natural law. You can't argue that anything written in the Bible is bad for you. So whether you accept God love or no, his commandments still stand flawless.

cheers,
    Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh peter! A reasonable, unbiased christian! Finally! You'r ok in my book.

The thing with that is, why would a god create something then say it's an abomination? Come on. I didn't choose to be gay. No one does. Do I believe that every word in the bible is god's? No, not really. I beleive that man likes to control man. Some of those sins are just stupid, seriously. Like wearing 2 fibers, for example. i don't comprehend stoning either for stupid stuff like cheating and lying and disobeying your parents. Come on. Is that REALLY god's will? Just because it says he said that, did he really? We have no way of knowing.

I can't comprehend how a loving god would create someone who's gay, then say that that's an abomination. Doesn't make sense. The fact is we did not choose it. That's a fact. Do we choose to have sex? yeah. do we choose to be attracted to the same sex? no. It's not hurting anyone, so I don't see why god would have a problem with it. It's not like humans will die out because of that 6-10% of the population who doesn't reproduce.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast