What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The upcoming election

I should fill people in on a bit of internet terminology

Sarrfiend is what is known as a "troll". While repulsive appearance and rank body odor can be associated with trolls, their defining characteristic is their behavior, in which they appear from nowhere and immediately begin posting in a manner which is calculated to stir up trouble, often by deliberately taking an extreme on an unpopular position, frequently off-topic for the board.

Trolls can be distinguished from real members who simply have an unpopular position in two ways: first, all of a troll's posts will be arguementative, while real members will have posts over a broad spectrum and secondly, the troll will often seek out flame-heavy but off-topic threads. A troll can be distinguished from a lurker by having a join date shortly before they begin "trolling" for responses.

Sarrfiend has just joined, has contibuted nothing in terms of discussion of the forum's main topic, and his only posts are overly-arguementative and part of a flame-heavy off-topic post. As such, he fits the classic profile of a troll.

Trolls must be dealt with one of two ways. On the boards I mod, they're banned instantly. Alternatively, they can be ignored (though this can backfire by causing the troll to resort to ever-more outrageous behavior in an effort to attract attention). Most importantly, they must not be responded to, known as "feeding the troll(s)". Responses will embolden the troll, and lead them to derail more threads.

So basically, ignore it, and it'll go away.

Mokele

The conspiracy has been revealed! That's right I must be a troll because I have a low post count and because I'm not in your circle of posters.

WRONG. True I have a low post count but I have been reading these forums for the last few months. I never bothered to post because I never felt compelled to. After reading this thread, and reading this leftest propaganda I decided to pick up my sword and swing! Your entitled to your views and stances as well as I am. Just because there's more people here drooling liberalism doesn't mean that it is the only means.

So if you want to attack my thought process and stances please do so. If you want to attack my post count, and my familiarity then why even bother make yourself look bad? Ironic how we're talking about democracy, freedoms and equalities when this Dinosaur here is suggesting I be banned because I'm throwing a wrench in his propaganda. Maybe that's why you're not the moderator here sir.

That's like saying a member of the KKK shouldn't be banned because he's just "throwing a wrench in our propaganda" at this forum.

This is a privately owned forum.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 03 2006,12:15)]That's like saying a member of the KKK shouldn't be banned because he's just "throwing a wrench in our propaganda" at this forum.

This is a privately owned forum.
Now I'm equated to a member of the KKK? I take serious offense to that! I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you botched your joke like your friend Mr. Kerry. LOL!

I know this is a privately owned forum and I read and agreed to the terms of use. I have done nothing to break the rules and have every right to post my stances in this thread. Get used to it.

Yes, ignore the troll. Mokele has it right.

Despite what trolls generally claim, differing opinions are always welcome. Lauderdale and Wolf, among others, have very different opinions than myself, but they are darn fine people who contribute heavily to the community, and who make thoughtful arguments for their positions.

Trolls don't belong in tight communities like this, so please ignore the trolls.

Capslock

I did make a post, but i'll ignore you instead.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 03 2006,1:26)]I did make a post, but i'll ignore you instead.
Oh noes.... I'm being ignored by a callow minor who can't even vote!
biggrin.gif

Ya know Sarrfriend I do agree with many of the things you are saying.  Just not in the way they were presented.  The flaming is not called for sir.  We have the right to question peoples motives that come onto this board who just join in Oct and have a total of 6 post at this time.  Granted you may have been around reading as a guest for a few months, but how are we to know that?  You come in here on a topic that has nothing to do with the board and start bashing respected members of the board.  Then you get offended when someone calls you out on it.  Now I don;t know you and do not know who you are, but lets just put it this way.  You and 4 of your closest friends are eating lunch at a nice restaurant and having a pretty good heated conversation.  Then the guy at the next table decides to chime in and gets all irate calling you this that and the other.  Having totally different view points than you and your friends, and this person proceeds to call all you morons or what not when he entered into you and your friends conversation.  That is the same issue here.  We don't mind the difference of opinion.  Everyone knows I have had my run ins with people over issues, but yet we are all still friends.  You sir are still a newbie to the board.  So of course people are going to take offense when you start making it personal and you don't even have your foot in the door good yet.

Just remember a lot of times people are not mad about the message your trying to convey.  They have a problem with its presentation!  Share your points of view all you want Sarrfriend.  Just keep it civil and refrain from getting personal, or a mod will get involved.  Trust me it has happened on some of my posts here.  They have the right to censor anything they want because it is a private site that they allow you to use.  It is in the rules.  So play nice or I will ask a mod myself to rectify the situation.  Again please share your opinions, but present them in a friendly way.  Leave the personal attacks and one liners out of it! You are starting to offend some personal friends of mine!

OK folks.  There are some statements here that aren't in the spirit of a good discussion.  Name calling adds nothing positive to a viewpoint.  Post counts have nothing to do with anything.

I don't care which side of the fence anyone is on in any particular topic.  The salient point is to keep it all opinion based and not be directing derogatory comments to anybody for having different thoughts on a subject.

You seriously dilute your arguement when you start letting things get personal or you ooze sarcasm in your comments. These topics aren't meant to persuade or convince someone to your way of thinking.  Its an exchange of ideas...a way to see how OTHERS see things.  You may not agree, but leave it at that.

If you can't follow the "be nice" rule, drop out of the discussion.  If you can debate and not "flame", keep on going!

This is a warning to everyone...keep it civil and respectful or the plug will be pulled...which would be too bad because so far this has gone pretty well considering the diversity of viewpoints.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sarrfiend @ Nov. 03 2006,1:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 03 2006,1:26)]I did make a post, but i'll ignore you instead.
Oh noes.... I'm being ignored by a callow minor who can't even vote!
biggrin.gif
Callow minor? Do you know who you are talking to? I may be a minor, but i'm certainly not callow. You don't know me and yet you call me callow? I'm a reputable, contributing member of this group.

Voting has nothing to do with this. I will vote in the next election and the best man (hopefully woman this time) wins.

Heh heh, Pak, I edited at the same time you did. That signature threw me off for a second.
---------------
Edited.

I don't understand why people are reacting so strongly to Sarrfiend's posts.  They're straight from the playbook of the modern Republican Party and we've been hearing the same thing, day after day, for years.  In the real world, people who disagree with them or even just ask questions are attacked and accused of treason and so on.  So it seems pretty tame when it's done in the anonymity of a forum.

If you don't like it, make sure you vote as many of the Republicans out as possible next Tuesday.  Unless you're a callow minor who can't even vote.  And most importantly, don't become like them with that labelling crap.  We need less, not more poison in politics.  And if Sarrfiend is a Sarr fiend, he belongs here as much as any of us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sarrfiend @ Nov. 03 2006,11:56)]I decided to pick up my sword and swing!  
*smirk* *double smirk*  Ok, I just can't resist.  Ladies and germs, here it comes ala Jon (leftie) Stewart style:

"It appears that 'pick up my sword and swing' is the new mantra of the GOP.  It started with Mark Foley (who just did it in front of his computer).  Now Ted Haggard is at bat and swinging it in search of a massage (yeah, right) and meth.  Who's next?  Ahnold?  Bet he's got a big one to swing...can't wait for THAT outing..."

Now, to be more serious, I also agree that Sarrfiend does have a right to post his opinions.  Anyone can oppose them, but as PAK said, be CIVIL.  Oh yeah, being logical might help too...

Hehe, Mr. Bible Beater (no pun intended hehe) is a bisexual tweaker! I love it! I'm laughing by butt off over here.

Welcome to the sinfull underbelly of America, Ted! If the Religious right keep their current pattern of behavior up, Americans will wise up and see that most of them are full of it. All Democrats have to say to win the vote is "Hey, we aren't Republicans...."

Excuse me, while I retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence....

You know what I think we should have during election times? A full month to vote, ending November seventh, with a special incentive: once you vote, a signal goes to the cable company and they block all the campaign ads going to your TV.

Seriously, what could possibly drive voter turnout higher than "If you vote, you won't have to listen to this crap anymore"?

Maybe I'm just cranky from seeing endless back-to-back campaign ads that generally follow this pattern:
"Hi, I'm Challenger, and I'd like to inform you that Incumbent eats babies."
"Hi, I'm Incumbent. Have you even noticed that Challenger never appears during the day, and has a strong aversion to garlic?"

Mokele

Lmao, i've noticed that some ads from republicans just make me want to vote for the democrat challenger!

"Did you know so and so voted against the patriot act, let drug dealers out of jail and voting AGAINST the ban on gay marriage and medical procedure?"

Sounds like my kind of guy...

Today's the day. If you like the direction the nation's heading (to me, it seems we're spiraling downwards with a loud sound of running water), you know who to re-elect. If you don't like it, you know who to vote out. Either way; vote. Unless you're a callow minor too young to vote.

LMAO I VOTED!!!!! Clint you would be so proud of me! I voted libertarian for Governor Latinate Governor, and secretary of state. LMAO

Good! Too bad libertarians almost never win hehe.

I voted!
biggrin.gif
Got my lil' sticker and everything. I was surprised to see they had switched to computer voting booths. I didn't think they were using those in my area. I'm not too keen on those things. I like the old fashioned booths with the big red lever that went "KACHUNK!" when you moved it to shut the curtain and the little red levers to select your candidates.

There is still time to vote if you haven't yet.

Does this mean I am not a callow minor??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 05 2006,1:18)]Lmao, i've noticed that some ads from republicans just make me want to vote for the democrat challenger!

"Did you know so and so voted against the patriot act, let drug dealers out of jail and voting AGAINST the ban on gay marriage and medical procedure?"

Sounds like my kind of guy...
There's an ad on here in western Washington that's all like, "So-and-so voted against English as our national language; I say yes." And they say it with such conviction, as if adopting a national language is the most pressing issue they could think of. It's really pretty funny. I'm actually beginning to get a kick out of campaign ads.
~Joe

Back