Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Round and Square Pots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey jim...have you ever used those rectangular aluminum pie or cake pans?? would they be ok to use for somthing like Utrics??
    I use all kinds of things for my pots... i use hard plastic 9oz alcohol tumblers for many of my plants... ive got a D. adelae, P. primuliflora, some sphagnum moss, and...nothing. all in them! i also use one of those styrofoam bowls with U. sandersonii in it.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The small plastic pots I have been most impressed with and satisfied by are manufactured by Kord. They have stayed supple for many years (over 10) and have lasted already more than twice as long as the best other-brand, other-type-of-plastic small planters I have ever used.

Kord pots are available from various sources:
      [*]Peaceful Valley Farm Supply[*]Hoosier Orchids[*]ITML Horticultural Products[/list]
      All that said, although I use Kord pots for vegetable and flower seedlings and other plants, for carnivorous plants I usually use cheap styrofoam beverage cups, the large 16 ounce ones, with holes punched in the bottoms.

Small pots can overheat quickly in the sun, so I use these insulating styrofoam "planters" in an effort to make the roots more comfortable and protected from temperature extremes. I'm very happy with the results.

Steve / xscd
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Oct. 26 2006,2:25)]I've spent a ton of time searching the web for TALL square plastic pots (that aren't super wide, somewhere around 3-4 inches would be desirable). I would like to grow Cephs and pygmy drosera, and I've heard that tall pots are best...and the 3-4 inches in height doesn't seem that tall to me.

Any ideas? If I can't find them, I'll just buy from the links provided here
    The pots you are describing are known to me as "rose pots". I've found them available, retail, from:[*]Charley's Greenhouse Supply

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Joseph Clemens @ Oct. 25 2006,10:16)]For me its only the square or rectangular pots that I use -- round pots are just too wastful of space, which is always at a premium for me.
    While I agree with the space-saving nature of the square pots, round pots are more receptive to 'humidity domes' (aka: clear plastic cups). They come in very handy as temporary hospital areas for new petiolaris complex strikes and other plants in need of a temporary higher-humidity environment.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, but not every one grows just Drosera... I know I like to grow Utrics in those pots compared to Drosera... then agian IM more prone to Utrics and Neps than other CP's. I really like the Deep pot I had been looking for those for a little bit now acutaly.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 26 2006,8:38)]hey jim...have you ever used those rectangular aluminum pie or cake pans?? would they be ok to use for somthing like Utrics??
    I use all kinds of things for my pots... i use hard plastic 9oz alcohol tumblers for many of my plants... ive got a D. adelae, P. primuliflora, some sphagnum moss, and...nothing. all in them! i also use one of those styrofoam bowls with U. sandersonii in it.
    Alex
    I've never used metal for CP's. Occasionally, I have used styrofoam containers, but for the most part I use only plastic. I have seem people use undrained containers for utrics & pings, but either plastic, glass, or ceramic.

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up ordering from Hoosier Orchid Company. They had the 'off' sizes that I was looking for (2.25" and 2.5").

Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 26 2006,8:19)]LOL! We're supposed to use pots? I've been using plastic drinking cups, yogurt cups, throwaway Home Depot display racks, and my wife's Gladware (shhhhh...), pipette containers....
    Lol Jim! I try to use only pots because what few containers we come across, such as those Glad containers that deli meat comes in, my mother saves. We don't eat yogurt, so no yogurt cuts for me . I do occasionally use some of my mother's Gladware though. Shhhh! The square pots will help me use some wasted space that I'm getting right now with round pots.

I've never used metal for CP's either. It just seems like a bad idea to me. Depending on the metal, it could rust and cause some problems.
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow tropical cactus but they have very similar drainage and root aeration needs and I have found these pots to be about the best for small pots, unfortunately I have not found them bigger. pots

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12