User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Other Archaeologists Out there?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Iron horse archeologist huh? If you're ever in Colorado check out some of the old towns. A lot of them depended on the iron horse back in the day and many have small exhibits and museums set up.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Oct. 31 2006,4:05)]My mom's a cultural Anthropologist.....

-Ben
    What does she do work on western or non-western cultures.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Oct. 31 2006,6:59)]I am a ferroequinearchaeologist:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottych..._alltours.html

Scot
    I was not aware of that form of archaeology, though I tend to bias myself toward preindustrialized times and areas.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking to become a professional archaeologist? A few friends of mine took that path and it's a difficult one.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Nov. 03 2006,3:44)]Are you looking to become a professional archaeologist? A few friends of mine took that path and it's a difficult one.
    In a sort I guess you could say, i will most likely embark on getting my PhD hopefully in the next few years, and then once I have that I will probably end up trying to be a professor which would still give me time to do my digs and my research during the summers most likely. I looked into being a professional archaeologist but my biggest problem with that is I do not have a huge interest in North American archaeology mainly due to the NAGPRA issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the three archaeologists I knew in grad school went into academia. One (who died a few years ago) ended up with a consulting company doing archaeology of sites being developed, another ended up ended up as executive director of a historic site, and the third works for the military to recover the remains of people lost in historic crashes and so on. If he's still doing it, he probably does more Southeast Asian & Pacific Rim field work in a year than most professors do in a lifetime. The first and second had to compromise with their also uniquely educated wives to find a place where both could pursue their interests. I fell out of touch with them, but think they're fairly happy with their decisions to go into archaeology, even though all faced some difficult times & compromises along the way. I hope it works out for you.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12