What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Other Archaeologists Out there?

• Thread starter ktulu
  • Start date
I was just wondering if anyone out there shared my other love, which is Archaeology. If so what area's do you specialize in or have a great interest in. I personally want to specialize in South East Asian or pacific Island Archaeology.

This is just a curious question.

Ktulu

Does digging 4 and 5 foot deep holes when I was a kid count?

My wife enjoys history and when she was younger, wanted to go out on a dig. She thinks it would be fun.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Oct. 31 2006,2:19)]Does digging 4 and 5 foot deep holes when I was a kid count?

My wife enjoys history and when she was younger, wanted to go out on a dig. She thinks it would be fun.
confused.gif
As long as it was in 10cm levels, well documented and you had good clean bulk walls LOL.

Actully digs are a lot of fun if you enjoy archaeology. Though may i recomend not digging when its over 45C in the shade, thats no longer fun and is just a form of archaeological torture.

Escpecialy when you arent finding any thing?

I think its an interesting profession I like learning about it but its nothing I would ever get into, im more creative... cant stand looking for something and not finding it.

Not finding anything can be fustrating, but then after a few days and too many holes to count you find that perfect intact projectile point or deep relief bowl fragment and it makes it all worth it and you dont want to stop digging.

My mom's a cultural Anthropologist.....

-Ben

I've found lots of arrowheads and pot shards but that's as far as it goes.

An Iron horse archeologist huh? If you're ever in Colorado check out some of the old towns. A lot of them depended on the iron horse back in the day and many have small exhibits and museums set up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Oct. 31 2006,4:05)]My mom's a cultural Anthropologist.....

-Ben
What does she do work on western or non-western cultures.

Are you looking to become a professional archaeologist? A few friends of mine took that path and it's a difficult one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Nov. 03 2006,3:44)]Are you looking to become a professional archaeologist? A few friends of mine took that path and it's a difficult one.
In a sort I guess you could say, i will most likely embark on getting my PhD hopefully in the next few years, and then once I have that I will probably end up trying to be a professor which would still give me time to do my digs and my research during the summers most likely. I looked into being a professional archaeologist but my biggest problem with that is I do not have a huge interest in North American archaeology mainly due to the NAGPRA issues.

None of the three archaeologists I knew in grad school went into academia.  One (who died a few years ago) ended up with a consulting company doing archaeology of sites being developed, another ended up ended up as executive director of a historic site, and the third works for the military to recover the remains of people lost in historic crashes and so on.  If he's still doing it, he probably does more Southeast Asian & Pacific Rim field work in a year than most professors do in a lifetime.  The first and second had to compromise with their also uniquely educated wives to find a place where both could pursue their interests.  I fell out of touch with them, but think they're fairly happy with their decisions to go into archaeology, even though all faced some difficult times & compromises along the way. I hope it works out for you.

Back