What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving a resume as a .pdf document

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
It was requested of me to send a resume as a .pdf document and of all the options provided by my computer, .pdf was not one of them. Why not? Am I noy recognizing it or is my pc not capable of it? Is there something I need to download first?

PDF is an Adobe file name................notsure if there is a free place to do it but if yah email me the file i might be able to convert it and email it back to you

You need the pricey Adobe Acrobat, not the free reader, to create a .pdf file. Or you can buy a cheap .pdf creator on eBay - <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/PDF-Creator-Software-CD-Write-Adobe-PDF-Docs-Easy_W0QQitemZ290047956266QQihZ019QQcategoryZ
80289QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/PDF-Cre....iewItem</a>. That's what I did and it works great. I can definitely convert the resume for you. Let me know.

I'm CERTAIN, there's something free out there for you to use. I'd very very surprised if there wasn't. I'll take a peek around and see what I come up with and add it in here.

Edit-

Whaddaya know? There sure is. Just google 'pdf converter' of 'convert to pdf' or anything along those lines. There's sites where you can download a program that'll convert 'em or where you upload your file, it gets converted and sent to you by email.

Never underestimate the power of FREE*.

*Note: Nothing in life is free.
tounge.gif

Just as an aside, it's a little silly that someone/something is requiring a proprietary file format like that. At least with Open Office you can save to every single windows file format. Maybe there's an option to save as .pdf that I haven't found yet. Anyhoo, google will do you right.

The free ones I looked at didn't handle the WordPerfect and CorelDraw formats I use. So I paid ~$6 for a converter that converts any printable format. That was $6 well spent.

i got it converted for him after a few bugs. ive never looked for a free version cause the newspaper uses Adobe products and generally is up to date(ive also got the latest version of Photoshop
tounge.gif
)

When I was in my last job search this past summer I ran into the same problem. Adobe does have a limited trial free basis for converting documents into *.pdf; however, you only get 5 conversions with each registered email which is fairly annoying. I registered all my emails, and all of my wife's emails before I finally landed a job...

Anyway, it is simple to use - you just upload your document (whatever it is) and then it either emails it to you or you can download it from your profile.

In this day and age of free emails galore it would not be hard to set up some freebees and utilize that until the end of time if you can ethically justify it, of course.

It sounds like you have already gotten this issue resolved but for anyone else out there who needs *pdf conversions.

Good luck with the job!

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Nov. 08 2006,1:40)]I'm CERTAIN, there's something free out there for you to use.  I'd very very surprised if there wasn't.  I'll take a peek around and see what I come up with and add it in here.

Edit-

Whaddaya know?  There sure is.  Just google 'pdf converter' of 'convert to pdf' or anything along those lines.  There's sites where you can download a program that'll convert 'em or where you upload your file, it gets converted and sent to you by email.

Never underestimate the power of FREE*.

*Note: Nothing in life is free.  
tounge.gif

Just as an aside, it's a little silly that someone/something is requiring a proprietary file format like that.  At least with Open Office you can save to every single windows file format.  Maybe there's an option to save as .pdf that I haven't found yet.  Anyhoo, google will do you right.
Turns out that the free version was called, "Darla". Thanks to Sheridan & Darla!

J.T.: I did do a Google, but didn't think to use converter in the search and of course got bogged down at sites that didn't help me.

Back