Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sphagnum

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol...its funny...I love sphagnum.....here is a latest pic of some spag growing with my B 52......I hope to have a green carpet sometime soon....I got this from rick keehns at keehnscarnivores....he says its probably new zealand sphagnum.

I don't know how to get some of this live stuff anywhere....its soo hard to find live green sphagnum ..especially to buy it in canada. Consider the irony though, canada is one of the biggest producers of peat moss....lol! 100% canadian sphagnum peat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My next project is to put a layer down on my tank. That should keep the humidity up too so I don't have to keep using a humidifer then huh?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I started putting LFS in the bottom of my tanks was to increase humidity. I poured about 1/2 inch of water in the tank and let the moss wick the water up and provide humidity. My tanks were semi-sealed. It worked well AND I ended up with a thick green carpet on the bottom which sometimes ended up with little round-n-sticky-ums growing the moss below from stray seeds.

(I was looking for a "cool" smiley but sometimes a plain ol' smile one will have to do). hehe
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Nov. 09 2006,3:01)]My next project is to put a layer down on my tank. That should keep the humidity up too so I don't have to keep using a humidifer then huh?
    somthing like this

thats an older pic...there is more in there now... i can send you some for a trade if you like! : i can send you enough that you could have a nive sized mat within a few weeks-months. PM me if you are interested!
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do u grow sphagnum like that?? OMG...thats like a gold mine there. darn!!!

ohh....can u tell me how long does it take to grow from small patch i.e., an inch probably to something like that??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had just a small hand full and put it in my purp's pot, and by the end of 2 months or so, it had doubled in size, maybe more.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to have two different types of Sphagnum moss, one with big long tentacles/growing things, and the other with really short, thin, and compact growing things. I however like the second one the best!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the second one is actually a sphagnum companion moss. Its not sphagnum. I have places where its like a inch size carpet in my terrarium as well. Yeah..looks ok..but its not sphagnum. Sphagnum can suck up 40 times its volume in water.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast