Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I ordered some LFS. Which came dead. I think I read somewhere about just laying it out in a tray of water and it'll grow/come back to life? Is that true? How much water, if so?

Also, 150 grams turns out to be a whole lot more than I expected and I know I'm not even gonna put a dent in this bag - what can I do with the rest of it, if anything?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably bought dried LFS which is usually what people get unless you ordered live somewhere. I always had my dried LFS regenerate when I used it inside my tanks. I put the dried in the bottom of the tank, wet it and after a few weeks/months, it would start growing. My tanks are under fluorescent lighting. So keept it wet, give it light and it should start growing again.

But you don't have to have live moss for your plants unless you just like the look of it. They are fine in dried moss.

As for excess...don't worry. You'll probably end up needing it as your plant collection grows.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dumb question: was it intended to be the live LFS? Stores like Lowes and Home Depot normally sell it in small bags for ~$3-4. LFS is like gold. It has the capacity to hold water and yet allow for drainage and root development. The living LFS has antisceptic qualities.

Our moderator, Plantakiss, has suggested to add water, seal, and place in the light. Eventually, the spores within become alive. LFS is great for starting pots for new CP's and is the best when shipping plants and cuttings to other forum folks. And surely you will want to expand to sundews and butterworts and bladderworts and... A little bit goes a long way.

The dried material that I have topdressed for pots has become alive, after several months. I also keep a couple plastic trays of it, on top of sphagnum peat, at a window sill. I sometimes use that as a triage, for incomimg plants. I also use it to sprout VFT & Cephalotus leaves.

This is great stuff... better than duct tape!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suzanne: I think we were replying simultaneously. I am using a library computer and this thing is "slower than mollasses in January"! I'm still waiting for Photobucket to boot up!

Anyways, here's an example of what the dried LFS did:

This container of sundews:

became this in time:

Here's a tray of it:

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's funny. We must have posted at the same time. But I beat ya!

I used to have a beautiful carpet of live moss in the bottom of my tank. Looked really pretty. Until I let it get too dry.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Nov. 08 2006,4:55)]That's funny. We must have posted at the same time. But I beat ya!

I used to have a beautiful carpet of live moss in the bottom of my tank. Looked really pretty. Until I let it get too dry.
    LOL! gotta love the updated emoticons! These are much better than the Amish ducks! Yeah, those library computers are always taking forever to boot up. They lock up and the Refresh tab has become my new friend.

See... I was paying homage to ya and I didn't even know you were posting!

From the other Photobucket account.... more live sphag:

D. 'Ivan's Paddle'

It's upposed to be D. rotundifolia, but the sphag has engulfed it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Nov. 08 2006,3:38)]This is great stuff... better than duct tape!
    That's blasphemy!

I, too, grow trays full of this stuff to put in my Nep pots. A plastic tray lined with dry LFS and placed in 100% humidity (with good light, of course) will eventually yield a carpet of the live stuff a couple of inches thick.

And, while not necessarily better than duct tape (what keeps my terrarium together), it really is like gold.
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm like 99.9% positive that what I bought said, "Live New Zealand Sphagnum Moss." But it arrived tan-colored, packed into a small bale, and the website I bought it from revamped in the few days since I bought it, and now the exact same thing says it's dried. Grr.

I know it doesn't need to be alive. But. So pretty! I'll get to pulling a Frankenstein on my LFS, then.

Thanks guys

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast