Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Poached plants on ebay? Look...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is sad to think of these terrific plants dying in the wrong hands, and thus slightly tempting to try to bid... But I hope these plants carry raging pestilence and virulent plague into the greenhouse of whoever buys them. May you and your plants choke on a vicious tropical Thai fever. I don't know, wild collecting plants just doesn''t seem good any way you look at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Regarding hybrids of plantsDETERMINES that: a) hybrids are subject to the provisions of the Convention even though not specifically included in the Appendi-ces If one or both of their parents are of taxa included in the appendices unless taxa included in Appendices II or III are specifically annotated to exclude certain hybrids from CITES controls. b) regarding artificially propagated hybrids: i) plant species or other taxa listed in Appendix I shall be annotated (in accordance with Article XV) if the provisions relevant to the most restrictive appendix should apply; ii) if a plant species or other taxon listed in Appendix I is annotated, an export permit or re-export certifi-cate shall be required for trade in specimens of all artificially propagated hybrids derived from it; but iii) artificially propagated hybrids derived from one or more unannotated Appendix-I species or other taxa shall be regarded as being included in Appendix II and entitled therefore to all exemptions applicable to artificially propagated specimens of species listed in Appendix II.
    that makes no logic

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked the seller "How will this plant be shipped to protect the pitchers and the root structure? Do you have the overseas paperwork so there is not any trouble with international shipments?"

and s/he responded:
    Quote[/b] ]yes all i can send worldwild
    xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] if someone knowledgeable doesn't buy them they will most likely die!
    yeah...it's unfortunate for these guys. but...if somebody buys the plant, it'll only encourage him to do it AGAIN. So...for the love of all nepenthes...don't buy it!
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. globosa isn't CITES protected, which kinda sucks for this purpose.

Anyway, this happened before, and I'm pretty sure the folks at the CPUK forum got the listing taken off. Might wanna ask Aidan, I think it was him that did it...or he will at least know the details of it.

@herenorthere:
    I have grown this species for a while. That is definitely a "viking" (a very nice one too...grade A/B+)

@cool85:
    Nepenthes in Thailand are not weeds. There are some areas where there are large populations, but these populations are being burned/destroyed by the locals daily. You might want to contact Onny at CPUK forum if you want more info on that. N. globosa in particular is rare. It is restricted to IIRC only 1 island in Thailand, that very few people know the location of. I know there is a family that used to poach them and sell them to survive, but I think because of the efforts of Nong (at NeoFarm), they have learned to respect them and propagate them correctly

PS: Thailand is a member of CITES
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same seller is selling 5 more now!

Is there anything that can be done?
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMFG

If worst comes to worst Buy them send them back to a respected person in Thailand, or w/e it is from.

But even then it is risked being poached again.

CITES PROTECT THIS PLANT in the next week PLEASE!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CITES wont do anything. Maybe someone can contact Nong at NeoFarm and see what he says. Apparently he knows the location of these plants and may be able to do something about the poachers
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast