What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poached plants on ebay? Look...

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    wild

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
It says 5 wild ones for sale.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Carnivorous-plants-Nepenthes-Viking_W0QQitemZ300048197982QQihZ020QQcategoryZ75643QQssPageN
ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Carnivo....iewItem</a>

no guesswork involved there.

not the first time this has been done b4, ive seen these posted.

Is there a way to report this to ebay?

There is a free online webservice for Joe Dever's Lone Wolf books (they are like choose your own adventure) which is completely licensed and legal and I saw on ebay someone was selling a downloadable version which was exactly the same. I reported it to the online service and they promptly got the listing removed. However, I doubt that we can contact mother nature and have her complain....

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xvart @ Nov. 14 2006,5:47)]I doubt that we can contact mother nature and have her complain....
I like that lol...

but yea I know members on E-bay can conctact, its been done b4.

Thailand might not have any laws regarding selling/poaching wild plants,so what can you do? Nepenthes in Thailand might just be a weed there,who knows.

Jerry

anybody ballsy and knowledgeable enough to contact the seller? whoever this is, they ship to the US

I did ask them a question through the ebay feature asking how long he had the plant and where he got it from. No answer as of yet. I'll keep everyone posted.

xvart.

edit: just got this response from the seller:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Viking where is Bangkok Thailand.i can send to worldwide.
Thanks
punt

Is this a CITES violation? If so, then eBay will take it down promptly if you let them know. There's no indication that the proper import/export papers have been obtained - that might be enough by itself. Also, if you look at the seller's rating, the bulk of his feedback seems to have come from the same two (suspiciously similar) usernames.
~Joe

The seller also has only 7 feedbacks too. I would love to order even though they are from the wild. I would be afraid customs would seize the plants. Arge if someone knowledgeable doesn't buy them they will most likely die!

Is a hybrid even covered by CITES? A live plant is certainly subject to import restrictions, but if it really is a wild collected N x Viking (how would he know the ID?) I don't see how it would fall under CITES. Do any of you recognize it as being something else?

Viking has been declared a true-breeding species under the name N. globosa, if I remember correctly. Even if it wasn't thought of as a species, I think the fact that it's a rare naturally occuring hybrid would be enough - but that's just an opinion.
~Joe

interspecies hybrids are not coverd by CITES

Finch are you sure about that? Or is that just for nepenthes? Because under CITES with orchids hybrids of certain species of paphs and other species are restricted IIRC. I could be mistaken, but I think I remember reading that someplace. Now that is not to say it what I rewad was not wrong.

This person has sold before on ebay. He now has a new username as the people who bought from him before gave him negative feedback as the customer service he gave was as bad as his ethics. He does not use paperwork for shipping out his poached plants and they usually get seized by customs.

Ebay will not remove him or his listings. If you are lucky enough to get a reply from them, they will send you a generic email saying they do not remove listings unless they are clearly a breach of their terms and conditions. They are not interested in losing money by removing listings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alexis @ Nov. 15 2006,12:53)]If you are lucky enough to get a reply from them, they will send you a generic email saying they do not remove listings unless they are clearly a breach of their terms and conditions.
I did get a generic email from this seller (as posted on page 1) which did not address either of my questions (where did you get it? and how long have you had it?). Of course my questions were not very specific themselves, but the response seems to be playing on a language barrier.

xvart.

It is sad to think of these terrific plants dying in the wrong hands, and thus slightly tempting to try to bid... But I hope these plants carry raging pestilence and virulent plague into the greenhouse of whoever buys them. May you and your plants choke on a vicious tropical Thai fever. I don't know, wild collecting plants just doesn''t seem good any way you look at it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Regarding hybrids of plantsDETERMINES that: a) hybrids are subject to the provisions of the Convention even though not specifically included in the Appendi-ces If one or both of their parents are of taxa included in the appendices unless taxa included in Appendices II or III are specifically annotated to exclude certain hybrids from CITES controls. b) regarding artificially propagated hybrids: i) plant species or other taxa listed in Appendix I shall be annotated (in accordance with Article XV) if the provisions relevant to the most restrictive appendix should apply; ii) if a plant species or other taxon listed in Appendix I is annotated, an export permit or re-export certifi-cate shall be required for trade in specimens of all artificially propagated hybrids derived from it; but iii) artificially propagated hybrids derived from one or more unannotated Appendix-I species or other taxa shall be regarded as being included in Appendix II and entitled therefore to all exemptions applicable to artificially propagated specimens of species listed in Appendix II.

I asked the seller "How will this plant be shipped to protect the pitchers and the root structure? Do you have the overseas paperwork so there is not any trouble with international shipments?"

and s/he responded:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]yes all i can send worldwild

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] if someone knowledgeable doesn't buy them they will most likely die!

yeah...it's unfortunate for these guys.
sad.gif
but...if somebody buys the plant, it'll only encourage him to do it AGAIN. So...for the love of all nepenthes...don't buy it!

Back