Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is patriotism?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like everyone's opinion.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from the government." - Thomas Paine

I think that about covers it for me. Were you also looking for opinions on whether patriotism, by a given definition, is a good or bad thing?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if Thomas Paine is correct, I have no doubt he is, then the government best watch out and stop asking people to be patriots because we seriously need to be protected from our government alot of times! Even though I am not a liberal I applaud the most liberal city in the nation. Hooray to San Diego for finally doing what the people want!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nowadays, its supposed to be all OMG AMERICA have 24 flags around youre house, and lots and lots of omg bush rules, or w/e president is in office, then yea... Other wise its Nicholas_Bostaph definition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Nov. 16 2006,10:13)]

Nowadays, its supposed to be all OMG AMERICA have 24 flags around youre house, and lots and lots of omg bush rules, or w/e president is in office, then yea... Other wise its Nicholas_Bostaph definition.
    That reminds me of something one of my favorite authors Kurt Vonnegut said "The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." So I guess that would mean that patriotism is making sure Americans are loved everywhere by everyone even if we do drop bombs on their heads. LOL

Truely I think patriotism is keeping true to the values that your country was founded on. If this means protecting your country from the government then thats what needs to be done. A patriot must be willing to speak out against its government and do what must be done to preserve the values that their country stands for. The most dangerous thing you can have in a democracy is blind patriotism (ie everyone loves americans no matter what we do).
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ehh.. I'm really not a big fan of America. America is not the land of the free. The Dutch are the most free people in the world!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, patriotism is just a less adversial word for nationalism. It probably meant something better at one time, but not in my lifetime. The word has been hijacked, like our flag.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was trying to think of a response, and then herenorthere said it perfectly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast