What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Druggie Neighbors

So you feel the same way when someone smokes a cigarette or has a fire going and you smell the smoke? It is no difference. Fireplaces create smoke that you can smell. I have been smelling it alot lately, but I have a fireplace too.

Now I am not going to blow it in your face or intenionaly try to get you to smell it, but it does difuse through the air.

When I smoke I do ourside to my GH and when the exhaust fan is on the smoke gets sucked outside so you still will smell it.

I am not trying to defend their position. Since I would never smoke it outside in a common area like that. I would go outside behind a house or possibly in my garrage if I had one. I use my GH instead. I forgot to mention my back yard has a privacy fence around it, and my friends house with a pourch is facing a highway.

Nepenthes that is fine that you are against it. Are you against alcohol or scripts too? It will get decriminalize because every time thy have a vote they continue to get more and more support to doing the such. It has already been decriminalized in 3 different parts of the country so far. So its coming. The government made it illegal because a congrassman used propiganda about the lazy mexacins who were smoking it. Not because it was being abused. I don't suspect you have ever smoked it either. Whoever told you it was a hallucinogen was full of BS. I have been so stoned as a teen I smoked myself sober and never once saw anything.

Now I am not a cronic smoker. I buy 7 grams on occasion and it lasts me a week or longer. Plus I love how the plants look. So I wil be jumpoing for joy and planting seeds the day it become legal or atleast decriminalized.

There is no reason for it to be made illegal, and I would be happy if the legalized it and put restrictions like no smoking in public places or driving on it. Bugfreak doesn;t need to be pt in the postiion she is being put in, but I also think she is getting too worked up over it too.???
rock.gif

Not everyone who smokes is a looser and not every looser is a smoker. I don;t believe the two can be corilated together.

Bugfreak,
I just wanted to say that I am sorry that this situation landed on you and I hope it gets resolved quickly.
Brian

JB if you're gonna get all defensive, that's fine.

it's not the same as a fireplace, and it's illegal in texas. something about that weed smell- seems it lingers and is more pungent than cigarette smoke too. no, i don't like cigarette smoke either but i'm forced to deal with it at times. i should not have to tolerate marijuana being smooked right outside of my place.

anybody have anything relevant to add?
rock.gif

this is not a war on potheads thread- go smoke a joint and calm down if that's all you've got. just don't bring it in or around my house.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nepenthes that is fine that you are against it. Are you against alcohol or scripts too? It will get decriminalize because every time thy have a vote they continue to get more and more support to doing the such. It has already been decriminalized in 3 different parts of the country so far. So its coming. The government made it illegal because a congrassman used propiganda about the lazy mexacins who were smoking it. Not because it was being abused. I don't suspect you have ever smoked it either. Whoever told you it was a hallucinogen was full of BS. I have been so stoned as a teen I smoked myself sober and never once saw anything.

Just this month, voters in South Dakota, atleast, soundly defeated a legalization mesure.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Whoever told you it was a hallucinogen was full of BS. I have been so stoned as a teen I smoked myself sober and never once saw anything.

The experiences of one person, or 10, however, do not prove that something is unequivocally false

I can understand where bugfreak is coming from - there's a big difference between discreetly rolling a joint outdoors and emptying a cigar onto the sidewalk to roll a blunt. And as a woman with a little kid, I can understand your concern about confronting a big group of bruisers. What I would encourage you to do is discreetly speak with your other neighbors, if you know them well, and try to determine which of the people are your actual neighbors and not just guests. That way, if you see them around, you can possibly find a time when you feel comfortable addressing them. I would encourage you to try to get to know them as neighbors if possible, so you can get a better handle on the situation without escalating things. This will not necessarily be an option, but something that we always teach at the self-defense seminars in my martial arts class is that knowledge is the best precaution.
Josh - while I do share many of your opinions, let's not turn this into a legal debate. Bugfreak here has a legitimate concern and the focus of this thread should be advising her on how to best stay safe. Although I'm not a mod and technically don't have a say in the matter, I'm personally not going to tolerate diversions in this thread, because this is a matter of personal safety. This goes for everyone; if you want some political flame thread, go start one somewhere else. This bickering reflects very poorly on you all - if you have sincere concern you should appreciate the importance of being civil in this matter.
Nep G - I'm not going to debate your personal feelings on the topic, but from the sound of it, you are a little misinformed about the history of the prohibition of marijuana and other illicit drugs. The laws which now make up our drug legislation irrefutably draw their origin from racist propoganda and economic interest, and any serious investigation into the topic will reveal that. Go get some legal books and look up Dupont vs the United States of America, ca. 1937.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i chose not to smoke and i generally don't hang around people who do. it's not the fact that they smoke that make them such big losers... it's the fact that they were doing it OUTSIDE IN A COMMON AREA- you know, a place where kids play and other people get in and out of their garages or take their trash out. i did not go into their home and judge them, they came outside. whether or not one can actually get high from contact with the smoke is irrelevant. me and my child should not have to smell it. hate me or my views all you want- just have some f-ing common courtesy and keep the stuff to yourself if you want to go smoke. like someone said earlier- i'd rather have a bunch of potheads than one crackhead or meth addict as a neighbor. JUST KEEP IT IN YOUR OWN HOME. i don't care if your a white pothead, black pothead, rich pothead, poor pothead- still a no good piece of s*#& for doing it outdoors in that fashion.

Amen!!!

Finch it is not even listed as a hallucinogen. It is listed as a narcotic, and that doesn't even fit it because it doen't fit that catagory either. And that was just south dikota Finch. There were 3 other places. San Diego included that decriminalized it. I cannot pull the article here at work because it is on the norml website. Everytime it comes up for a vote the margins shrink with more people coming in favor of decriminalizing it.

I am tired of people talking bad about something they have never even tried, and do not even know anything about. Yet they seem to be dead set on it being bad.

Now I already said I do not agree with the way they were conducting themselve, and said what I would do. Everyone just seems to focus on my position on MJ.

While I'm definitely not happy with the argumentative tone this thread has taken, I will offer one last suggestion:
Bugfreak, the next time you see your neighbors rolling a blunt outside or the like, go into your bathroom and take the cover off of the tank of your toilet. There will be a lever inside connected to the handle on the outside, and this lever connects to the stopper which keeps the tank from flushing. If you shorten the connection between the lever and the stopper a bit, the toilet will begin to run. Usually this connection is a chain, and the chain can simply be hooked a little more taut on the lever than before to achieve this effect. The result - instant legitimate management call. Running toilets are irritating, and if you call when the maintenance staff is out and you're a fancy talker, you can get a manager to come out and take a look at it, because toilets are easy fixes that all property management types come to learn early in their employment.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Finch it is not even listed as a hallucinogen.  It is listed as a narcotic, and that doesn't even fit it because it doen't fit that catagory either.  And that was just south dikota Finch.  There were 3 other places.  San Diego included that decriminalized it.  I cannot pull the article here at work because it is on the norml website.  Everytime it comes up for a vote the margins shrink with more people coming in favor of decriminalizing it.

You are seeing more to my post that there really is.  But its not important anyway. This isnt about POT, its what do do about some people who are smoking it in a area that is causing problems for others.

Bug,
Im afraid that I, atleast, cannot find a simple answer to this question. But I can tell you what i would do. I would take it up with the persons causing problems in a area where you can speak to them one-on one. If they intimidate you, i would bring a freind along.

But thats what i would do. The smart money is on seedjar's advice

There are few things weirder to me than the "which drug is worse" arguments.

It's like arguing over whether it's worse to get killed by a bear or by a shark.

Option C, just avoiding them both, never seems to come up.

JB_OrchidGuy, you posted a general statement...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am tired of people talking bad about something they have never even tried, and do not even know anything about. Yet they seem to be dead set on it being bad.
So.. what you are implying is that people have to try something in order to be able to pass judgement on it?? What about past recorded results? Do I have to experience being a drunk driver and getting involved in an accedent in order to determine if the choce and result is good or bad?

IMO, that is not a valid statement.

I have various neighbors who smoke pot outside, but they're all fairly discrete.  In a neighborhood of 50 x 100 ft lots, however, it's close to lots of others.  No one seems to have a problem with them but, if someone held a grudge, it would be easy to get a smoker in trouble.  That's why I can't understand people continuing to smoke when they're responsible for kids and so on.  It's too big of a risk. Lots of us have smoked in the past and have moved on.

JB when I smoked IT was a major hallucinagin... unless every time in all 3 states I've done it in They all put some kind of hallucinagin in it....

IT depends on the person who smokes it, different people experience different highs.

But JB He said people who generally smoke it... so you cant say he is saying ALL potheads do, I KNOW I did abuse it...

Now I don't but I used to and regret it... I only do it when I fell confident I wont be going any where or need to be some place.

I'm happy to report that while it was defeated, the margin of votes is thinning each time it's voted on
smile.gif

Joosa, no it's not like a drunk driver. More like saying a movie sucks when you have only seen a commercial
smile.gif

I still say talk to them or send them a friendly letter.

My piece of advice, Bugfreak: if you decide to go over and talk to them, make sure you catch them when they're sober.  It'll be much easier to have a conversation with them and to get your point across.  

Sorry to hear you have loud obnoxious neighbors but it could be worse.  I have a crackhead for a neighbor who, even after 20 something counts against him(inculding several counts of burglary, possession of cocaine, possession of pawn shop receits from stolen goods, etc..), seems to escape any sort of jail time or punishment.  Its a crazy world we live in..

Here in San Francisco, a significant amount of people smoke the herb. It is not prosecuted by our police - with or without a prescription. I love this city because of its tolerant and liberal policies.

However, people take care to not impose on or offend their neighbors. Rolling up a blunt in the driveway of a common building is not acceptable. Once in a while, you can get a whif walking down the street, but rarely is it obvious and "in-your-face". If there is going to be a general legalization in this country (which I support), it will NOT happen because of ignorant and inconsiderate neighbors smoking up right in front of everyone. On the contrary, it will be because people show that they can be good neighbors - and that's what this thread is really about: how we all live with each other in crowded cities. It's about basic consideration for your neighbors and also civil and productive conflict resolution. People should be able to casually speak to each before situations are escalated to authorities. However, with particularly intimidating or "bad news" neighbors (and you can often just tell when they're bad news), it's sometimes better to be safe than worry. Good luck, Bugfreak, and trust your instincts!

Capslock

thanks to all of you with constructive advice.

JB: i used to smoke pot myself, i'm not a total stranger to drugs okay. so don't come at me and other people with some "you can't say anything cause you haven't tried it" bs.

oddly enough, the other neighbor had a BUNCH of people, a hose on wheels (it's called a gas-guzzler or Hummer or something) and some other cars and like 500 children in their garage and the common driveway last night. they weren't even as loud or obnoxious as the pothead neighbors were that one night.

Back