Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Druggie Neighbors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what to do? some new neighbors just moved in about a week ago at these townhomes i'm living in. there is a driveway area where the garage door are. there are 8 garages that go to this driveway (4 per building)

anyway, the first irritant is that one evening, it seemed as though they were using their garage as a party barn- people being loud chasing each other around, loud music, etc. this only happened once though so i blew it off as an isolated incident.

last night, as we were trying to get our baby into the car, it smelled of weed so bad- either they were in their garage smoking (the garages aren't sealed very well) or they were outside smoking. probably the latter. i was afraid of my baby getting a contact high. i said something to my husband while in the garage- surely they could hear me and subtly get the message that it's not okay to get the neighborhood high.

today, as i get home from work, there are about ten of them and their little 13 month old. the baby is running around and the grown-ups are in the driveway cutting open a cigar and dumping it out (partly on the baby's head as he's running) so they can roll a blunt. IN THE FREAKING DRIVEWAY!!! OUTSIDE!! i don't have an auto garage opener so it was pretty awkard having to get out of my car- right where they are doing their drugs. of course, i'm scared to say anything cause there's like 10 of em- each one much larger than me.

contrary to what some ignorant ghetto mother f's think, not everybody does drugs. i don't have a problem with people who smoke weed, as long as they do it privately. what really sucks is i did my best to check out the crime stats for this area and this complex before we moved in. i also drove through at night to observe that it was pretty peaceful. go figure- the trash moves in after we've already been living here.

that poor innocent kid is destined to be a loser and that really sucks.

i'm scared to call the cops or confront them, so i dunno what to do. it looks like they are inside now so that's good cause i really want to go check the mail and walk the dog. i was gonna go out my front door instead of out of the garage.

well, on another note, i'll be looking at home purchasing anyway at the end of this lease (which is a scary endeavor) so at least i'm not obliged to buy this townhome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try reporting them to the owners of the complex. Those people are dragging the property values down. That's pretty good incentive for the owners to enforce some rules. Or at least get the police involved themselves.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with endparenthis. That would be a good way to get some action done without necessarily involving yourself or the authorities.

This reminds me of a story from when I was in grade school and I would always play over at a friends house and we would watch sweet mercedes benz's and bmw's pull up to this house across the culd-e-sac with suitcases handcuffed to their wrists. People never expect this stuff to happen in "normal" middleclass neighborhoods, but it does.

Stay in school kids!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you have two choices - you can be neighborly, and have a candid talk with them, or you can be aggressive, and just tell the management and let them deal with it. (I guess you could also just try to ignore it, which would be a kind of lousy choice #3.) Unless your neighbors have serious social problems, I think if you mention to them that you can smell the weed and that they're drawing a lot of attention, the paranoia should be enough to rein them in a little. In all likelihood, they don't want trouble the same way you don't want loudness and pot smoke. You could also just let your manager know and have them take care of it, but that's a good way to get on the bad side of someone, and it sounds like there's enough strain in this situation already.
    The good news I can tell you is that you don't have much to worry about your baby. It takes a lot more than the scent of pot smoke to absorb even a negligable amount of psychoactives; before getting drug tested for a job, I asked my doctor if I needed to worry about a contact-high and he basically said that for all intents and purposes there is no such thing. I get the impression that contact highs are more of a legal defense than a medical condition. This isn't to say that you should leave your kid to be exposed to smoke whenever - kids are smaller and more susceptible in that respect - but last time I read up on it, there had been no studies that had strongly shown any correlation between diseases/developmental disorders and infant marijuana exposure. (Some studies have even shown, oddly enough, that infants living in the homes of pot dealers, whom are thought to have the highest mean rates of exposure, usually are healthier due to the greater income and healthcare available to those households.) There are so many bad things in our environment nowadays; formula, car exhaust, disinfectant-based cleaning supplies and hydrogenated oils have all been shown to be harmful to babies and young children. I know that drugs are a hotbutton issue, but casual exposure to the smoke of untreated organic matter is rather innocuous compared to all the other different types of chemicals present in far greater amounts in our food, water, air and homes.
    The short of it is that I feel for you - I've had my fair share of bad neighbors and I know how stressful these dilemmas can be. My advice is to try to be nice, try to be civil, but play by the rules and make sure not to take any BS.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a stoner, (even though I lived at home) If some one didn't like me doing it around them I would respect that, stoner's are pretty laid back people allot of the time, And will do almost n e thing not to get in trouble with the police.

So would just talk to them, just ask them to do it in their house and not out in the open. If they don't do that talk to the Person who runs the place.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been my experience living among people who smoke pot as well (and at college, that's a lot of people.) They will probably be super nice about it in person, and if they are responsible, self-aware types, I doubt you'll ever notice it again. They could also just be party kids, in which case they'll probably earnestly try to curtail their actions but fail for the most part. I would be quite surprised if they were uncooperative or standoffish about it.
    At the same time, getting the management involved will usually mean getting the police involved in such a situation, so you have to ask yourself - do you have it out for these people, or do you just want them to keep things to themselves? Myself, I would give my left arm to replace the tweaker next door to me and his four-wheeler (which he insists on working on nearly every morning around 6 AM) with a pothead. In my experience, they're some of the most pleasant neighbors around, if not always the most mindful.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are making you feel uncomfortable, call the police. There were some kids drinking and breaking glass on a playground behind my house (they purposely broke glass in one of those crawl-through tubes, and my 6-year old brother was almost hurt). It didn't start that way. They used to just hang out there. Now they have even stolen my mom's bike (I was home sick at the time and saw it happen). My point is, it could escalate and someone could get hurt. We did call the police, who now stop by a few times a week at night, shining their flashlights into the forest. Now, they are gone, probably hiding somewhere else. Just remember, this is the kind of thing that the police would want to hear about (they told us so when they came over the first time).
    Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have an answer. If you say something to them, maybe they'll be cool about it, but they're much more likely to be jerks. I wouldn't do it. They aren't groovy college kids looking to get high now but expecting move into big paying careers later without any arrests along the way.

If you ask the landlord to do something, the landlord might be a weasel and tell them you complained. If you call the police, who knows what might happen. I guess I'd recommend an anonymous tip to the landlord. If that doesn't work, then an anonymous call to the police when you see them out there, but they haven't seen you. It's too bad you have to deal with this and I hope it works out.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast