What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quite a haul

Finch

Whats it to ya?
The school conservatory has been doing a little cleanup lately, and because I had previously expressed interest in certain plants, one of my teachers contacted me about it. Apparently a little thinning of some specimens was required, and there was extra plant material available. I had come along at the right time. Among them were divisions of several species of ferns, the best in  my opinion from a large specimen of  polypodium aureum (fronds over 3 feet long!). I also obtained some tree philodendron, Artillery plant, and some Cast Iron plant. Many were the result of cuttings taken in horticulture labs and then unwanted. Many of these species may or may not be readily available; all I know was that I had never seen most before and they looked to be attractive plants. They will be moved home on Wednesday. Sadly, with these last plants my growing area at home will have almost reached maximum capacity.

So far my favorite is polypodium aureum. This thing has huge interesting fronds, and can be grown ether on the soil or like bromeliads on branches. Sadly, it is far too big to fit in a reptile or amphibian aquarium, but is should grow fine outside of glass. The only thing is the fronds are so big that the rooted rhizomes are top-heavy and don’t want to stay in the growing media.

Does anyone have any info about any of the plants I have mentioned? Any additional information about any of them would be nice.

Pics coming soon..

pictures now please!
oh.gif

doors are locked, so i will have to wait till tomorrow to get pics

Nice! Just wait 'til you see the flowers on the Aspidistra (sold at my workplace for as much as garbage!); if you're interested in plant-pollinator interactions this is another one for any enthusiast dabbling in that field.

Cheers

Back