What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Allexperts.com

• Thread starter FarmerDave
  • Start date
I just applied for a chance to be an "Expert" on Allexperts.com on CPs and I was wondering if anyone else has tried it before?

How slim of a chance do you think that I have of getting a job?
DO they pay?
If not then it might atleast look good on my college application.

well I got it!
I'm one of them now.

Congrats! What all does the job entail? How much time do you think you will invest in a week or month? That is very exciting - did you figure out if you get paid at all?

Anyways, you should be proud that you were selected. What kind of application process was there and how did they test your "expertise?"

xvart.

They just asked me a couple of questions.
I think that they picked me mainly because there's only one other one, and because they need some more, but I'm still happy.

No I haven't yet figured out the pay =(
And I'm planning to spend as much time as possoble a week for the answers as possible.

I guess I better start reading up on CPs!

its not a job, you wont get paid.
it says very clearly, in multiple places:

"VOLUNTEER TO BE AN EXPERT IN THIS CATEGORY"

Volunteer = not paid.

I took a look around various catagories of allexperts..
looks kind of pointless to me.
no one needs a site like that to ask questions..thats what the already-existing millions of internet forums (just like this one) are for.
im very against redundant places to find information on the internet..all it does is dilute conversation and make it *harder* to find answers..

if you have 100 places to ask a question, 99 of them will be useless, and you will have a much harder time finding that one place that IS actually usefull..
it would be better if the 99 never existed..
IMO this "allexperts" site is in the 99..

oh well..

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Nov. 19 2006,8:07)]I guess I better start reading up on CPs!
Is this a common responce by someone who is about to lecture as an "expert" on a topic?
rock.gif
jestera.gif

I should apply to do it on that thing that Pyro does...
Oo.gif
Maybe he will
sign_help.gif
me..haha Sorry man, I'm mostly messing around.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Nov. 19 2006,11:22)]I took a look around various catagories of allexperts..
looks kind of pointless to me.
no one needs a site like that to ask questions..thats what the already-existing millions of internet forums (just like this one) are for.
im very against redundant places to find information on the internet..all it does is dilute conversation and make it *harder* to find answers..
I disagree; it's not really redundant.  Generally, sites like the one listed aim to provide a complete encyclopedic answer to specific questions by someone recognized as an expert in a subject.  That differs from forums in many ways, including:

* On a forum you often get incomplete answers to questions, especially multipart ones or those asking for extremely specific answers.
* Many forums do not actually have any knowledgeable members (or at least not enough that one will answer your specific post) and it can be tedious trying to sniff out the ones that do.
* It takes a good deal of lurking on a forum to identify which members are truly knowledgeable and to be trusted and which have no idea what they're saying; especially if you have little experience in the subject at hand.
* On a forum you have no objective way to verify a poster's knowledge, expertise, and credentials.

I think sites like that provide a great resource and Farmer Dave's volunteering of his time is admirable.  Congrats!
smile.gif

Yay! I got my first question today!
They asked what they should feed their VFT because there aren't any bugs outside for it, so i laid it all down for them.

good for you
smile.gif

What is this website you speak off?

Topics merged. I've never done it before... And wanted to try it mainly... Plus, it easily fits in this topic.
smile.gif

Back