What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Birds

Finch

Whats it to ya?
, As some of the old-timers may or may not recall, i am the bird person. i used to speak of my birds quite a bit. I do miss them.

But no-ones ever seen them here- untill now. These little guys are what all the fuss is about  
smile.gif

Sadly, since my absence, I have had 100% mortality among all my females due to various causes such as injury, infection, and old age. Fajita, Fiesta, and Enchilada are now literally pushing up yellow coneflowers in a special secluded little no-till plot in my garden dedicated to pets that have passed away. Now I only have a bunch of lonely males. But now I don’t have to separate the birds when I don’t want them to breed.

Birds112006.jpg

Clockwise from the top feet, they are:Burrito, Taco, Nary (the canary), and Tails. The small one with a missing toe is Taco, age unknown, my first bird. He is well over 5 years old and going strong. The two other finches are actually his stepchildren, as he fostered them from when they were just an egg. Its really complicated how that turned out, since they are not his nor his late mate’s, and I don’t know who the father was. The father is not one of my birds, anyway. That’s my canary who does what I bough him for, which is SING SING SING. Loudly! The house is always filled with birdsong. I plan to get him a mate someday, even though he is a big bully!

Whats fascinating about my birds is that they are each easily distinguished as an individual by voice, song, looks, and behavior. I know all their habits, and they know mine. I think they are smart for having a head not much bigger than my thumbnail. I know each animal is a individual, but it is so very hard to distinguish between individuals of some species.

Well that’s about it, I guess.

nice pics! sounds like your birds are smarter than my dog, a little chihuahua mix.

i don't know jack about birds but enjoy the pic you are sharing with us. thanks.

Awww...how pretty! That is really interesting to hear about your birds. I'm glad you finally posted some pics. Ever had any desire for a larger bird like a macaw or cockatoo?

Very pretty birds. That is really neat how they each have personality and vocal differences. I also enjoyed the part about how the recognize you differently, too.

I am also curious as to whether or not your interest extends to larger birds. I have always wanted a Congo African Grey, but I have neither the experience nor the money to attempt a venture like that.

How did your first bird lose his toe? Just the hazard of duty in the life of a bird?

Thanks for sharing, it's always neat to see other interests and past times outside of CPs on the board.

xvart.

Thanks, guys. Yes, i do want larger birds in the future, but getting a large bird that would bond with me has not been practical. They would need a whole new housing, since they see small birds as toys and would chew on my very large, custom-made oak cage (expensive, made especially for finches)

Second would be the fact that i would be away from home for an extended period of time while at college. Thats not fair for my parents or the bird.

With finches... well lets just say that they prefer to be left alone so my leaving doesnt affect them that much. I am just to big and strange a creature for them, a small prey species, to feel completely comfortable around.

Taco, how he lost a toe is a good question
rock.gif
. he was like that when i got him. I felt that e was the right one, and he is still my favorite, and he is the most tame. Plus, he is the only one that will 'talk' to me. Its really cute to hear him respond to my voice.

Zebra finches are great, they're so cute. And cheap too! My dad has two. They have a swing with a mirror attached. They get a kick out of checking themselves out in the mirror
biggrin.gif

I used to have Zebra Finches. They made lotsa babies.
biggrin.gif

-Ben

Cool photos! Not much of a bird person though I did know someone who kept zebra and another species of finch(name isn't coming, but makes a good foster parent and is social).

Anything on that critter in your avatar? Gouldian finch?

If I had time I would love some kind of large bird to get to know and bond with. I used to have Parakeet's when I was younger... my dad killed them while I was gone for a couple weeks he let them out for some air, forgot to bring them in. LOTS of fast weather changes in Idaho...

So from their my dad said they flew away... it wasn't till 2 years ago I found out... I was devastated up until then...

Back