Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reinstate the Draft

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you go to war on false pretenses and proceed to terrorize the populace that you set out to aide, I think that's pretty dishonorable. I have utmost respect for soldiers and their situation, but I've lost faith in the military as an institution and the people who are supposed to run it.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imposing our will is NOT democracy! For christ's sake! We have a VP who supports torture! Is democracy crushing someones car for stealing wood? WOOD! Is it the raping and killing of innocent civilians by soldiers? Is it torture?

What does "isolating" ourselves have to do with ANYTHING? Are you saying that your isolated if you don't police the world? Who are we to police the world?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um....

i agree with u about the pretenses but I dont think the operations of a minority of soilders and officers actin bad means you can paint them all as people out to terrorize the polpulace.

However, i cant even imagine what things the administration and military has not released that has gone wrong for political and public relatins reasons.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sen. Rangel has long been a draft supporter. But the reason is that he thinks we won't engage in disastrous and ill-conceived wars like the mess in Iraq if we had a draft. With an all-volunteer army, the tendency is to consider the soldier more expendable than if the pool of soldiers consists of everyone. That's his whole political point with this, and he is well aware that there is no public support for his proposal. There is no chance of a draft, so don't worry about it. The only exception is if the crazies in charge decide to invade Iran or whatever enemy du jour comes up next. We've blown our mission in Afghanistan, and made a complete mess of Iraq by spreading our troops too thin. Another war may just necessitate a draft.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly it, Finch. The responsibility for these actions is being loaded on to small fry, without any discipline for their COs for ordering these warcrimes. I'm not saying all soldiers are out to terrorize - I think very few of them are. But they still do it unintentionally, through their mere presence. Remember 'shock and awe?' Our military 'strategy' was to make the Iraqi people so insanely afraid of our military power that they would simply lay down their arms. But the problem with that is that Iraqis are dedicated to their social and religious principles in the same way that we Americans are devoted to ours, and just like America, they won't tolerate being bullied. So now, shock and awe has given us nothing except a nation of extremely angry, extremely defensive people who think that the only way to save their families and their way of living is to put their lives on the line fighting the occupying presence. And honestly, I think they might be right.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] I'm not saying all soldiers are out to terrorize - I think very few of them are. But they still do it unintentionally, through their mere presence
    then prehaps 'terrorize' is not the best term for it.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a dictionary definition:
    Terrorize: (verb) to create and/or maintain a state of extreme fear in (someone)
    If this is the meaning of terrorism, then I think we're more the terrorists than anybody else in this situation, except maybe Saddam when his regime was in power. The terrorists in the 'war on terror' didn't do much to maintain our fear, and I wouldn't even call it extreme fear, at least not after the initial 9/11 press fiasco died down. Not next to a nation of people living in fear of occupying forces right outside their door.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Nov. 20 2006,4:01)]
    Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Nov. 20 2006,12:52)]But the fact is we live in a fast-paced globalized world today and hesitation leads to more innocents dying.
    And this is any better?
    US Soldiers Crush Iraqi Citizen's Car as 'Punishment'
    Take a look at this and then tell me we're not the bad guys. Don't even get me started on what they don't have video of. I'm sure glad we have our troops in all these evil, heathen nations to show them what freedom and democracy is all about.
    ~Joe
    I'm sorry Joe but you cannot discredit everyone who is serving over there in Iraq and the objective because of a few a-wall soldiers. I know we can both agree that the objective over there wasn't to kill innocent lives.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast