What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reinstate the Draft

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Nov. 21 2006,3:45)]I don’t think we are ever going to find a clear-cut answer to the Israeli-Palestine conflict. There is just too much passion and conflicting information. Ultimately both sides have to come to a compromise or they will destroy each other, I think. The problem is neither side is willing to concede much or find middle ground. I think instead of debating how it came about we should try and see how things should be fixed. Both sides cant have everything while the other still exists.
the palestinians have already conceded almost 80% of their land, how much more can they concede. Also Palestinians for the most part would be happy if Isreal would just stop occuping what they have left and let them run their own country. Hamas has even said if Isreal would leave the west back and the Gaza strip and stop bulldozing palestinian villages to build Jewish only settlements they would stop the suicide bombings and call off the attacks against Isreal. Hamas even honored its cease fire with Isreal for a year past its expriation until Isreal shelled Palestinians killing 18 civilians. Isreal is the side that seems less and less likely to be willing to concede anything as time goes on.

I mearly said that there should be compromise, not that the current situation is the best!

At least what I think we can all agree on, no matter our position on the situation, is that everything going on right now is certainly no fun. Everything that's going on these days is confusing and I think we all wish things were normal.

-Gabe D.

So, maybe I missed it, but what the hell does this have to do with the draft?

absolutely nothing, thats what
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Nov. 20 2006,9:51)]You may not have said that torture is necessary, but you do seem to insist intelligence gathering is necessary, and your questions imply that you don't see any other way to do it. You can't get any closer to endorsing torture without saying it outright, especially when your comments are in rebuttal to the assertions of others that this torture is immoral and wrong.
As for your history of Jerusalem, I skimmed it, found no references, and given that you've demonstrated a lack of sources elsewhere in this argument, I have no reason to believe that it is at all based in reality.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This is simply not true.
Source please? I have much more reason to believe the likes of ktulu, whom has an established history of providing citations for his claims, than you, who, to my recollection, does not.
Thanks, ktulu, for catching that - I was just about to mention it.
~Joe
I don't know what wording works for you Joe so I'll try to say it again
rock.gif
:

I do not agree with torture.

Is intel important? Heck yes it is! It can make things like 9/11 happen or not happen.

If you would read my posts you would see my source:

http://www.sacredland.org/world_sites_pages/Jerusalem.html

Enjoy the reading
woot.gif

I'd ask for a source that *isn't* biased, but instead I'd actually like to see something relating to the original topic at some point.

You know, the one nobody's talked about in 7 pages?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mokele @ Nov. 20 2006,10:30)]I'd ask for a source that *isn't* biased, but instead I'd actually like to see something relating to the original topic at some point.
Resources

* Americans for Peace Now
* U.N. resolution 181, on the partition of Palestine
* Text of the Geneva Accord and BBC Q&A on the Geneva Accord
* Summary of Jerusalem's Holy Places and the Peace Process (published by the Washington Institute, 1998), a history of sacred sites in Jerusalem followed by management recommendations
* Jerusalem: One City, Three Faiths. Karen Armstrong. Alfred A. Knopf, 1996.
* The Traveler’s Key to Jerusalem: A Guide to the Sacred Places of Jerusalem. Martin Lev. Alfred A. Knopf, 1989.
* For an interactive overview of the history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict: CNN Special Report: Mideast, Land of Conflict.

Get back on track folks. This topic is about the draft...period!

Yeah!  Get back on track guys.
When you all leave for Afghanistan, Iraq, Darfur, Bosinia or wherever...PM me.  I will give you my address and accept responsibility for taking good care of your CPs.

By the time you all get back, I will have cornered the market and made a fortune.  I will of course, be glad to ship them back, for a small fee consisting of shipping, handeling, universal service charges, regulartory charges, FL State E911 fee and FL Comm Service tax, to those of you who so willingly served your country.  
usa2.gif

So the truth comes out, this was just Lauderdale's attempt at US CP Domination !! What is next ? The world ? I wouldn't be surprised if he was a "plant" for some foreign cp terrorist organization.

LOL The guy that sponsored the bill to reinstate the draft voted against it! LOL. He said he wanted it to be debated and not just a yes or no vote. I have no doubt that the draft will never be reinstated unless there is a tragic and horrifying WW3 that breaks out. Clinton should have never downsized the military like he did. Then we would have had enough troops, Thats another story though.

Dang I wish you Mods could split topics. Since when does a board not have the split topics option?

Any who. I am for torture! Well maybe torture is too strong of a word. I don't believe in beating the crap out of someone or making them think they are drowning. I am thinking along the lines of being really really annoying. Like sleep deprivation. Loud music that they cannot stand, ummm what else. Sodium penathal sounds like a good idea. A lie detector isn't going to work. It is based on heart rate and breathing. Heck I would probably fail one even if I was telling the truth.

Ktulu. I was the one who said we should drop a bomb on Teran. Sometimes you just have to treat children acting like children as such. I would give the people plenty of advanced warning and then drop a bunch of daisy cutters followed by a tactical nuke right on their main command bunker or atomic colider. Iran and N. Korea we should be scared of. Nukes are no joke, and everyone thinks we are too scared to use ours. Sometimes you must show some balls sometimes and do what they expect you wouldn't. Nuclear technology is a Pandora's box that can never be closed. It also must be policed. Granted we probably do not need our nukes, and heck I really do not want to drop one. Although a weapon that is never used is a useless weapon. Iran and N. Korea both are in search of that weapon that we see as useless and they will put a use to it. If not directly they will indirectly by enabling an extremist to use it as black-male or detonate it for real! I am all for nuclear energy. I hate the fact he depend on oil so much, but they do not need access to nuclear fuel or the technology to make it since that technology also makes weapons grade plutonium. I do not trust the oppressive leaders of Iran as far as I can through them. Nor the whack job Kim Jung Ill or however you spell his name. That is just asking for trouble. It is obvious N. Korea would use it as black-male or sell it to the highest bidder. They are desperate and crazy! Maybe not the people but the leadership is.

Now to the question posed why we have to be the worlds police. That should be an obvious question. Because we are a super power. That alone is enough to cause unrest and dislike for us. I know we have done alto of things to piss folks off, and if I was running things we wouldn;t have all this back stabbing and helping this person and not helping that person, but hey thats me. The fact still remains we are a super power and with that comes responsibilities to protect people. Not only us but the rest of the world. It is apparent that the UN cannot do anything. They stink and have NO power what so ever. They cannot stop N. Korea or Iran so we have to. I would like to see diplomacy work, but I don't see that happening. So what should we do about these two countries nuclear ambitions? Oh and I do not think we should give Asia the technology like I hear is planned. Even though they seem trustworthy. Nuke technology is a Pandora's box. You cannot just take back info.

Iraq. Its a mess over there. It is better than it was, but it is still a mess. We should just divide the country up into three areas and give each group there share. Then setup 3 governments and leave it be. We need to et out of there, but we cannot leave just yet. The country would go into anarchy and we would be worse off than we were with Saddam.

I don't consider sleep deprivation and loud music "torture".

What kind of loud music, if its gonna be megadeath, slipknot, or other stuff like that hek yes Ill be sleep deprived from listening to it 24/7!
laugh.gif

Techno......

Traditional jewish music would do the trick
smile.gif

The Key is to make themlisten to something they don't like LOL

I would say clasical or OPRA at very high volume would do it for me. Since I like NO opra and very little clasical. I might be able to tune it out though and accualy go to sleep, but thats where a bright room and banging stuff around to keep you awake somes in too. LMAO

But how are we going to define torture in the context of interrogation?

1) Any method used that forces someone to give knowledge unwillingly.

or

2) Any method used that causes physical or mental harm to a person that could also lead to death.

or

3) Any methods that are used besides X, Y, and Z.

Once again I'm just raising this question for debate, because it will be a problem most likely in the future dealings of captive terrorists. I personally don't think it is possible to extract intel from terrorists willingly. Sleep deprivation, truth serum, and loud annoying music IMO can be argued to be torture. The same with holding these terrorists in camps can be argued as torture. How do we handle this situation then? Dunno it's unprecedented.

All of you who are for torture, what happens when the government decides you have information it would like? Should you be tortured? Why dont we torture other criminals to find out more information? Who should have the right to administer torture? Should we have our drafted troops knocking down their neighbors doors and asking them questions at gun point? Again I see this line of thinking moving more and more twoards a police state, which would require a large military force to maintain.

As for conscription, lets look at countries with it to see if they are any less likely to get involved in wars. Syria, has a large military that requires a few years of service from all young men. Although they do not get involved in a bunch of actual wars, they are very well prepared for a war at the slightest provaction. Isreal requires all citizens to serve for 3-4 years I believe, but im not too sure on the number. They get into a full blow invasion quite easily and also occupy the Palestinian territories and the Golan Heights. So this shows that conscription is good if you want to place an army of occupation somewhere, but not that it prevents wars.

JB_orchidguy: You believe that over 12 million people in Tehran deserve to die because Iran is developing nuclear technology. First they havent produced anything that could be used for anything more than very poor reactor fuel. Secondly, nuclear technology tends to be somewhat delicate, a well placed series of traditional bombs and some bunker busting bombs could put their nuclear production out of business for quite a while, why kill so many people by using a nuclear weapon. Also if we are going to destory everyone who develops or attempts to develop nuclear weapons with out our permission that means India, Pakistan, South Africa, and Isreal all need to be nuked also since they developed nuclear weapons against the non-proliferation treaties. Should we nuke all of them too? This would result in a rediculous number of deaths. Though a draft would be necessary probably so that we could defend ourselves against pretty much every other nation on earth who would be outraged at our careless use of nuclear power. Of course this assumes no retalitory strikes were launched against us, in which case we can all assume the standard position with our heads between our legs kissing our butts goodbye.

Lol, I thought you said "as for constipation, lets look at countries with it to see if they are any less likely to get involved in wars"

Back