What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reinstate the Draft

Ok, a few things:

1) Am I the only one that remembers someone else proposing exactly the same bill about a year or two ago, as nothing more than a scare-tactic designed to raise opposition to the war by making it seem a real threat to everyone and their kids? Am I the only one who remembers it failing, as this assuredly will? It's a cheap political ploy, nothing more. $10 says it dies in committee and never even sees a vote. It's politics, not policy.

2) IIRC, top members of the military are opposed to the draft, and say it would do no good. Gone are the days you can just put someone through 90 days of bootcamps and hand them a rifle; modern soliders take years to train due to the incredible level of technology they work with daily. A draft would mean huge numbers of unmotivated people swamping the training infrastructure, preventing any of them from getting adequate training and actually *reducing* military effectiveness because they can't use our own technology. Quality, not quantity. Why do we need 2000 troops with M-16s when we can achieve the same goal with 20 troops and a few autonomous combat vehicles? The draft is a relic of the low-tech war, and makes as much sense as trying raise a class's GPA by adding more students rather than teaching them better.

Now, as for specific posts:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but the fact of thematter is you live in this country and enjoy its freedoms. If the country needs you you should go. Regardless of why you feel the war was started to begin with. You reaap the benefits of being free then you should have to chip in when needed to keep it that way.

I actually agree; if I believed a military action was necessary for the safety of the country and the preservation of freedom, I'd go (though, with my background, I'd likely just wind up as a weapons designer).

However, this war does *not* fit into that rubric. We haven't been attacked by Iraq, or even forces related to them (remember, the Iraq - alQaueda link has been disproved).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nect we need to take care of Iran. The tards! We should drop a 50 Kilo-ton Nuke right in the middle of downtown Teran and see how they like it. You want a Nuke Iran?? Well here is one, come and get it!

Yes, because murdering innocent civilians is always a good idea.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I could be wrong about this but I swear Bush said he would not have a draft. So as long as he's the President he will veto it.

As I said above, I doubt he'll get the chance. It'll die in committee assuredly. Bills that everyone hates never make it far.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Today's world is different from the old days where we could draw out borderlines and single out crazy rulers. Today countries such as Iran sponsor terrorists groups to do what they want. It is impossible to single out a terrorist group which is interleaved between citizens and multiple countries.

But then why use the old solution, war? Why not step back and say "hey, this terrorism thing is a totally novel form of war, so we need a novel solution"?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When you have enemies who do not accept your existance and despise that you exist how do you go about solving this problem? Ignoring them will just enable them to do more damage to us on our own ground because they will grow in numbers and sophistication. You can try to diplomatically fix things but once again we tried this before in the past and this just allowed for us to be minipulated by countries as Iraq and N. Korea. I whole heartedly wish that these things could be solved by us isolating our selves from everyone elses business and by diplomacy. But the fact is we live in a fast-paced globalized world today and hesitation leads to more innocents dying.

I think the issue is balance: we can't ignore other countries and just seal ourselves off, but neither can we go around poking our noses into everyone's business and acting as the world's policeman. We need to find a nice medium, and stick to it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We may have a VP who supports torture to get vital information from terrorists however we also have citizens who feel that these terrorists deserve the same rights as U.S. citizens. You tell me what is worse...

The former, easily. The ends do not justify the means, and furthermore, torture doesn't work! It has been repeatedly shown that confessions and information extracted under torture are so unreliable that you might as well just throw darts at a wall of random names, places and acts. People will say anything to stop pain, and that includes lying like crazy.

It's not about 'doing what it takes to keep the US safe', it's about using a method that's not only inhumane, but ineffective. Why even bother?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Who are we to sit and watch horrendus acts such as genocide happen when we can do something to prevent millions of people from dying? Who are we to just sit there and watch starving peoples die while we have surpluses of food? Who are we to watch sickly people die because they don't have access to vaccines and medicines? Who are we to just sit around and watch the AIDS cases grow in Africa when we have the knowledge to teach and educate Africans how to avoid contracting the disease?

And yet we've done none of these. Iraq's war crimes pale in comparison to Sudan, which this adminstration has pointedly ignored. If we spent even 1% of what we spent on Iraq on food for other nations, world hunger would end. Ditto for disease and HIV.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We were hated before we were in Iraq. It's funny how people forget 9/11. Who's country did we invade then? Even before 9/11 why was our embassys bombed? What did we do then?

But that was a small minority, a fringe group. Now the general world opinion is against us, and we've alienated badly-needed allies.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Israel historically and rightfully belongs to the Jewish people:

And the USA historically and rightfully belongs to the Native Americans. ALL of it. I don't see anyone arguing to give it back, though.

The only reason Israel was even created was because, in the aftermath of the Holocaust, some Christians decided to try to fulfill a Biblical prophecy and to hell with the consequences. We've been paying for that hubris ever since.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How were the Jews removed from their homeland? You mean to tell me that Muslims didn't violently remove innocent Jewish citizens from the lands that they had lived on for generations?

So, you'll be going back to Europe along with me when the United States of Native Americans forms?

Yes, what happened in the past was bad, but two wrongs do not make a right. Or will you be joining the Cherokee nation soon, or whichever one is the *rightful* owner of wherever you live?

Mokele

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
the Muslims should've recieved a humanitarian award for such a tolerant policy.

So tolerant that when a cartoon is published your publication building will be set on fire. So tolerant that when the Pope makes logical sense saying that religion shouldn't be about violence that you go out and kill a nun.

hmmm... I'm not so sure that's what the Pope said
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What we find to be fundamental human rights here in the U.S. do not apply to Terrorists. Remember the be-headings?

So you're saying they aren't human, or don't deserve human rights? You're willing to waive all standards of decent behavior just because someone is your enemy?

You should be ashamed to call yourself a Christian. Whatever happened to love thy enemy, to treating people properly even if they don't do the same to you?

Pathetic.

I don't think any of us have judged you, Outsiders. We're simply rebutting what seems quite evident to me to be your open endorsement of torture. When people say, "Torture is wrong," and your reply is, "Yeah, but what if we had to torture so-and-so for such-and-such a reason." it sounds an awful lot like you approve of it.
~Joe

PS - I stand corrected, I think Mokele is judging you. But he's probably right anyways.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

Lol, when I see them on TV saying we don't belong, that's their opinion.

You must of missed it when they were on TV with U.S. soldiers thanking them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
We are talking about puting plastic over someone and dunking/throwing water on them to make them think they are drowning. That's torture. I'd say not being tortured is a basic human right...

You are only speculating that we are doing this. What really is being done no one really knows...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Nov. 21 2006,1:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Actully Isreal rightfully belongs to the Canninites, read your bible it glorfies the Isreali massacre of the Cannintes (Dueteronomy 20:17). Also when did a religious text become the basis of estabilshing political borders? Doesnt pretty much every religion claim it has rights over the entire world, so which one do we choose.

I wasn't basing my reasoning biblically because obviously there are many here who don't give merit to that. Historically though the Jews settled there before the Muslims.
And the Canaanites were there before them. Why dont you advocate Italy ruling most of Europe, I mean they were there first. The jews that were there converted to Islam or has already left when Islam was founded. The few that were left were massacred mostly by Christians. Why should the Palestinian Muslims who had lived there for thousands of years pay for the sins of Christians and a radical German political party? Why does Isreal have the right to move a secular state to one based on religion and expel, massacre, and in many ways create the same situtation that they fled in Europe in the middle east. Do you hold the opinion of many people that Muslims are sub-human? Do you believe that Muslims dont have the right to own land, practice their religion with out persecution, and live in towns instead of refugee camps? Regaurdless of who was in the area first Palestinians had lived there, peacefully for thousands of years, and even welcomed the Jewish people PEACEFULLY into their state with the assumtion that they would assimilate into a secular state with the rights of both Palestinians and Jews protected until Zionists decided they needed their own country and did not want Muslim Palestinians living it. This to me is outrageous that a country that was formed due to discrimination would then act in this way. To say that Isreal rightfully belongs to the Jewish people and the Jewish people alone is to support something which in my opinion is down right dispicable and inhuman. Isreal should be one state encomapassing both Palestine and Isreal with secular government and no official religion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Nov. 20 2006,4:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
the Muslims should've recieved a humanitarian award for such a tolerant policy.

So tolerant that when a cartoon is published your publication building will be set on fire.  So tolerant that when the Pope makes logical sense saying that religion shouldn't be about violence that you go out and kill a nun.
Dude, did you even read that post? You've taken what I said totally out of context. Using words incorrectly is one thing, but please listen to my argument before you rebut it.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
So you're saying they aren't human, or don't deserve human rights? You're willing to waive all standards of decent behavior just because someone is your enemy?

No...I clearly said they don't respect our values of human rights.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
You should be ashamed to call yourself a Christian. Whatever happened to love thy enemy, to treating people properly even if they don't do the same to you?

Pathetic.

I have nothing to be ashamed about. I never said I was for torture please read..., I asked how we are to extract information from known Terrorists such as Osama when they know about a plot that is about to surface here in the U.S.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Dude, did you even read that post? You've taken what I said totally out of context. Using words incorrectly is one thing, but please listen to my argument before you rebut it.
~Joe

It's still relative you were talking about Muslim tolerance were you not?

I think the idea's stupid. If our wars were actually being fought correctly and for just reasons, then maybe more people would feel patriotic and supportive, and we wouldn't need a draft.(I don't support the Iraq war, but it's in more of a weird extreme conservative way)
Personally I probably could not be drafted. I am lactose intolerant, I have tourettes, and I take nine medications every day.
The bill probably won't pass and I'm glad for that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Nov. 20 2006,4:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
~Joe
It's still relative you were talking about Muslim tolerance were you not?

This is absurd. Why do you even want to debate about this if you're just going to talk in circles and ignore the points that everyone is making? You might as well go talk to a wall - you'll change just as many opinions that way.
~Joe

PS - No, it's not relevant, because I was talking about standards of civil human interaction in biblical times, when you're talking about human rights in modern times. We've made a ton of progress on human rights in the past 2000 years, and the situation is totally different today. Back when the Muslims taxed the Christians, it was a time when it was accepted - nay, expected - for rival nations and religions to cut each other down in the most violent, painful ways possible. Things are very, very different today. These are two separate contexts we're talking about, separated by 2000 years of history and unimaginably divergent philosophies on the value of a human life.

Ok EEvveryone,
chillpillqi7.gif

ktulu:

Why is it ok for the Jews to be kicked out of their land but not ok for the Muslims?

I don't think ktulu is saying it's alright, just that it's in the past. The deep past. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind; if we keep hurting each other simply for the sake of retribution, there won't be anyone or anything left. There are better ways to remedy these problems than war and genocide.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
This is absurd. Why do you even want to debate about this if you're just going to talk in circles and ignore the points that everyone is making? You might as well go talk to a wall - you'll change just as many opinions that way.
~Joe

How am I talking in circles and what points have I ignored? I'm sorry you feel that way Joe but I don't see how your methods are helping either. All you have done is slapped a few people on the butt and tried to gang up on me and insult me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
PS - No, it's not relevant, because I was talking about standards of civil human interaction in biblical times, when you're talking about human rights in modern times. We've made a ton of progress on human rights in the past 2000 years, and the situation is totally different today. Back when the Muslims taxed the Christians, it was a time when it was accepted - nay, expected - for rival nations and religions to cut each other down in the most violent, painful ways possible. Things are very, very different today. These are two separate contexts we're talking about, separated by 2000 years of history and unimaginably divergent philosophies on the value of a human life.

Ok so Muslims were tolerant back in the day. Why aren't they now?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Uh- oh. A comment like that will make it hit the fan. We dont want that to happen. Please keep the inflamitory remarks to yourself

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I don't think ktulu is saying it's alright, just that it's in the past. The deep past. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind; if we keep hurting each other simply for the sake of retribution, there won't be anyone or anything left. There are better ways to remedy these problems than war and genocide.
~Joe

I just think it's ridiculous to say that it is wrong to kick out a people who's lived somewhere for thousands of years but then not support that statement when it comes to the Jewish people.

I agree with you Joe but you are assuming that the people we are dealing with (Terrorists) and that Israel is dealing with are people who will sit down and talk things through. This is the problem. What is Israel supposed to do when the leader of the opposition says they deny Israel's existence and want them all to perish? These are the hard questions I'm asking, I'm not supplying any answers...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Nov. 21 2006,1:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

No...I clearly said they don't respect our values of human rights.
Please explain to me how they dont respect our values of human rights? Are we not the ones who have treated them with intolerance and insensitivity twoards their religious and cultural values.

And as for the recent incidents with the pope and the cartoon, I have found Christians are much less tolerent with others than Muslims. I have spent a good amount of time with Muslims and I would trust a Muslim with my life a thousand times before I would trust the average Christian with my life. You are looking only a the extreme examples. I guess you think we should blow up all medical procedure clinics then, I mean since thats what some christians do. I know lets bring back the inquisition and also take the position of Pope Innocent III (a very befitting name) of "Kill them all, for God knows his own!"

I dont believe that all christians hold these values, but if your going to imply the actions of a few exteremists represent all Muslims, then i will assume that is true for all religions and maybe I should call the FBI and report every christian I know for plotting an act of terror against medical procedure clinics.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Nov. 20 2006,8:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Uh- oh. A comment like that will make it hit the fan. We dont want that to happen. Please keep the inflamitory remarks to yourself
Perfect example Finch!

I'm not saying all Muslims are intolerant. I'm not saying Muslims are evil. All I know is that there was a cartoon published that created massive chaos. Then there was a speech by the Pope which once again led to more to chaos. Why? Because obviously somewhere in the Muslim population there is a "sample" that is intolerant. Are these the radicals? I don't know but I think whatever this Muslim "sample" is it seems to be growing and that is scary for everyone.

Back