What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

im not going to be so nice next year.........

hunting season is almost over and i havent shot anything.........next year im setting aside atleast one weeked to enjoy myself hunting.

played guide for 4 weekends now. tried to get a friend her first elk and attempted to get her daughter her first deer and would have done it to if her dad wasnt such an arse and had sent her gun with her. instead he kept it and made his daughter on her first actual hunt use a rifle(my wifes) she had never fired. should beat some sence in that idiot. had i known that she didnt have her rifle i would have taken her out after school and gotten her familiar with my wifes.

oh well to end things on a good note she did take home a trophy(see pic). while she and my stepdaughter were doing a lil exploring while we sat on the hill top and glassed for critters she found a massive elk shed.

oh well always next year................on a high note, im starting to make plans for a trip to Africa. we are going to take the oldest gal to Africa hunting as a graduation present......ive got 6 years to get 3 rifles built and beg borrow and steal enough funds to get over there and back
rockwoot.gif

IMG_0258.jpg

Why did this one sunk from view so quickly?  The deer antlers we stumble across here don't seem so impressive anymore.  Unless those girls are only 2 ft tall.  If they are, some of our antlers are pretty competitive.

I haven't given any thought to a graduation present for my daughter (13) yet, but am thinking it probably won't be a hunting trip to Africa.  I'm kind of scared to think about what she might ask for.  Probably a Ferrari.  This reminds me of a woman I know who was born on a farm in northern Maine.  Her parents had to sell the land because of financial problems and the graduation present for each of their 12 kids was a suitcase and one-way bus ticket to Massachusetts.

im going to australia for my graduation!!... but i dont know if thats college or highschool...
Alex

I have to pay for my own trip any where, my mom is gonna either buy me a camera (If I go into photography) OR a car.

I have to pay for my trip... And I'm starting to save.

sorry Bruce, both gals are over 5 ft
tounge.gif

know how yah feel................that one dwarfs any ive found and i have been roaming those hills and coulees for 5 years.......she found it on her first morning of walking.......

Oh, the machismo.

What are you going to hunt in Africa?

depends on how much money i can round up
tounge.gif
unfortunately the gal to the right pictured above has about the same taste in critters as i do so this trip is going to be dang expensive. but tops on my list are hippo, leopard and kudu. but since im also hoping for a good 14 days of hunting much more will prolly be shot by myself. course all 3 of the gals will hunting hard aswell so prolly going to be a truck load of critters. going to be a go with the flow kinda hunt and other than specifically targeting leopard and hippo it will be more or less hunting what we come across. should be a grand time....atleast 2 digital cameras and hopefully a movie cam makes the flight over aswell to fully document the trip.......

sad.gif

Please don't tell me you are gonna hunt big cat's, I really don't mind Any other animal. I dunno theirs no way I can really stop you.

going to hunt abig cat, Kate wants to aswell. no reason i can think of not to. leopards are not even close to being endangered plus they are a challenge. its not uncommon for it to take two or 3 trips over thereto get ashot at one......i hunt the lil cats here, might as well hunt the big ones over there....cant afford lion though, i dont have a lot of interest in them anyways

Hey Sheridan,

What caliber do you plan on loading up for the young girl to hunt with in Africa? I took the wife out to the range this year to see if I could get her into hunting a little. I loaded up a .270 with the smallest grain bullet I could find and used the smallest amount of powder that I could and she still did not like it very much. I may need to look into a .243

Cats hear need to be shot inbreed and over populated. But still they are loosing area fast. I just dont think big cats should be shot, I dont know... maybe im just over thinkin it.

Wolf the gals have a 7-08 that they love. interesting that your wife doesnt like the 270, my wife shot mine(it weights a good 1.5 pounds more than their 7-08) and she did not like it. to me i cant tell the difference between my heavy 270 and their light 7-08 as far as recoil but because of differences in stocks they really like the 7-08. one shot out of the 270 beat the snot out of the wife but she has put 4 shots from the 7-08 as fast as she could work the bolt and pull the trigger and was smiling afterwards. i cant figure it. im figuring loading it up with Barnes Triple Shocks for Africa, should handle all but the largest critters just fine.

me i think im taking a 9.3x62(think 30-06 with a bigger bullet and longer case body, pretty close to a 375-06 but not quite) and maybe...........if ruger comes out with it in the next year or so like they have been talking about a Ruger #1 in 450/400 3 inch Nitro Express.........two very classic rounds. plus i think if i get Kate to practice with the 450/400 using pistol bullets than she should be able to handle it with full loads against something that bites back over there as its not a hugely powerful round like its big brothers. a 400 grain bullet at 2100fps out of a 10 pound rifle should be manageable by most anyone who seriously wants to shoot one.

I haven't really been hunting before. I went to a firing range with my dad and used a hand gun and rifle. I didn't have amazing aim but it was still lots of fun. hope you have fun in Africa. Should be pretty cool.

-peace

And I suppose you are going to eat the leopard after you've slaughtered it?

Here we go again....hunters are the bad guys. That's right Sheridan, make sure you shoot it and make it bleed, really good, make sure you shoot it so you don't kill it, let it suffer, let it die a slow death....

Of course he'll be eating leopard. You stuff a hippo with a leopard and the leopard with a gazelle and roast it over an open fire for a week. That's why trips to Africa take so long - so much meat takes a lot of cooking time.

Was that Sarcasm or what? Also I never said Hunters where the bad guys, Ive killed quite a few squirles rabbits and birds, for the heck of it.

Back