Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: iPod and Limewire...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course we only use these programs for legal purposes (winkwinknudgenudgesaynomore)
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm downloading bittorrent now, for strictly legal purposes.

See guys, maybe it's just the raver it me, but we are all one! Life is about sharing! Except when it comes to my pie, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah! I typed in Dj tiesto (just to see, promise) and it popped up on firefox! Cool!

HOLY CRAP! fast! oh wait... now it's downloading...

Now then, what's a .torrent file, and can I put it on my psp If I chose to do so legally?

How do I play these?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .torrent files contain information describing a set of files for transmission via BT, and routing information identifying people hosting those files. You download a .torrent file from a tracker, which monitors peers in the BT network and maintains lists of which peers are sharing what files. The .torrent file tells your BT client where to connect to get the files, and how to put the data together once it's been transmitted to you. Once you have a .torrent, you open it with your client, and your client uses the data in the .torrent to download and assemble the files you're downloading.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well naturally

lmao. right over my head... All I really care about is if these are mp3's and if they will go on a mobile device lol.

It says it's got 9 hours to go on one legally downloaded song... Man that's fast...

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't actually play the .torrent files. When you find something you want on a BitTorrent tracker, you download the .torrent file for the stuff that you want (a file or sometimes a collection of files) and that .torrent file tells BitTorrent how and where to find the files you want downloaded.
    For example, you can find collections of literature via BitTorrent. You download a small file, call it books.torrent, from a tracker on the web. This .torrent contains a list of files (the individual books, say twelfthnight.txt, catcherintherye.pdf and kingjamesbible.doc) and some information regarding how large each file is and other things needed to make sure that the files you download arrive as they are supposed to be and not garbled in transmission. You take books.torrent and open it in BitTorrent; BitTorrent reads the .torrent and uses the information it contains to find and contact other BitTorrent users who have the files twelfthnight.txt, catcherintherye.pdf or kingjamesbible.doc. Up to this point, you haven't actually downloaded any of the books you were looking for. Once BitTorrent has found other users with the files mentioned in your .torrent, it downloads those files directly from their host to your computer. As your .torrent is named books.torrent, your files would probably appear in the directory specified by BitTorrent, inside a subdirectory entitled 'books.' The .torrents themselves contain none of the data you're looking for - just instructions to help BitTorrent find it.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also search for albums, which will probably bring more results than searching for individual songs. The great thing about torrents is you can choose to download only the files from it that you need (one specific song on that album for example).

Not that I would download anything or recommend downloading anything. Ever. Scout's honor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I teach drums at a local music store and I have several students who like to use Limewire to download free music. Every week I give them the same lecture!

"If you made money by playing music and people were downloading your music for free, how would you feel?"

Doesn't really work, but I try. I'm a rabid legal music download advocate. But you know, I don't have trouble with people who just use Limewire (or any other P2P program) to sample music and then legally buy what they like.

I use iTunes exclusively for music these days and I think it's one of the best things to happen to music in a long time. It's so convenient!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast