What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check your accounts

Call your service provider and ask them if you're getting the best rate.

I know most of you will say - waste of time. I'll share 2 quick incidents - one a few years ago & one current:

- Several years ago, the phone companies (AT&T, MCI, Sprint, etc) were offering money if you switched to them for long distance. Typically they offered $25 or $50 and other than a minor inconvenience of switching companies, there was no downside. I did it a few times. It eventually got old so I found the one w/ the lowest rates and stayed w/ them. Several months later, I started to see TV ads listing the price per minute for my phone company as the lowest. I assumed that I was given the new lower rate. After a few months of seeing these ads and noticing that my calls seemed to be more expensive than the rates on TV - I called. Turns out that I wasn't close to the lowest rate (I was close to double). After I switched plans to their new, lowest rate - I asked the rep how I can be sure that it's current. Bottom line - she recommended calling every 6 months and ask for a review. They will never proactively review your account and lower your rate.

- Fast forward to last month. My broadband modem developed some intermittant issues. After several calls to techs, they decided to send me a new one. While talking w/ the last tech, he mentioned my 'speed' and asked if I ever considered upgrading. I told him that I had the fastest speed they offered (which I did as of 12-18 months before). He chuckled and said I wasn't close. He said he would check my account & my line & assorted stuff. I chuckled and said - "yup - I probably have the lowest speed at the highest cost". Well - wouldn't you know - I was right? I was paying $20/mo more than the current speed I was receiving. Literally, I was paying for the fastest speed they offered but was getting their slowest. After getting my account straightened out - I asked them how to avoid this. Again - the only answer is to call and have them check your account. They will not do it for you....

Oo.gif

Thats deffinately good advice I know it seems like a pain in the rear end but its deffinately worth the phone call.

Good idea, it's been a year or so since I've checked. Thanks Ron

never woulda thought about that.

i hate Time Warner Cable. that is the ONLY provider in my area currently
mad.gif
they suck booty! service sucks, they just recently took over Comcast (who sucked, too) and now we're having all kinds of billing issues.

i don't have the patience to sit on the phone. guess it wouldn't hurt to comparison shop around every now and then. i hate Sprint, too, and wouldn't you know i'm stuck in a contract with them.

I'll be calling Qwest this Friday to elimenate a buncha services I don't use anymore and switch from DSL to 1.5Mbps. It costs the same as my DSL right now so I might as well switch to it and get more for my money.

Back