Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AP college coarses..... online!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot the most important question, Do YOU want to take the classes? If not dont because you will not put the time and effort into them that you should. If so, I disagree with those who say you should wait, you can get some basics out of the way and help get yourself used to college level classes before you have 4 or 5 of them at one time. I wouldnt take more than say 1 but If you really want to and are doing it for yourself then you should do it.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think i won't take more than one and take something easy. I think I finished English XI in about a month so college level shouldn't take me more than 2 or so. I dunno.

homeschool is great because there's no busy work and everything is online. It's totally sweet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely recommend taking AP classes; I took a total of 10 during high school, and it really helped by getting me ahead and out of the intro courses.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I guess that would leave more time for partying in college too... hehehee
    Actually, you'd have less time. The idea is to skip intro classes with the AP credits. So after the intro classes you get the harder classes (cover more specific topics.) So, um, that'll take more time.

I took... Pretty much every AP class my school had to offer except for AP Spanish and Stats (only offered 0 period, which wouldn't have worked out for several different reasons.) ONLY TAKE AP CLASSES THAT YOU'RE INTERESTED IN.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less time? NOOO!!!

Oh well. It's worth it for my future I guess.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, by the way, I did a little bit of figuring out today.

Turns out that between only my AP Bio and Calc tests, I saved myself from doing 24 units of college classes. That is, units transferrable to Berkeley College. Berkeley is like the west coast equivalent of Ivy League.

Needless to say I was happy when I found out I got out of 24 units from those two tests alone.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to a college "fair" today. I want to go to Berry. It's a comprehensive liberal arts college, and the people who follow their pre-med track have a 95% success rate in getting a job in the medical field. The lady said they basically "feed" student to Emory. She said that they primarily look at volunteer work when their grades aren't quite as high as they'd like.

http://www.berry.edu/

Look at that campus! It's like Hogwarts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no comparison between an AP class/test and an actual college class. My intro college classes blew me away by their breadth and intricacy. I was in college to be an engineer and my intro history and anthropology classes almost made me switch majors; my first economics class awakened a deep interest in economics; and my intro geology class made me decide to become a geological engineer.

Those are all classes/subjects I would have sworn I knew all about before college. I don't know which of them have AP tests, but I'm real glad I had to learn about them in college from people who dedicated their lives to those subjects. I don't know whether they're a symptom or a cause, but AP classes seem to fit right in with the growing inclination to see college as a trade school, whether leading to a bachelors degree in business or a PhD in biology.

People haven't been exposed to much by the end of high school and AP classes help them avoid being exposed to much else by the time they graduate from college. The only exception is for people who can't afford college otherwise and need to get as many free credits as possible. It means sacrificing some learning, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast