What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I overreacting?

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Last night my mom called and told me that my pet rat had died
sad.gif
I got off the phone with her and my bf was comforting me when his mom came out (yes the cow still lives here unfortunetly!) and saw me crying. She came over and put her cheek to my cheek and asked me what was wrong. I didn't want to tell her cause I knew she would react in a weird way, cause lets be honest, not everyone likes rats. But I told her that I had a rat and he had just died, she BURST out LAUGHING right in my ear! She proceeded to walk away and said oh honey I'm sorry for laughing, while she was still laughing! I just said, yeah I knew you would do that. I walked away and went to our room and my bf followed me and kept comforting me. I have NEVER had anyone laugh at me when I told them that one of my pets had died and it really effected me. I love ALL animals, and at one point I had 17 rats, so obviously I liked them, and to have someone laugh at me when I tell them that one died is just messed up! I just wanted to tell her to
mad.gif
off, but instead I kept my mouth shut. I don't want to belittle myself to her level. She's done many things to tick me off in the past but this is the final straw. Am I overreacting? If someone told me that their FISH died, I would not laugh at them, I would comfort them! I guess I was just raised better than that old hag.

sad6.gif
I needed to vent.

Yeah that's really mean. I don't think you overreacted (you didn't do anything...)

17 rats is a bit much... People will say you'r the crazy rat lady LMAO!

I don't think someone would cry over a fish.. unless it was an Asian Arowanna... and then I don't think it would be because they loved it that much lol

LOL, I know 17 rats is a lot but I was breeding them a few years ago, so that's why I had so many
smile.gif
Ok the fish was an example, but I mean if they had a pet that not everyone thought of as a pet and it had died, I wouldn't have laughed at them
rock.gif

.. like my poor wickle pippi......

Who's Pippi? Are you making fun of me now?
tounge.gif

I think you should talk to her about it. It shouldn't have matter WHAT animal died. The important point was that you were sad and upset. She should have looked past the fact that it was a rat and given sympathy for the fact that you were hurting. That's cold and rude by any standard. Then again, if she's the kind of person who could do that, then the utter lack of compassion she displayed would be lost on her anyway.

I'm sorry to hear about your rat. A pet is a pet in my opinion.

Fish have feelings too. Cry for fishy.

Thanks PAK, what you said was very sweet, thank you
smile.gif
One of the things I've learned from my bf is that his mom (and whole family) is very FAKE, so even if I did talk to her she would just say sorry and blah blah blah and it wouldn't mean anything at all. She's proven that many times. I just need to let it go and just consider the source, as my bf says
smile.gif

I thought you kicked her out and said that you would never let her back in your house ever again. I'm not sure but I think the topic of thread was "Am I overreacting?"

Umm that's pretty strange.

Huh.  Maybe you should send your bf's mother to FL.  Send a postcard ahead to Apgar's gator with a nice, juicy check....
evil.gif

angry.gif

What a [you fill in the blank]!

Pippi is my hedgehog.

Paranoid....

Her BF mom is already in fl.

aww im sorry. i took care of rats over the summer in 6th grade. i loved the little guys
smile.gif
when my sugar glider died no one laughed at it because they all know how important she was to me...
Alex

0zzy, I said that we were going to kick her out but that never happened, unfortunetly. And yes she is already in FL, with us, again unfortunetly.

JLAP- I'm not paranoid, I was joking, hense the
tounge.gif
 face. And I'm sorry about your Pippi, that's really sad
sad.gif

Glider, most people wouldn't laugh but then again there are those few who are just evil
mad.gif

0zzy, I'm not quite sure what you meant by hmmmm how strange.

Pippi is alive and well, thank you.

She won't eat her special hedgehog food, and I call it that because it has a hedgehog on the package and says hedgehog food, so back to cat food she goes!

Well I'm glad she's still alive.

I am too
biggrin.gif

It would have been SO funny if I said "I'm not
sad.gif
"

You know I think it's sorry that you would say that about your own hedgehog JLAP, I don't think it would have been funny at all. Sound familiar?

It's my animal, so I can say whatever the hell I please.

A wise man once said:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Dec. 01 2006,3:53)]ENOUGH BICKERING.

If you've got a problem then COOL OFF.

Work it out with each other, a mod, in private or just forget it. This isn't the appropriate medium for a private arguement.

Thank you.

Back