Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I overreacting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Last night my mom called and told me that my pet rat had died I got off the phone with her and my bf was comforting me when his mom came out (yes the cow still lives here unfortunetly!) and saw me crying. She came over and put her cheek to my cheek and asked me what was wrong. I didn't want to tell her cause I knew she would react in a weird way, cause lets be honest, not everyone likes rats. But I told her that I had a rat and he had just died, she BURST out LAUGHING right in my ear! She proceeded to walk away and said oh honey I'm sorry for laughing, while she was still laughing! I just said, yeah I knew you would do that. I walked away and went to our room and my bf followed me and kept comforting me. I have NEVER had anyone laugh at me when I told them that one of my pets had died and it really effected me. I love ALL animals, and at one point I had 17 rats, so obviously I liked them, and to have someone laugh at me when I tell them that one died is just messed up! I just wanted to tell her to off, but instead I kept my mouth shut. I don't want to belittle myself to her level. She's done many things to tick me off in the past but this is the final straw. Am I overreacting? If someone told me that their FISH died, I would not laugh at them, I would comfort them! I guess I was just raised better than that old hag.

I needed to vent.
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's really mean. I don't think you overreacted (you didn't do anything...)

17 rats is a bit much... People will say you'r the crazy rat lady LMAO!

I don't think someone would cry over a fish.. unless it was an Asian Arowanna... and then I don't think it would be because they loved it that much lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, I know 17 rats is a lot but I was breeding them a few years ago, so that's why I had so many Ok the fish was an example, but I mean if they had a pet that not everyone thought of as a pet and it had died, I wouldn't have laughed at them
    Great Googly Moogly!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .. like my poor wickle pippi......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's Pippi? Are you making fun of me now?
    Great Googly Moogly!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should talk to her about it. It shouldn't have matter WHAT animal died. The important point was that you were sad and upset. She should have looked past the fact that it was a rat and given sympathy for the fact that you were hurting. That's cold and rude by any standard. Then again, if she's the kind of person who could do that, then the utter lack of compassion she displayed would be lost on her anyway.

I'm sorry to hear about your rat. A pet is a pet in my opinion.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fish have feelings too. Cry for fishy.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks PAK, what you said was very sweet, thank you One of the things I've learned from my bf is that his mom (and whole family) is very FAKE, so even if I did talk to her she would just say sorry and blah blah blah and it wouldn't mean anything at all. She's proven that many times. I just need to let it go and just consider the source, as my bf says
    Great Googly Moogly!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast