What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Story of how Satan came to be found in the bible?

• Thread starter joossa
  • Start date
blablapa6.gif

MJ is a little off topic. Im planning to get into reading the bible a bit this weekend. Its been... a long time.

Satan is an interesting topic. The Bible's account of him and his origins are split up in several places thought the whole Bible. As others have said, Satan was the top angel, but rebelled against God (don't really know why, but some have suggested the plan to create Humanity is the reason), God casted him out of heaven. Satan fell to earth and established a kingdom here. Since the Creation of man, he has sought to destroy God's relationship with Man. Don't know really why, but I guess it is out of spite.

Now Farmer Dave asked a very loaded question, "Why did God create him if he was to become a rebel?" The same question can be asked of humanity, the Israelites, and Christians. The key thing to realize is that God wants to be loved. He wants relationships. Thus he made the very dangerous choice of giving free will to his creation. Without free will there can be no true love, no true relationships. In that single choice he gave the possibility of sin, evil, and separation. Yet, he also gave the possibility of love, glory, and relationships. Unfortunately, sin did enter into creation. Evil did rise up. These were the consequences of creating beings that are capable of love. God didn't want mindless droids who were forced to love and glorify God. God doesn't want to force people (or angels) to love him. He wants to be able to call out to them in love, and them respond. Sometimes that love is rejected.

Well I'll stop now before I go in circles any more. Like I said, the question of why God granted us Free Will, and why he has allowed evil to enter into the world is a question deep in controversy, theology, and emotion. So finding an exact answer is probably never going to happen, but will remain one of those little mysteries.

Sorta. God has given us a lot of clues, and a capability to reason out things. However, fully understanding God's motives or choices will remain a enigma as you say. I'm not one to say that I would ever be able to understand everything about someone who could put the entire universe on his finger.

I've commited Satan's crime millions of times. He was just a beautiful guy who wanted more glory for himself, and because of that he rejected God. Good and evil can't coexist, so Satan's dying in hell. And I would be dying here on earth if it weren't for God's amazing love for me.

Satan doesn't provide a balance for God. God was good before he created Satan, he will be good after he's finally destroyed. The universe is in perfect balance when everyone is good and gets along. Satan's evil provides contrast to God's good, but there's only balance if justice is served and Satan is condemned for his sin.

Hope this helps..
Peter

It is my opinion that you can have no good without evil. Without evil, the concept of good is null.

If you can have no good without evil, it must be good to be evil
smile.gif

I'm just a .. taoist i believe it's called lol.

then you're not agnostic, right?

Taoism is like a belief. I've always believed in balance in all things and someone called me a Taoist so that works for me. It's like Zen I guess.

^^All very, very interesting disscussions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Satan is an interesting topic. The Bible's account of him and his origins are split up in several places thought the whole Bible. As others have said, Satan was the top angel, but rebelled against God (don't really know why, but some have suggested the plan to create Humanity is the reason), God casted him out of heaven. Satan fell to earth and established a kingdom here. Since the Creation of man, he has sought to destroy God's relationship with Man. Don't know really why, but I guess it is out of spite.

^I really love how the story of Satan is really similar to and reflects the story of Sauron and the other Valar (and their servants) in Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. In fact, now that I think about it, Satan's story is indirectly reflected in many other works, like poems, additional novels, and video games (Final Fantasy, Tales of Symphonia, etc.).

Thanks for the responses!!

I have this question for you first, If you wanted to have free will say go drink? Get high? Or lust over that girl down the block. Is that not you're choice, its you're free will to be drawn to these things?

If we didn't have free will we would be like ants, or bee's running off of pheromones just doing what is told! if you were to throw free will, the breath of life, the thing NO other animal has on this planet IT changes from Strait up Stone cold person, into a caring, emotional being.

He gives us this to make a choice to decide, if we want to live for him or live against him. It would be pretty dumb if he just made us AUTOMATICALLY worship him the second we come out of the womb. But he does give us a kind of longing a kind of pull, (some more than others) towards him. You know that "Theirs got to be more to life than this" feeling?

Basically God gave us free will for a reason, its to give you a choice to love him or leave him. He loves you that much, weather you want to leave him for the worldly things, or go to him and lay it all down.

Same thing with Satan. God made Satan, he gave him a choice, he let Satan create his kingdom. God doesn't let any thing happen he knows we cant handle. Some times we let the world/Satan get the best of us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If we didn't have free will we would be like ants, or bee's running off of pheromones just doing what is told! if you were to throw free will, the breath of life, the thing NO other animal has on this planet IT changes from Strait up Stone cold person, into a caring, emotional being.

/\ that's not completely true, many animals care for each other and they're young, some care even more than humans. Such as the Pacific Giant octopus, which sits guarding it's eggs for months without eating, and usually dies. Like dogs, who commonly show affection to their owners, other people, and other dogs.

Hang on a sec...I was under the impression that, in Christian mythology, humans were given free will, but angels were not.

Mokele

I have a question to those of that beleive in the christian religion: Can God do anything?  Can he see and predict the future?

By the way, speaking of MJ, has anyone ever played Michael Jackson's Moonwalker for sega genesis?  Just curious..  
wink.gif.gif

In Christian "mythology", angels are creatures subject to God. They, just like us, have free will.

Mr. William Shakespeare said "What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god."

Anyone knows that the human is a special kind of beast. We have understanding and curiosity for things way beyond the scope of our 74 year lifetime. We love logic, we love to make art, and all for no apparent reason. We have the ability to love or ignore, and somehow we know which is good and which is evil.

"And God said, let us make man in our image", the story runs. He created, we create. He loves, we love. He is order and cleanliness and beauty, we try to be the same. WE ARE LITTLE GODS! That's what sets us apart from angels, and thats why God loves us and wants to adopt us as family.

Or maybe we're just animals with extraordinary superpowers. But the 3000 year old "mythology" from a nomadic tribe that kept records farther back than any other peoples does have a ring of truth to it.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]By the way, speaking of MJ, has anyone ever played Michael Jackson's Moonwalker for sega genesis? Just curious..
wink.gif.gif

Wow, didn't think I'd be posting in here, but randomly hlancing and seeing this... HELL YES! That's theone where you've got magic that you can use on special dance moves that damage enemies and you rescue the little girls by checking all the doors and at the end of each stage Bubbles sits on your shoulders and points to the direction of the exit, right? Glad to see I'm not the only one who's played a MJ game.

:highfive!:

Acording to the bible, god is all powerful and omnipotent (sp?) aswell as omnipresent.

He can do ANYTHING you can imagine. For some reason he doesn't though. I suppose you could say the absence of evidence is no the evidence of absence.

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
--Tom Waits

all this talk about the creation and fall of satan and NOBODY has even thought to bring up Paradise Lost.

Back