What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Story of how Satan came to be found in the bible?

• Thread starter joossa
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 06 2006,6:13)]Lol, Interesting how you make a comment asking me a serious question, then when I reply and was VERY nice about it considering everything, you make a comment like that. Now that's the christianity I know and love.

What kind of help? Sexual reversion therapy perhaps? Religions Brainwashing I mean bible camp?
I said you needed help because you don't understand what I'm saying. The 2nd part of your message is another prime example of what I mean.

My beliefs are based from the Bible and I argue from that perspective. Your means of argument are plain and simple old-fashioned mud slinging.

Anyways you are taking this topic...off-topic. If you want to continue to mud-sling feel free to PM me and we'll continue it there.

Lol, how was I supposed to take it dude? Considering the cicrumstances. Auctually, i think my reply was 150% in line with what you were saying.

Mud slinging? Ok, whatever. Just because I disagree with you on... pretty much everything, now i'm a mud slinger. That's cool. If you want to ignore the bad things god commanded that's fine. Slavery, forced marriage, selling of children, murder, I guess that's fine with you; I mean it IS in the bible afterall.

Told you I could get nasty, Antilion.

You're right. Let's get back OT. I'm not going to PM you, but thanks for the offer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Dec. 06 2006,9:38)]A relationship with God is an abusive one? He must have been really abusive to you because all you have for Him is hate. Either way He still loves you!
I don't know why it never occurred to me to Google "abusive relationship" and "god" together until now... looks like a few people have gone into the correlations at length already.

http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/relationship.html
http://atheism.about.com/od/whatisgod/p/AbuserAbusive.htm
http://www.losingmyreligion.com/essays/abuse.html

WOW! VERY NICE! Never even crossed my mind before! Thank you EP!

"Religions like Christianity are abusive insofar as they encourage people to feel inadequate, worthless, dependent, and deserving of harsh punishment. Such religions are abusive insofar as they teach people to accept the existence of a god which, if human, would have long ago been shut away in prison for all his immoral and violent behavior."

I particularly liked that one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 06 2006,8:24)]WOW! VERY NICE! Never even crossed my mind before! Thank you EP!

"Religions like Christianity are abusive insofar as they encourage people to feel inadequate, worthless, dependent, and deserving of harsh punishment. Such religions are abusive insofar as they teach people to accept the existence of a god which, if human, would have long ago been shut away in prison for all his immoral and violent behavior."

I particularly liked that one.
Hmm....

If we are so worthless, and if we are so deserving of harsh punishment then why did Jesus come down from Heaven and die on a cross saving us from the ultimate punishment?

No one ever said we were. You are making up things no one ever said. I believe is said "they encourage people to feel inadequate, worthless, dependent, and deserving of harsh punishment."

Inadequate, Well, i believe I'm an abomination last time I read the bible. One could interpret inadaquecy as depending on a god to "save" you.

Worthless, Hey, i'm just a worthless sinner. God, out of his graciousness, offers me salvation because without him I am NOTHING. Atleast that's what the christians would have you believe.

Dependant, well that's just self-explanatory.

Deserving of harsh punishment, I think eternal da mnation is pretty harsh. I deserve to go to hell because i'm a filthy, immoral, hedonistic sinner. Atleast that's what "some" people have told me, although in not quite as nice terms sometimes.

In a philisophical conversation, it's better to say things like "well, according to christianity" or "I belive" or "It's my belief, based on personal experience...." Or "according to the Bible, Jesus did this this and this". See, not everyone believes Jesus came down from heaven and died on a cross. You are presenting it as a fact, and while it may be to you, there is no way to prove it.

Satan, anyone?

Does the bible tell us whether or not paper money should be changed so blind people can tell the difference between a 1 and a 20?  Or whether NY should ban trans fats in restaurants to improve public health?  If the bible is the final authority as to who's allowed to have a relationship with whom, it needs to also guide us through the other issues of today.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Dec. 06 2006,8:43)]If we are so worthless, and if we are so deserving of harsh punishment then why did Jesus come down from Heaven and die on a cross saving us from the ultimate punishment?
There was an episode of Futurama where a guy thought his friend (a robot with little regard for human life/feelings/etc) was lost forever in the depths of space. While he was reminiscing, he looked at a picture of them where the robot was jovially dangling him off the torch of the Statue of Liberty by his foot. He said, wistfully, as if it was one of the nicest things anyone had ever done for him: "He didn't let go."

For some reason that's what popped into my head when I read that sentence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 06 2006,8:52)]No one ever said we were. You are making up things no one ever said. I believe is said "they encourage people to feel inadequate, worthless, dependent, and deserving of harsh punishment."

Inadequate, Well, i believe I'm an abomination last time I read the bible. One could interpret inadaquecy as depending on a god to "save" you.

Worthless, Hey, i'm just a worthless sinner. God, out of his graciousness, offers me salvation because without him I am NOTHING. Atleast that's what the christians would have you believe.

Dependant, well that's just self-explanatory.

Deserving of harsh punishment, I think eternal da mnation is pretty harsh. I deserve to go to hell because i'm a filthy, immoral, hedonistic sinner. Atleast that's what "some" people have told me, although in not quite as nice terms sometimes.

In a philisophical conversation, it's better to say things like "well, according to christianity" or "I belive" or "It's my belief, based on personal experience...." Or "according to the Bible, Jesus did this this and this". See, not everyone believes Jesus came down from heaven and died on a cross. You are presenting it as a fact, and while it may be to you, there is no way to prove it.
I was responding to the people who "feel".

There is no inadequacy when you have a relationship with God. God makes us strong when we are weak or unable. I don't see how this is abusive.

We don't have to depend on a God to "save", He already has and offers everyone that free gift.

There is no feeling of self-worthlessness when you have a relationship with God.

Matthew 18:10-14

I do depend on God and there's nothing abusive about that. It is a strength that I have the almighty God in my corner listening to my concerns and life struggles.

It is not abusive to know that for my sinful actions I deserve a harsh punishment. It makes me humble and eternally-grateful for what my Savior has done for me. Praise the Lord for taking my place!

Yes you're exactly right. I do believe it is fact that Christ came down from Heaven and died on a cross. So why would I present it any other way?!

I think its kinda funny how the bible says that People are gonna not like you for what you believe, basically and it happens every day... this is just another example of it.

Hell, sometimes i think about the world and stuff that is foretold (just the other day Russia was talking about forming an allaince with Iran) and I think "wow, what if i'm wrong? I'm screwed" But the whole god stuff just really isn't applicable to my life (I say it's not applicable and it is so. Don't tell me "Oh but God's love is applicable to EVERYONE")

I'm happy with my life. It would be easier not to fight the opression that the Christian agenda tries to force upon me, but hey, whatcha gonna do? (and don't say "accept Jesus as your lord! or any of that other "stuff")

I am my own god.

Cody, I like you. You're an awesome dude! I don't have a problem with you'r beliefs. Hell, I don't have a problem with Outsiders beliefs. I DO have a problem when they try to force those beliefs upon us and they forget that america is a secular nation, or atleast supposed to be. you, thankfully, are very openminded and cool with everyone and that's why you'r cool.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Dec. 06 2006,9:58)]I think its kinda funny how the bible says that People are gonna not like you for what you believe, basically and it happens every day... this is just another example of it.
All you're being asked to do is hold up to the same scrutiny everyone else has to.

Come on JLAP, you were getting a little personal there.  Don't single Outsiders out as the christianity pushing bad guy.

I think I'm going to give the bible another read.  Haven't for a long while.

Also,  I don't beleive that religion often makes people have the feeling of worthlessness.  It's a great tool in my opinion so you don't have to stress what happens to you when you die or when life gets tough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 06 2006,10:30)]I DO have a problem when they try to force those beliefs upon us and they forget that america is a secular nation, or atleast supposed to be.
WRONG...

Our country was founded on Christian beliefs by God loving people. Not seculars.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JRFxtreme @ Dec. 06 2006,11:36)]Come on JLAP, you were getting a little personal there. Don't single Outsiders out as the christianity pushing bad guy.

I think I'm going to give the bible another read. Haven't for a long while.

Also, I don't beleive that religion often makes people have the feeling of worthlessness. It's a great tool in my opinion so you don't have to stress what happens to you when you die or when life gets tough.
Thanks man!
smile.gif
I'm honestly only trying to provide truths and insight to questions about Christianity. It's not good when one side speaks for both sides if you know what I mean.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Dec. 06 2006,11:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 06 2006,10:30)]I DO have a problem when they try to force those beliefs upon us and they forget that america is a secular nation, or atleast supposed to be.
WRONG...

Our country was founded on Christian beliefs by God loving people. Not seculars.
Auctually I believe it was founded on religious freedom, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe atleast one of the FF's was Diest. Thomas Jefferson IIRC. He was pretty much secular. He even wrote a book, something like the Jefferson Bible. I believe he called the book of revelation the writings of a maniac. He rejected the divinity of Christ.

Even if it WAS founded on christianity, guess what? things change. That was a long time ago.

As far as singling him out, I'm not. If anyone else said the things he does i'd treat that person the same way. If my own mother said those things, I'd treat her the same way. Thankfully, my mother is secular. Yeah she believes in god but it doesn't play a big part in her life. Hell, we've never been to church. She doesn't quote scripture thank god! On the other hand, my grandparents on my fathers side and my great grandmother, well that's all they ever do. Go to church and read the bible. What a great life. It's interesting aswell how my grandmother was married 11, yes, ELEVEN times in her life, dropped my dad in my great grandmothers lap as a child so she could go off a screw every dude in town, and when my autn cought VD or something like that, my great grandmother kicked her out of the house. Now that's tolerance! Thankfully they were unable to spread their disease of religious fanaticism to my father. They are all seen as religious nuts by my family. They even bought us a subscription to Decision magazine. We're too polite to tell them we don't want it. We have as little contact with them as possible.

Outsiders, If I get personal and you can't take the heat, feel free to let me know and i'll back off. At the same time, don't hesitate to say something to me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 07 2006,9:48)]She doesn't quote scripture thank god!
LOL!

Lol, yes i love my mom to death. She's totally cool with my sexuality (maybe not my piercing, but she won't find out about that) lol.

This is a very good read. It's a debate on the US being founded as a christian nation. It IS on an atheist forum, so I will admit that by the nature of the forum with the majority being atheist there is a bias.

http://www.atheistnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?t=16001

And to back up my statement at how murderous your god is, I can quote scripture, too!

"And The Lord [see Rock Of Ages] said to Moses ... He who blasphemes the Name of The Lord shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him; the sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death." (Leviticus 24:13,16 RSV)

"If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son, or your daughter, or the wife of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, entices you secretly, saying, 'Let us go and serve other gods ... You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from The Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage." (Deuteronomy 13:6,10 RSV)

"While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day ... And The Lord said to Moses, "The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp." (Numbers 15:32,35 RSV)'

If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city. Deuteronomy 22:23-24

If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her ... and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid: Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate: And the damsel's father shall say ... these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city. ... But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die. Deuteronomy 22:13-21

If there be found among you ... that ... hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them ... Then shalt thou ... tone them with stones, till they die. Deuteronomy 17:2-5

f a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27

Thou didst blaspheme God and the king. And then carry him out, and stone him, that he may die. 1 Kings 21:10

And now we shall look at other BS punishments. This text is courtesy of Landoverbabtist.org

1. What punishment did God say is mandatory for an unruly child?

Correct answer: D. (Stoning To Death) "And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die" (Deuteronomy 21:20-21). "For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death" (Mark 7:10). "And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death" (Exodus 21:15). "And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death (Exodus 21:17)."

2. What is God's punishment for women who wear showy jewelry and clothing?

Correct answer: C. (Ugliness, misery and death) "In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon. The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, The rings, and nose jewels. The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails. And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty. Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy might in the war. And her gates shall lament and mourn: and she being desolate shall sit upon the ground" (Isaiah 3:17-26).

3. What is God's punishment of those who overeat?

Correct answer: B. (Death by plague) "And the people stood up all that day, and all that night, and all the next day, and they gathered the quails: he that gathered least gathered ten homers: and they spread them all abroad for themselves round about the camp. And while the flesh was yet between their teeth, ere it was chewed, the wrath of the Lord was kindled against the people, and the Lord smote the people with a very great plague" (Numbers 11:32-33). "The wrath of God came upon them, and slew the fattest of them, and smote down the chosen men of Israel" (Psalms 78:31).

4. What did Jesus say happens to those who have premarital sex?

Correct answer: C. (They cannot enter Heaven so they must wind up in Hell) "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

5. What is the punishment for a single mother having a boy out of wedlock?

Correct answer: D. (The woman may not be punished but the child and his descendants will go straight to Hell) "A nice guy shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord: even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord" (Deuteronomy 23:2).

6. What has God done in the past to children who make fun of unattractive people?

Correct answer: D. (He sent bears to maul the children to death) "And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them" (2 Kings 2:23-24).

7. What punishment did God promise for promiscuous women?

Correct answer: B. (His followers will cut off their noses and ears, burn them in fire, take away their children and strip them naked) "And I will set my jealousy against thee, and they shall deal furiously with thee: they shall take away thy nose and thine ears; and thy remnant shall fall by the sword: they shall take thy sons and thy daughters; and thy residue shall be devoured by the fire. They shall also strip thee out of thy clothes, and take away thy fair jewels. Thus will I make thy lewdness to cease from thee, and thy nice galdom brought from the land of Egypt: so that thou shalt not lift up thine eyes unto them, nor remember Egypt any more" (Ezekiel 23:25-27). "And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the nice gal, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire (Leviticus 21:9)."

8. What does God demand happen to those couples who have sex during the woman's time of the month?

Correct answer: C. (They are to be banished from society and not permitted to interact with civilized people) "And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people." Leviticus 20:18.

9. What punishment does God mandate for a man who rapes a virgin?

Correct Answer: D. (The rapist and his victim shall be married) "If a man finds a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days Deuteronomy 22:28-29)."

10. What did Jesus do to those who failed to sell all their possessions and give every dime to the Lord?

Correct Answer: C. (Jesus struck them dead) "But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet. But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? . . . And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things. . . . Then fell [Sapphira] straightway at [Peter's] feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband." Acts 5:1-10.

That's the most loving being i've ever met. Man, I'm so happy someone loves the world as to have sent his only begotten son to die for out sins, such as wearing too much jewelry, being born out of wedlock, being violent act, and if you're a woman, having sex on your period.

What I find most loving about god is how he often punishes innocent children, such as those of promiscuous women and those born out of wedlock.

SERIOUSLY! HOW CAN PEOPLE IGNORE AND/OR JUSTIFY THIS! THIS IS MURDER! THIS IS NOT JUSTICE! DON'T GIVE ME THAT CRAP ABOUT IT "BEING JUSTICE BECAUSE GOD COMMANDED IT"! THIS IS MURDER!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 07 2006,9:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Dec. 06 2006,11:46)]
[b said:
WRONG...

Auctually I believe it was founded on religious freedom, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe atleast one of the FF's was Diest. Thomas Jefferson IIRC. He was pretty much secular. He even wrote a book, something like the Jefferson Bible. I believe he called the book of revelation the writings of a maniac. He rejected the divinity of Christ.

Even if it WAS founded on christianity, guess what? things change. That was a long time ago.

As far as singling him out, I'm not. If anyone else said the things he does i'd treat that person the same way. If my own mother said those things, I'd treat her the same way. Thankfully, my mother is secular. Yeah she believes in god but it doesn't play a big part in her life. Hell, we've never been to church. She doesn't quote scripture thank god! On the other hand, my grandparents on my fathers side and my great grandmother, well that's all they ever do. Go to church and read the bible. What a great life. It's interesting aswell how my grandmother was married 11, yes, ELEVEN times in her life, dropped my dad in my great grandmothers lap as a child so she could go off a screw every dude in town, and when my autn cought VD or something like that, my great grandmother kicked her out of the house. Now that's tolerance! Thankfully they were unable to spread their disease of religious fanaticism to my father. They are all seen as religious nuts by my family. They even bought us a subscription to Decision magazine. We're too polite to tell them we don't want it. We have as little contact with them as possible.

Outsiders, If I get personal and you can't take the heat, feel free to let me know and i'll back off. At the same time, don't hesitate to say something to me.
Anyone who believes this country was founded on secular beliefs needs to go back to history class. It was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs.

Times are changing? Maybe in Massachusetts...I think the only thing that is going to be changed is a permanent answer to the debate. We'll just have to wait and see where America wants to go.

I can take your heat don't worry. Like I said before I don't take what you say personally so you can say whatever you want to me. If for some reason you do trigger something that effects me personally I will forgive you for it. I just wanted to thank JRFxtreme for being able to see what I was talking about.

Back